U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 07:49 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,831,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I live in Shadyside, and its an absolute steal. Bluecarebear lives in a dull Pittsburgh exurb and thinks the city is a cesspool. Don't mind him.
The census figures of the last two years contradict your statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 PM

5,555 posts, read 6,990,054 times
Quote:
Chicago is the best bargain in the country. It's roughly 80% of the city that New York is, with the median home price of 200K.
What are the property taxes on those Chicago homes?

Old 03-28-2016, 08:28 PM

4,947 posts, read 7,606,905 times
Quote:
I live in Shadyside, and its an absolute steal. Bluecarebear lives in a dull Pittsburgh exurb and thinks the city is a cesspool. Don't mind him.
You live in one of my favorite urban neighborhoods in the country- most all cities of consequence, Pittsburgh included, have what I term the 20/80 rule. That within the greater metro area of nearly all there are only about 20% of the area and neighborhoods that I would deem the best parts (and yes, like you, that would most certainly not include the suburbs or exurbs of any). Great, core neighborhoods (historic) that have their own defined vibe and village area but are also very much a part of the greater downtown area.

Unfortunately, or expectedly these areas are typically in great demand and their price of admission is typically high, or at least comparatively to the outlying boring areas that all cities possess.

I think I'm even luckier, I can walk the downtown and the bay, and yet still have a sweet SFH and garden. Granted it's no NYC or Philly but it's a big and vibrant enough city most of the time for us. When we want more we just travel up the road or fly East.

Last edited by T. Damon; 03-28-2016 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 09:27 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,235,627 times
Overpriced:
- Almost any city in California (perhaps not counting Chico, Redding, and El Centro)
- Austin
- Seattle/Tacoma
- Portland, OR
- Greater New York City (except for select, far-flung exurbs)
- Boston
- Miami Beach

Just my $.02...

Last edited by EclecticEars; 03-28-2016 at 09:36 PM..

Old 03-29-2016, 09:45 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,405,651 times
I don't know if I would describe Daytona as a vibrant city, I think it's generally viewed by a lot of people as the Atlantic Coast's version of Panama City Beach.

Overpriced: Much of New Jersey. The state has a lot to offer but even older houses in generic, suburban sprawl towns will cost you and arm and a leg. That's the price you pay for having relatively easy access to Manhattan.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:47 AM

7,735 posts, read 4,581,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I don't know if I would describe Daytona as a vibrant city, I think it's generally viewed by a lot of people as the Atlantic Coast's version of Panama City Beach.

Overpriced: Much of New Jersey. The state has a lot to offer but even older houses in generic, suburban sprawl towns will cost you and arm and a leg. That's the price you pay for having relatively easy access to Manhattan.
New Jersey also has some of the better public school districts in the country. That, plus proximity to NYC is a recipe for high cost-of-living. See Fairfax County Virginia and Montgomery County Maryland.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:24 AM

12,851 posts, read 4,655,018 times
Quote:
New Jersey also has some of the better public school districts in the country. That, plus proximity to NYC is a recipe for high cost-of-living. See Fairfax County Virginia and Montgomery County Maryland.
high wages = high cost of living.

Mexico has a low cost of living.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:31 AM

330 posts, read 164,504 times
New York is overpriced.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:39 AM

2,959 posts, read 3,824,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Overpriced:
- Almost any city in California (perhaps not counting Chico, Redding, and El Centro)
- Austin
- Seattle/Tacoma
- Portland, OR
- Greater New York City (except for select, far-flung exurbs)
- Boston
- Miami Beach

Just my $.02...
In other words:

Overpriced: (nearly) all coastal cities. Done.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:50 AM

7,735 posts, read 4,581,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
high wages = high cost of living.

Mexico has a low cost of living.
The median household income in New York City is in the neighborhood of $52,000. New York has a high cost-of-living because it is desirable, and has a high percentage of people who either aren't dependent on their wages or are willing to live with roommates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or