U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2016, 02:15 AM
 
Location: Detroit
3,655 posts, read 4,600,098 times
Reputation: 2566

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I had a thread about this subject a few months back, and no good answers came up.

I have to wonder if people who didn't grow up in the Northeast Corridor just tend to grossly stereotype about the area because they aren't from there. I mean, I've known New Yorkers who like nothing better than to take two hour lunches if they can get away with it.

As far as I can tell, "pace" would be most strongly associated with conscientiousness when considering the "big five" personality traits that psychologists believe are fundamental. Conscientiousness basically is a measure of how thorough, careful, and vigilant someone is. Someone who has a high conscientiousness is organized, a hard worker, and great with deadlines. Someone with low conscientiousness is messy, lazy, and procrastinates. The trait does vary across the states. Let's see how it does...



Hrrm. The highest values are in the Bible Belt. The lowest values are in the Northeast. Northeasterners are the most naturally "lazy" people in the country.
I've never had this explained to me either. I can understand a city being busier or more vibrant but I don't really get how a city can be faster lol. For example... random STL neighborhoods has about the same pace as random neighborhoods I visited in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2016, 04:55 AM
 
7,703 posts, read 4,562,015 times
Reputation: 8417
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I've never had this explained to me either. I can understand a city being busier or more vibrant but I don't really get how a city can be faster lol. For example... random STL neighborhoods has about the same pace as random neighborhoods I visited in LA.
It really is perplexing, especially as it relates to Chicago. I'm native New Yorker who's lived in Chicago, DC and Boston. Of the three, I've always found Chicago most similar to NYC, so I'm flummoxed whenever I see mention of Chicago's "Midwestern pace". Do they mean people are friendlier? For equating rudeness with pace, then Boston it is the fastest city in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 06:33 AM
 
33 posts, read 27,434 times
Reputation: 44
Wow lots of replies..I kind of quit checking back after all the Jacksonville talk. Let me define what I mean by fast paced. I currently live in Chicago and it is NOT slower paced. I hate it. I try so hard to like it because there is so much to do but I just can't get on bored with the hustle and bustle. By fast paced I mean I feel like I am always in a hurry even in situations where I don't need to be, like grocery shopping for an example. A lot of my coworkers and friends work outside of office hours at home and are always connected and answer work emails at night. When I get to work in the mornings no one even says good morning. The first thing I hear from someone is something like "did you get that email? Did you have a chance to do that purchase order? Did you hear back from blah blah blah?" I grew up in Illinois but 3 hours south of Chicago. Yes...the Midwest is a slower pace in general but Chicago is most definitely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,416 posts, read 11,920,328 times
Reputation: 10536
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_nc23 View Post
Wow lots of replies..I kind of quit checking back after all the Jacksonville talk. Let me define what I mean by fast paced. I currently live in Chicago and it is NOT slower paced. I hate it. I try so hard to like it because there is so much to do but I just can't get on bored with the hustle and bustle. By fast paced I mean I feel like I am always in a hurry even in situations where I don't need to be, like grocery shopping for an example. A lot of my coworkers and friends work outside of office hours at home and are always connected and answer work emails at night. When I get to work in the mornings no one even says good morning. The first thing I hear from someone is something like "did you get that email? Did you have a chance to do that purchase order? Did you hear back from blah blah blah?" I grew up in Illinois but 3 hours south of Chicago. Yes...the Midwest is a slower pace in general but Chicago is most definitely not.
Your work situation is almost certainly just an artifact of a high-stress office environment. I'm not sure it would be any better anywhere else, at least within the field you are part of. Maybe you should look for a lower-paying job with less responsibility where you have a lot of down time during the day?

As for the grocery store thing, as I said, it has been found that people do walk faster in more expensive cities, for reasons no one is really sure of.

I know from dealing with my wife and her side of the family that I am one of the "fast" sort of people. I'm always in a hurry, but that's mostly because I want to get stuff done so I can have more "sitting around time." I'm also pretty lazy and tend towards procrastination when I can get away with it. So I don't think being "fast" has much to do with being Type A at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
1,377 posts, read 1,194,658 times
Reputation: 2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Moderate in the way they interact with others, moderate in their political leanings, (perhaps not in Minneapolis or downtown Chicago), and moderate in how most in the midwest are generally conservative, but still open to other opinions. I don't think that is out of the ordinary in the region.
I think you have a largely unrealistic view of the Midwest (most of us aren't conservative, in fact). Can you elaborate a bit more on how that would have anything to do with the pace of a city? I personally don't see any major difference in the "pace" of major Midwestern metros in comparison to other similarly-sized cities around the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 08:10 AM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,071,101 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Moderate in the way they interact with others, moderate in their political leanings, (perhaps not in Minneapolis or downtown Chicago), and moderate in how most in the midwest are generally conservative, but still open to other opinions. I don't think that is out of the ordinary in the region.
You stereotype, a lot. Milwaukee is the only large city in the country, to have had 3 socialist mayors. I think you think you're spot on with your opinions of the Midwest, but, clearly, you're not. Sure, there are moderate cities, here and in each region. They don't exist, solely, in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Center City
6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Reputation: 9469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The topic is which Large cities are slower paced. Jacksonville shouldn't be considered a large city. Technically yes is is the 12th largest city in the country by population, but it is almost double in land area or more than almost every city in the top 100
You probably didn't mean to condescend to me by telling me something most geography buffs already know, so I'll choose not to be offended. I'm pretty sure the Mayor Curry governs every corner of Duval County and not just the urbanized bits. I get that JAX is both the 12th most populated US city and yet ranked 40th in urban area. In the eyes of some posters (unlike you), one fact does not trump the other. JAX is therefore not excluded from consideration to in this tread just because you say so. Sometimes two seemingly opposed ideas can both be true: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yin_and_yang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The city of Phoenix can annex the entire state of Arizona cover 114,000 sq mi, and have over 6 million people in it.
I thought they had already done this.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 03-30-2016 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 08:53 AM
 
29,916 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Reputation: 18453
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Your work situation is almost certainly just an artifact of a high-stress office environment. I'm not sure it would be any better anywhere else, at least within the field you are part of. Maybe you should look for a lower-paying job with less responsibility where you have a lot of down time during the day?
Was that really necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 08:59 AM
 
29,916 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Reputation: 18453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You probably didn't mean to condescend to me by telling me something most geography buffs already know, so I'll choose not to be offended. I'm pretty sure the Mayor Curry governs every corner of Duval County and not just the urbanized bits. I get that JAX is both the 12th most populated US city and yet ranked 40th in urban area. In the eyes of some posters (unlike you), one fact does not trump the other. JAX is therefore not excluded from consideration to in this tread just because you say so. Sometimes two seemingly opposed ideas can both be true: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yin_and_yang.
Jax is only a big city (municipality) on paper; in reality, it shouldn't even be under consideration given the title of the thread, unless the qualifications for "big city" are REALLY generous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 09:22 AM
 
5,551 posts, read 6,979,053 times
Reputation: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You stereotype, a lot. Milwaukee is the only large city in the country, to have had 3 socialist mayors. I think you think you're spot on with your opinions of the Midwest, but, clearly, you're not. Sure, there are moderate cities, here and in each region. They don't exist, solely, in the Midwest.


Detroit has had continuous Democratic mayors since 1962. Does that make Detroit the San Francisco of the Midwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top