U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:05 PM

64 posts, read 55,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Northern Arizona has a high COL?
Definitely. Flagstaff is about $1600 for a 2 bedroom 7 miles outside of the city. Having lived in many places it's the worst value based on what you get for your money that I have ever seen in my life.

I paid $600 for a nice 2 bedroom 40 minutes outside of Boston and $1000 for a nice 2 bedroom in Tampa. Both of these areas had convenient access to an airports, a short drive to the waterfront and numerous trails, lots of amenities and cultural attractions, less traffic, and MUCH friendlier people.

Let's say I will never move again without checking the area out first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 12:17 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,953,159 times
Portland, but it might be too expensive.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:31 PM

64 posts, read 55,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Portland, but it might be too expensive.
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll add it to my search. I'll try looking an hour outside of the city for cheaper rent. I would prefer to live in a more country setting with access to the city anyways.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:20 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 28 days ago)

9,842 posts, read 21,147,636 times
Chattanooga has all of what you listed

Old 03-31-2016, 04:12 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,974,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon81 View Post
My husband and I are moving out of Northern Arizona due to the high cost of living, rude people, and limited recreation and entertainment. We are open to pretty much every area except for the Midwest. We work from home so employment is not an issue. We are willing to live in either a rural or urban area, although prefer not to live in the suburbs near a bunch of big box chains. Access to a city (even if an hour or 2 away) is fine.

Some of the things we are looking for in our new location

A decent rental for up to $1500-1600. Prefer a 2-3 bedroom. Not ready to buy a house, just renting right now
Lots of fitness and hiking opportunities within an hour's drive
Great weekend road trips nearby
Pretty natural scenery
Would prefer a change in weather (much too sunny day in, day out where we live now) Rain, snow, thunderstorms, etc would be nice for a change of pace, although not necessary.
Lots of local businesses
Lots of seasonal events and holiday celebrations
Paved biked paths
Good coffee shop and libraries - we often work from our laptops outside the home
Nice, friendly people (everyone where we live now is always in a bad mood with a scowl on their face)
A walkable friendly downtown area
Water access whether it be a lake, ocean, river, etc. We miss the water!
Nice town parks for running, tennis, picnics, etc.
Airport access. Right now we are 3hrs away from the closest airport.
Museums, art galleries, historic theaters, zoos, aquariums, any type of cultural attractions would be a benefit over where we are living now.

Any suggestions on an area that would fit a number of these would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.
Large Metro: Minneapolis-St. Paul
Medium Metro: Madison
Small Metro: Dubuque

Old 03-31-2016, 06:15 PM

259 posts, read 769,010 times
Northampton, Mass. fits your criteria.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:26 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,140,002 times
I think she said that they weren't in a place where moving back to the north-east is possible at this time.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:09 PM

23 posts, read 56,864 times
Prescott, AZ - so near yet so far!

Apologies for the abundant sunshine -- that's the only thing on your list that may not suit.

Google "Prescott Trails".

Prescott lives up to reputation as 'Arizona's Christmas City' | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 04-19-2016, 05:04 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,533,669 times
Charleston, SC would be a good place to check out.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:46 AM

33 posts, read 25,371 times
Portland, Maine. I'm not sure of rental prices at this point, but it checks every other box in a big way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or