U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 11:01 PM

3,063 posts, read 1,806,637 times

Advertisements

Overpriced city: San Jose Under priced city:Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 05:14 AM

7,706 posts, read 4,569,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Or, you could live in quite below average (trying to be nice here) neighborhoods on the south and west sides of Chicago, the far north Lake County cities (Waukegan, North Chicago, Zion), or the other Lake County (Indiana), for $50K or less. Parts of Will and Kane counties would fit this as well, I'm sure (I don't ever look in those areas).

High taxes though, with the exception of IN.
Well yes, there are less nice areas. My point was to demonstrate the low barrier of entry into the nice areas. You don't find that in other world class cities.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:24 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Underpriced:

I agree with Tampa being underpriced. It's a great city, good universities, and close to the beach.

Overpriced:

Boston, Austin, Denver, Reno, Seattle.
People crap on FL all the time but I don't understand the hate.

I have a thread going on the work and employment forum about low wages in the South. FL gets this low wage albatross hung around its neck, but is it really any worse than the rest of the South? Not really, and in my opinion, FL's economy is far better than TN's, where I'm from.

To me, weather and scenery are huge determinants in where to live.. To a point, you can always keep looking for better work, or take a second job, or lower your spending to live, but you can never change the weather.

Yesterday was great weather here in IN, but Saturday sucked, and it's unlikely we'll see 60 again until the weekend, with some days topping out in the 40s. That just sucks to me going into April.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:35 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,319,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
How and anyone talk about overvalued markets and leave out Cali?

San Francisco, San Jose, and San Diego I'd think would be prime suspects in being overvalued.

But nothing is overvalued if people will keep shelling out the big bucks to live there. Twenty years ago I thought the prices in Manhattan were ridiculous, but look at them now. People just want to live here and they'll pay a lot for the privilege. So is that really "overvalued" or "overpriced"? You tell me.

I suspect the same dynamic may be working in the Cal cities. they're attractive enough to people that it will take something truly drastic to make prices fall hard, and until that time comes, these places are "fairly valued" -- even at the sky high housing prices they generally command.
Maybe SF is overpriced but the simple reason why most people don't think so? Weather.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:32 PM

612 posts, read 745,847 times
Coastal metro cities in California are WAY OVERPRICED for buying real estate and rents sky high too.

Inland California cities and towns except for Sacramento are dirt cheap. Redding, Oroville and Modoc are 1/5 cost of large coastal cities like San Diego and San Francisco. Of course the jobs there are super low paying or non existent for the inland cities. Still if you travel or work from home, these can be a better value if you don't mind hotter weather inland than paying a million bucks for a crapshack in San Diego, SF, San Jose or LA.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:23 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'll bet you anything Shadyside's population has grown substantially by 2020, considering Bakery Square and the "Eastside Bond" apartments are within the neighborhood.
That is one neighborhood. There are only a couple neighborhoods that are popular in Pittsburgh. The rest are in steep decline. In the short time that has passed since I last posted on this thread, rent and crime has increased. It's insane to have $1500+ rents for this city. We are living in a mid-level city and paying big city east coast rents. That is one of the major reasons why most people are leaving Pittsburgh. We have poor public transit, an average economy, cloudy weather, incredibly high COL, old housing stock, poor city schools, dying neighborhoods, east coast attitude in residents, and crime is up. Pittsburgh is not worth $1500+ a month.

I would be careful about purchasing property in Pittsburgh. This isn't San Fran where everyone wants to live in the city. The prices are being driven up in Pittsburgh because of the lack of good neighborhoods.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
That is one neighborhood. There are only a couple neighborhoods that are popular in Pittsburgh. The rest are in steep decline. In the short time that has passed since I last posted on this thread, rent and crime has increased. It's insane to have $1500+ rents for this city. We are living in a mid-level city and paying big city east coast rents. That is one of the major reasons why most people are leaving Pittsburgh. We have poor public transit, an average economy, cloudy weather, incredibly high COL, old housing stock, poor city schools, dying neighborhoods, east coast attitude in residents, and crime is up. Pittsburgh is not worth $1500+ a month.

I would be careful about purchasing property in Pittsburgh. This isn't San Fran where everyone wants to live in the city. The prices are being driven up in Pittsburgh because of the lack of good neighborhoods.
Ah, the old "only the East End is desirable/improving" even though similar things are happening in the Strip District, lower North Side and Southside Flats... Not to mention the fact that more than half of the city's population lives in the East End. It's not some tiny corner of the city.

Pittsburgh isn't like other cities. We may have 20 neighborhoods that aren't nestled in the hills. People with the means are going to choose neighborhoods in the urban core that don't require them to navigate insane hills in the snow. We would have to hit historically high population numbers before we see any real redevelopment in those other neighborhoods. As it stands, you can live in them very cheaply.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Ah, the old "only the East End is desirable/improving" even though similar things are happening in the Strip District, lower North Side and Southside Flats... Not to mention the fact that more than half of the city's population lives in the East End. It's not some tiny corner of the city.

Pittsburgh isn't like other cities. We may have 20 neighborhoods that aren't nestled in the hills. People with the means are going to choose neighborhoods in the urban core that don't require them to navigate insane hills in the snow. We would have to hit historically high population numbers before we see any real redevelopment in those other neighborhoods. As it stands, you can live in them very cheaply.
That is the problem. There are only a couple good neighborhoods. The rest aren't safe and on a fast decline. Yes, you can find plenty of cheap housing in crime filled neighborhoods.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
That is the problem. There are only a couple good neighborhoods. The rest aren't safe and on a fast decline. Yes, you can find plenty of cheap housing in crime filled neighborhoods.
They are the biggest neighborhoods in the city, by far. Pittsburgh officially has 90 neighborhoods, but some, like Esplin have populations of a couple hundred, whereas Shadyside and Squirrel Hill and Oakland are over 10k. Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, East Liberty, Highland Park, and Point Breeze all have a neighborhood populations in the thousands.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:14 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,702,080 times
Overpriced: San. Di. Ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or