Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:29 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Detroit has had continuous Democratic mayors since 1962. Does that make Detroit the San Francisco of the Midwest?
True, they have had all democratic mayors due to the racial makeup of the city, not because it is a liberal city. Detroit is a democratic city, SF is liberal very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 09:31 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I'm pretty sure the Mayor Curry governs every corner of Duval County and not just the urbanized bits. I get that JAX is both the 12th most populated US city and yet ranked 40th in urban area. In the eyes of some posters (unlike you), one fact does not trump the other. JAX is therefore not excluded from consideration to in this tread just because you say so. Sometimes two seemingly opposed ideas can both be true: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yin_and_yang.

I thought they had already done this.
Actually, Mayor Curry kinda ignores the urbanized bits.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
True, they have had all democratic mayors due to the racial makeup of the city, not because it is a liberal city. Detroit is a democratic city, SF is liberal very different.
Ah, the old "blacks aren't real liberals" bit. Gotcha.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:03 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Detroit has had continuous Democratic mayors since 1962. Does that make Detroit the San Francisco of the Midwest?

Your analogy makes no sense, in relation to my post. AND, to answer your post, why would anyone think that? You're trying too hard, here.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:48 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I find most of the major cities in the Midwest to be fast paced, though I'm from a small town in Tennessee.

My current employer is a local company that operates at a much slower pace than my former employer here, which was a satellite office of a Boston area company. The former employer was all about rushing things through, shoving things in to meet a deliverable for a client even if the solution clearly was not ready, taking any action to say something was done, even if it wasn't correct, immensely concerned about the "prestige" of a client or where someone went to college, etc. To some extent, rushing happens everywhere, but the people here are generally a lot easier going than "up nawth."

Still, just in day to day life, I feel herded like cattle around here. When I go to Walmart or Meijer and put my bags in the buggy, people look at me like I'm slow and holding them up. Customer service is rushed and unfriendly compared to the South. Little courtesies that I was accustomed to back home (I went to the same sandwich shop a few times a week and they would grill a cold sandwich for me - here, the same chain steadfastly refuses to do that for a frequent customer) often don't happen here. If you try to make small talk with people around here, they look at you like you have a hole in your head.

Midwestern drivers (here in particular) are much more aggressive than down South and are willing to cut you off, drive faster, and especially lay on their horns. I've found the drivers here in the Midwest to be far, far more aggressive than in Florida even.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:48 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Ah, the old "blacks aren't real liberals" bit. Gotcha.
It's (generally speaking) true.

Detroit is a culturally conservative town. Blacks tend to be culturally conservative. In no way would it be described as liberal.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:33 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Detroit is a culturally conservative town. Blacks tend to be culturally conservative. In no way would it be described as liberal.
Black people might be "culturally conservative" but they really aren't socially conservative. I've posted links about this before, and I'm too lazy at the moment to find them again, but black people are:

1. Somewhat more likely to be pro-choice
2. More concerned about global warming
3. In favor of gun control
4. Opposed to the death penalty
5. Generally opposed to "tough on crime" measures
6. Supportive of affirmative action
7. Less approving of an interventionist U.S. foreign policy

The only social issue that black Americans tend to be right of center on is same sex marriage. On absolutely every other social issue I have seen polling on, they fall to the center-left or the far left. They are of course leftists on economic issues broadly, and vote for the more liberal party in overwhelming numbers. I really find the claim that black people are not, on the whole, more liberal than whites pretty baseless. I wonder if people tend to associate "liberal" with things which don't really have much to do with politics at all, like listening to NPR, going to Starbucks, or driving a Subaru. As if it's some lifestyle brand rather than a political outlook.

Last edited by eschaton; 03-30-2016 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-30-2016, 12:44 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Black people might be "culturally conservative" but they really aren't socially conservative. I've posted links about this before, and I'm too lazy at the moment to find them again, but black people are:

1. Somewhat more likely to be pro-choice
2. More concerned about global warming
3. In favor of gun control
4. Opposed to the death penalty
5. Generally opposed to "tough on crime measures
6. Supportive of affirmative action
7. Less approving of an interventionist U.S. foreign policy

The only social issue that black Americans tend to be right of center on is same sex marriage. On absolutely every other social issue I have seen polling on, they fall to the center-left or the far left. They are of course leftists on economic issues broadly, and vote for the more liberal party in overwhelming numbers. I really find the claim that black people are not, on the whole, more liberal than whites pretty baseless. I wonder if people tend to associate "liberal" with things which don't really have much to do with politics at all, like listening to NPR, going to Starbucks, or driving a Subaru. As if it's some lifestyle brand rather than a political outlook.
I think the basis of this thought really goes down to high rates of black church attendance in the South.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:55 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Of the metro areas in the U.S. with 4+ million people: Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Detroit (not too sure about this one?) are all slower paced compared to other metros with 4+ million people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Would Denver be considered slow pace, or not? From my observation, people here are always in a hurry for no apparent reason.
LOL...yes. Between the legal weed, the altitude, and the general attitude it's as slow as molasses.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:59 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think the basis of this thought really goes down to high rates of black church attendance in the South.
I think in that case people don't really know what's being preached during the sermon at many black churches. The few times I've attended I've been shocked at how muscularly political it was - how much social justice is woven into the religious message. Obviously there are exceptions, but this seems to have developed into the core of the black church. It's anything but conservative, because the goal is to move forward towards the promised land, rather than conserve what you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.