U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:14 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,682,158 times

Advertisements

A 5x mortgage ratio might be unaffordable with car, kids, and/or debt, but with none of those things it's easy.

Interest rates are incredibly low. That adds significant buying power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 PM

158 posts, read 112,673 times
Its shocking what people pay. Currently in the extended burbs of Seattle, over an hour out, in a so-so area cookie cutter postage stamp for 250k and that good for this area. Looking for a way out. Too crowded, traffic sucks, everyone is working or commuting so you hardly meet anyone. I would love Seattle if I was rich.

I'm looking over this list because hubby and I are ready to jump ship for a walkable smaller city or town where you can....gasp....Save money, and still have amenities. Looking into Minneapolis, Des Moines, Madison, and will be adding others.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:21 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,939,697 times
4 pages and a few motnhs in, haven't seen one mention of Washington DC + its metro mentioned. DC - capital of the country and plenty of tourist opportunities, but to live in a decently safe area it seem the cheapest rents for a ONE bedroom are in the $1600+ range. Poor schools, high crime, horrible traffic and sprawl, lots of homeless folks and run down/tagged up buildings, I consider this overpriced. Arlington VA cheapest rent I saw was 1550 a month. It's massively overpriced IMO

I saw someone mention Raleigh-Durham as underpriced. Idk about that, I'd say fairly priced. You can find a safe 1 bedroom apartment around 800 a month, which is pretty decent IMO. Gas prices in NC are stupid high though.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:39 AM

568 posts, read 331,077 times
Overpriced: DC and Boston

Underpriced: Miami (with the exception of a few areas)

Old 06-03-2016, 07:42 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What are the property taxes on those Chicago homes?
Between the three houses myself and my husband have owned they're about 1.2% to 1.4% of value. City property taxes are the lowest in the metro area.

Housing prices are fairly affordable. I just sold my north side one-bedroom nice condo with upgrades, washer dryer, granite, etc that's a 10 minute walk from the lake for $190,000.

We live just steps from Wrigley Field is a very desirable area, near the lake, train, dozens of bars and restaurants between Boystown and Wrigleyville and got a 2,600sf two level condo on the top floors of a building, we have three bedrooms and three bathrooms, three outdoor spaces including a 400sf private rooftop and we got it for $580,000 in 2015. I'm sure that would be far more money for the amenities if you looked in one of the most desirable areas of SF or NYC.

If you move out a bit from THE most desirable areas and go into a more middle class neighborhood you can find very affordable deals.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:36 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,873,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Overpriced: DC
Expensive, yes. Overpriced, no. I don't want to live there, but I can see why its so expensive. The cost of living is worth it. It's conveniently located on the East Coast and has plenty of transit options to get to other East Coast cities. Plenty of social networking opportunities. Highly educated people. Same fast paced energetic vibe as NYC but slightly friendlier and tempered by the nearby southern culture. Very cosmopolitan influence. High paying jobs in the government sector as well as plenty of nongov jobs thay pay enough and are attainable by people with liberal arts degrees/people who don't specialize in a particular field. Atop all that is the beauty and history of the city. DC is IMO an expensive city that earned the right to be expensive.

I still don't like DC because of the type A alpha personalities that tend to move there, the rat race mentality, and the humid summers, but that doesn't make it overpriced. Some people DO like that competitive rat race scene, and DC/NoVa is great for that.

San Francisco is example of a dumpy city that should NOT be that expensive. Too hard to meet new people and network. Seems more like a "you gotta know somebody" type of city which makes it pointless for the average joe who is new and trying to build rapport. Only worth it if youre in IT and have your own startup or something. Overpriced indeed.

Last edited by skidamarink; 06-03-2016 at 12:47 PM..

Old 06-03-2016, 01:06 PM

7,744 posts, read 4,584,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Expensive, yes. Overpriced, no. I don't want to live there, but I can see why its so expensive. The cost of living is worth it. It's conveniently located on the East Coast and has plenty of transit options to get to other East Coast cities. Plenty of social networking opportunities. Highly educated people. Same fast paced energetic vibe as NYC but slightly friendlier and tempered by the nearby southern culture. Very cosmopolitan influence. High paying jobs in the government sector as well as plenty of nongov jobs thay pay enough and are attainable by people with liberal arts degrees/people who don't specialize in a particular field. Atop all that is the beauty and history of the city. DC is IMO an expensive city that earned the right to be expensive.

I still don't like DC because of the type A alpha personalities that tend to move there, the rat race mentality, and the humid summers, but that doesn't make it overpriced. Some people DO like that competitive rat race scene, and DC/NoVa is great for that.

San Francisco is example of a dumpy city that should NOT be that expensive. Too hard to meet new people and network. Seems more like a "you gotta know somebody" type of city which makes it pointless for the average joe who is new and trying to build rapport. Only worth it if youre in IT and have your own startup or something. Overpriced indeed.
Neither of these things are true. DC is what New York would be like if it only had the finance guys, and none of the people who make the city interesting. It's one of the coldest, most unfriendly, status-obsessed cities in the world. True world class cities have a large and vibrant creative class.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:26 PM

568 posts, read 331,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post

And IMO, which is 99.9% of the what the innanet is, opinions, it is not. So you wasted valuable time typing that (much of which is highly dubious) for nothing.

btw did you happen to notice my location? I have a pretty good idea what this place is about without you "educating" me, foh.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:19 AM

721 posts, read 301,408 times
San Francisco is by far the most overpriced city in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or