Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 04:40 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Uhhh Orlando? You need a geography lesson, Everywhere in FL is loaded with lakes/rivers/springs. The whole state sits on an aquifer.
Las Vegas is in a desert...Orlando is in the lushest part of the continental U.S. and a major agricultural area.
I think I see some water in this pic...just maybe ya know...

worldproperty

wikipedia
i was talking about major waterways that brought trade and commerce in the pass. I do not think Orlando was settled as it is or has become because of its waterways.... Its not a Geo lesson ether, try history. Florida was once not considered as a habitat place for man or beast.Yes there is water under ground, but as a whole, Florida was considered only good for its coastline. Jacksonville was about all there was once , when it came to cities. Miami is much more recent, as is Orlando. The inter state waterway system, with locks and dams, all came later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 04:44 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
Phoenix has the Salt River which joins the Gila just west of Phoenix. Both are dammed now, though they did flow all year prior to the dams. There are many old black and white photos of phoenicians swimming in the river or the canals that branched off of it. Early settlers saw beavers, fish, cottonwoods,and such where downtown PHX lies today.

No, it doesn't have a river today but it was founded on a river, that's why it became the largest city in AZ. PHX was founded on farming, which even forested Northern AZ doesn't have enough water for.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM

159 posts, read 511,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Or Albuquerque.
Albuquerque is on the Rio Grande.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:35 PM

19 posts, read 35,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggabq View Post
Albuquerque is on the Rio Grande.
The city is where it is because of the Rio Grande, but the river is barely five feet deep anymore, and our water now comes from an aquifer.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:49 PM

159 posts, read 511,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Save_Ferris View Post
The city is where it is because of the Rio Grande, but the river is barely five feet deep anymore, and our water now comes from an aquifer.
It's still a major river which flows year round. The original question was about the largest city not on a river or body of water, and even though the Rio Grande isn't as grande as it once was, it still is more than what other larger cities in the US have.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Cities without major waterways, are places that man has built for his entertainment, not his subsistence. Think about it, Las Vegas, Orlando,there are others.......
I agree with you 100%
Las Vegas was just a stopover for pioneer trails heading west than grew to a railroad town, nothing to do with water. everything is brought in by train or truck.

Orlando i have no clue how it was found i just know it was just a swampy buggy area with no access to either ocean or gulf, there are many small lakes but we dont ship supplies across small lakes. Oceans and Rivers are what important, not swamps or lakes

Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Save_Ferris View Post
Actually, for most of the 20th century and the first decade of the 21st, Albuquerque got its water exclusively from the aquifer. It is only the last few years that they have been mixing in that murky ditch water from the Rio Grande.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:26 PM

51 posts, read 61,039 times
Salt Lake City.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:46 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Dallas and Fort Worth. Trinty River is just a little trickle creek.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:53 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,782,509 times
Harrisburg PA is on a mile wide but for most purposes non-navigable river, it is where it is because it was about the best place to cross it. There used to be log rafts from northern PA and even NY but if they made it that far they could keep going to Marietta where the river became really gnarly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.