Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:22 AM

372 posts, read 804,789 times

Advertisements

My wife, who is Asian, is looking for a new place to call home within the next 2-3 years. Here's the challenge, We are looking for 4 seasons, mountains, good hunting,(reasonable gun laws, I carry), fishing, places to play off road, mild winters, (not a lot of snow) and nothing extremely hot and places to shop for her Asian culture. Calif is totally out of the question. She has lived there before and won't go back. Also not a big fan of the big cities of the east cost, eg. NY, DC, NJ. So my friends of CD, Can you help me out?!? Look forward to seeing what you come up with for suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 01:27 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,951,941 times
Boise fits the bill, but don't about Asian stores.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:11 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,276,215 times
I can't think of alot of places that has mountains and not a lot of snow that isn't too hot or too cold. I'd look into Colorado. If you're leaning towards the east coast id look into Asheville, NC. It's a great small city located in Western North Carolina.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:12 PM

372 posts, read 804,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I can't think of alot of places that has mountains and not a lot of snow that isn't too hot or too cold. I'd look into Colorado. If you're leaning towards the east coast id look into Asheville, NC. It's a great small city located in Western North Carolina.
What did you have in mind in Colorado? my wife is curious.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:21 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,262,905 times
Maybe the Portland, OR area.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:33 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,235,990 times
Four seasons typically include winter snow no matter where. Boise was suggested, and it IS a beautiful place, but it does snow there in winter and gets very hot in the summer. I was at an outdoor festival there last August and it was 109.

I suggest the Portland-metro area if she wouldn't mind a lot of rain (but most summers are very nice). We do get spurts of snow-ice storms here but they're short-lived.

There are Asian stores (well, grocery mostly) scattered here and there - in fact, Beaverton has a humongous one. East 82nd in Portland (known now as the Jade District) is the real Chinatown of Portland. It's not the historical roots of Portland's Chinese district but it's become at least a mile of various Asian cuisines (increasing amount of Mexican restaurants, too, I've noticed). I would expect other types of stores here 'n' there.

Off-road interests are plentiful throughout the state. Not a fishing aficionado, so I don't know the hot spots for those who are, but I know that many people do it. So far gun laws and rights are not threatened here.

The only issue is here, is spiraling costs of housing. Rent has spiked out of control and dense housing is being thrown up without thought put into traffic containment. If you want to consider Portland-metro area, please do your homework with housing and see if it's affordable.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:40 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,058,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Maybe the Portland, OR area.
This...

Old 03-13-2016, 03:07 PM

92,022 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Perhaps Roanoke and nearby Blacksburg VA could work. Morgantown WV may be another place to look into: Morgantown's Ethnic Grocery Stores

Old 03-13-2016, 04:45 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,723,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydude View Post
My wife, who is Asian, is looking for a new place to call home within the next 2-3 years. Here's the challenge, We are looking for 4 seasons, mountains, good hunting,(reasonable gun laws, I carry), fishing, places to play off road, mild winters, (not a lot of snow) and nothing extremely hot and places to shop for her Asian culture. Calif is totally out of the question. She has lived there before and won't go back. Also not a big fan of the big cities of the east cost, eg. NY, DC, NJ. So my friends of CD, Can you help me out?!? Look forward to seeing what you come up with for suggestions.
Define "extremely hot".

Old 03-14-2016, 08:47 PM

32,760 posts, read 35,972,154 times
philadelphia suburbs. it's hilly--low mountains just north--, 4 seasons, not usually a lot of snow, not nearly as hot as the south, reasonable gun laws, hunting and fishing all over the area, but probably north. i'm not sure about the shopping. i mean, there are asians and asian food markets if that's what you're talking about. i've never been off road in that area, but have been further north and in southern nj. it's worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.