U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:20 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,493,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
That is one neighborhood. There are only a couple neighborhoods that are popular in Pittsburgh. The rest are in steep decline. In the short time that has passed since I last posted on this thread, rent and crime has increased. It's insane to have $1500+ rents for this city. We are living in a mid-level city and paying big city east coast rents. That is one of the major reasons why most people are leaving Pittsburgh. We have poor public transit, an average economy, cloudy weather, incredibly high COL, old housing stock, poor city schools, dying neighborhoods, east coast attitude in residents, and crime is up. Pittsburgh is not worth $1500+ a month.

I would be careful about purchasing property in Pittsburgh. This isn't San Fran where everyone wants to live in the city. The prices are being driven up in Pittsburgh because of the lack of good neighborhoods.
I don't think what's happening in Pittsburgh is as unique as you guys think it is. I think this urban housing boom has affected the vast many up and coming urban cores in the country. In Grand Rapids 2 bedrooms are starting at $1900 for a basic unit, and 1 bedrooms are starting at around $1400 in the neighborhoods around the core. The suburbs 2 bedroom units are starting around $1100 right now if you don't want to live in a crappy area.

Grand Rapids is by no means a Pittsburgh and rents are a little lower I'm sure. The point is I think the rental market is in a bubble and we could be seeing an over glut of inventory in a few years. If it's happening in Grand Rapids, it's happening pretty much everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 07:36 PM

12,419 posts, read 11,926,143 times
Quote:
That is the problem. There are only a couple good neighborhoods. The rest aren't safe and on a fast decline. Yes, you can find plenty of cheap housing in crime filled neighborhoods.
This is an outright lie:

Off the top of my head:

Gentrified: Squirrel Hill North, Squirrel Hill South, Point Breeze, Regent Square, Shadyside, Allegheny West

Inarguably Gentrifying: Central North Side, East Allegheny, Strip District, Polish Hill, Bloomfield, Lower Lawrenceville, Central Lawrenceville, Upper Lawrenceville, Highland Park, East Liberty, South Side Flats.

Arguably Gentrifying, Currently Middle Class: Stanton Heights, Morningside, Greenfield, South Side Slopes.

Arguably Gentrifiying, Currently Lower Income: Garfield, Uptown, Allentown, Troy Hill, Manchester

Stable/Middle Class: Mount Washington, Duquense Heights, Brookline, Swisshelm Park, Banksville, New Homestead, etc.

This is discounting all the four sub-neighborhoods of Oakland, which are student slummy, thus hard to rank under this measure. Regardless, even using the most broad measure of "decline" far less than half of the city, by both population and land area, is dangerous or in decline.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:05 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,960,186 times
Exhibit A:

Quote:
Pittsburgh - Overpriced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Haha.

You can get a pretty glorious substantial historic house in/near Shadyside (a neighborhood very similar to mine) for what gets you a shack in coastal/downtown core San Diego.

Exhibit B:

Quote:
I could also make 2x more in San Diego that I make here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Would it get you the same place there?

Exhibit C:

Quote:
That is one neighborhood. There are only a couple neighborhoods that are popular in Pittsburgh. The rest are in steep decline. In the short time that has passed since I last posted on this thread, rent and crime has increased. It's insane to have $1500+ rents for this city. We are living in a mid-level city and paying big city east coast rents. That is one of the major reasons why most people are leaving Pittsburgh. We have poor public transit, an average economy, cloudy weather, incredibly high COL, old housing stock, poor city schools, dying neighborhoods, east coast attitude in residents, and crime is up. Pittsburgh is not worth $1500+ a month.

I would be careful about purchasing property in Pittsburgh. This isn't San Fran where everyone wants to live in the city. The prices are being driven up in Pittsburgh because of the lack of good neighborhoods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I don't think what's happening in Pittsburgh is as unique as you guys think it is. I think this urban housing boom has affected the vast many up and coming urban cores in the country. In Grand Rapids 2 bedrooms are starting at $1900 for a basic unit, and 1 bedrooms are starting at around $1400 in the neighborhoods around the core. The suburbs 2 bedroom units are starting around $1100 right now if you don't want to live in a crappy area.
Even non-Pittsburghers are pointing out the absurdity of bluecarebear's comments now. I'm embarrassed for her

Old 05-17-2016, 10:18 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,129 times
Keep bullying me, Craz. I reported you before. I will do it again. Yes, I am the reason your offensive posts were deleted.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:43 AM

3,597 posts, read 1,527,009 times
Quote:
I could also make 2x more in San Diego that I make here.
But you'll pay well over 2x for a home in SD than in PIT, plus the higher taxes to boot. So many people seem to ignore that important fact. Buying power (wages vs. COL) has to be factored in.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:51 AM

67 posts, read 65,913 times
Overpriced; NYC my hometown.

I'm planning to move to less overpriced city. Denver.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:38 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,527,009 times
I'm speaking strictly in terms of cost of living. Overpriced meaning pushing many (if not most) families out of home ownership and poor buying power (wages vs. COL).
Underpriced meaning home ownership is within reach of most families and you get a lot of bang for your buck/good buying power.

Overpriced: Pacific Coast Metros + Denver and Boston/NYC/DC.

Underpriced: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Chicago, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Salt Lake City, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa/St. Petersburg.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:47 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,682,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post

Underpriced: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Chicago, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Salt Lake City, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa/St. Petersburg.
Appropriately priced.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:23 AM

5,069 posts, read 4,101,525 times
Overpriced: Boston, Austin, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati

Underpriced: Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, Chattanooga, Milwaukee,

Old 05-23-2016, 02:28 PM

285 posts, read 192,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Not unless you are one of the many Californians moving to Dallas with $600,000+ in CASH to spend after selling your ridiculously overpriced California house. Those of us who are middle class and who are FROM Texas and the South can barely keep up with the skyrocketing rent prices in Dallas now, let alone afford to buy a home in the Dallas srea that isn't 40 years old or in a less than desireable neighborhood. Thanks a lot to the California expats who keep moving to Dallas in droves, all while being rude, driving like bats out of hell, and complaining about how Dallas and Texas are so different and subpar compared to where they come from in California.
California was flooded with Texans in the 1980's as they were fleeing their boom bust business cycle and looking to secure their money over here. And they were dumping money on everything. Driving up prices.

Sorry to say, but comes around, goes around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or