U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 05:20 AM

7,693 posts, read 4,551,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Jacksonville's city population is an anomaly of it being coterminous with it's county. It's "vibrancy and street level activity" are right in line for an MSA of 1.4million people, which is a FAR better way of gauging city size. I'm not sure JAX really qualifies as a "big" city for this discussion, city population is well known as the worst possible metric for sizing up a city come on now.
I find this POV incredibly suburb centric. As someone who spent his entire life in cities, I can't tell you how little impact the outlying metro area has had in shaping my urban experience. Metro may matter for Sunbelt cities, but legacy cities thrive on the population density of their urban core, and not the fact that 1 million people live within a 45 minute drive. Every city that people say out punches it's class, happens to be dense and urban. In these cases it is always the city, and not the metro that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 05:34 AM

608 posts, read 434,721 times
For 2.4 M people, i think San Antonio is very laid back

Old 03-29-2016, 06:09 AM

3,718 posts, read 3,570,956 times
Most cities seem slow paced to me outside of the Northeast. I was in Tampa last week (from Pittsburgh), and the paced seemed much slower even though they are similarly sized.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:24 AM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I find this POV incredibly suburb centric. As someone who spent his entire life in cities, I can't tell you how little impact the outlying metro area has had in shaping my urban experience. Metro may matter for Sunbelt cities, but legacy cities thrive on the population density of their urban core, and not the fact that 1 million people live within a 45 minute drive. Every city that people say out punches it's class, happens to be dense and urban. In these cases it is always the city, and not the metro that matters.
His point was that Jacksonville's city limits are extremely generous as it is a consolidated city so you can't really use municipal population as an appropriate gauge for its real size here; the metro population figure is a better standard to use within this context and as such, it's really not a "big city."

Old 03-29-2016, 06:30 AM

7,693 posts, read 4,551,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
His point was that Jacksonville's city limits are extremely generous as it is a consolidated city so you can't really use municipal population as an appropriate gauge for its real size here; the metro population figure is a better standard to use within this context and as such, it's really not a "big city."
Then " Jacksonville doesn't have a real city density" would be more apt than "metro is more meaningful than city".

Old 03-29-2016, 06:36 AM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Then " Jacksonville doesn't have a real city density" would be more apt than "metro is more meaningful than city".
Well there are small/midsized cities with high densities also, so that wouldn't really be any more apt.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:04 AM

6,552 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Would Denver be considered slow pace, or not? From my observation, people here are always in a hurry for no apparent reason.
Yes Denver is slower paced. I've had two different jobs where the boss has told me "just be at your desk by 9 and don't leave earlier than 4." If you try that in Dallas you'll likely miss meetings, get the stink eye from your boss, and possibly get fired.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:04 AM

3,952 posts, read 3,487,388 times
Quote:
If you expand any city to almost 800 sq mi you're going to dilude density from the core. If Jacksonville were 70 sq mi people would view it differently, it would have "real city density", and the only thing that would change is city boundaries. Regardless of a suburb/urban POV, it looks and feels like the anchor of a 1.4 million person metro area.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:17 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Quote:
If you expand any city to almost 800 sq mi you're going to dilude density from the core. If Jacksonville were 70 sq mi people would view it differently, it would have "real city density", and the only thing that would change is city boundaries. Regardless of a suburb/urban POV, it looks and feels like the anchor of a 1.4 million person metro area.
Curious what its population density would be at 70 sq. mi....

Old 03-29-2016, 08:19 AM

6,849 posts, read 7,795,643 times
Quote:
I'm not familiar with JAX, but it seems your impressions would be testable by considering how the core of JAX compares with that of similarly populated MSAs: Providence, Milwaukee, OKC and Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or