U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:53 AM

64 posts, read 56,295 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving out of Northern Arizona due to the high cost of living, rude people, and limited recreation and entertainment. We are open to pretty much every area except for the Midwest. We work from home so employment is not an issue. We are willing to live in either a rural or urban area, although prefer not to live in the suburbs near a bunch of big box chains. Access to a city (even if an hour or 2 away) is fine.

Some of the things we are looking for in our new location

A decent rental for up to $1500-1600. Prefer a 2-3 bedroom. Not ready to buy a house, just renting right now
Lots of fitness and hiking opportunities within an hour's drive
Great weekend road trips nearby
Pretty natural scenery
Would prefer a change in weather (much too sunny day in, day out where we live now) Rain, snow, thunderstorms, etc would be nice for a change of pace, although not necessary.
Lots of local businesses
Lots of seasonal events and holiday celebrations
Paved biked paths
Good coffee shop and libraries - we often work from our laptops outside the home
Nice, friendly people (everyone where we live now is always in a bad mood with a scowl on their face)
A walkable friendly downtown area
Water access whether it be a lake, ocean, river, etc. We miss the water!
Nice town parks for running, tennis, picnics, etc.
Airport access. Right now we are 3hrs away from the closest airport.
Museums, art galleries, historic theaters, zoos, aquariums, any type of cultural attractions would be a benefit over where we are living now.

Any suggestions on an area that would fit a number of these would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 10:59 AM

13,245 posts, read 24,509,875 times
Spokane/Coeur d'Alene.

Fort Collins (possibly), Boulder too (might be too expensive, lacking water).

Maybe Olympia or Bellingham, WA (weather could become an issue, closest "culture" would be in Seattle and/or Vancouver).

Old 03-30-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Spokane/Coeur d'Alene.

Fort Collins (possibly), Boulder too (might be too expensive, lacking water).

Maybe Olympia or Bellingham, WA (weather could become an issue, closest "culture" would be in Seattle and/or Vancouver).
I was thinking about the Seattle area, however, the rents look outrageous even an hour outside of the city. Nothing came up for under $2000. Are Bellingham and Olympia cheaper? Nice small towns or more suburban in look and attitude?

I haven't really been a fan of anywhere I've visited in Colorado. Too crowded, too many temperature differences throughout the day, lack of any culture.

Also, I've thought of Spokane although I've seen a lot of nasty threads about the rundown look of the town, high crime, etc. The weather definitely does not bother me - in fact, I actually like overcast, dreary weather so that would just be a bonus! The endless sun really does get boring! I'll have to do a bit more research.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon81 View Post
I was thinking about the Seattle area, however, the rents look outrageous even an hour outside of the city. Nothing came up for under $2000. Are Bellingham and Olympia cheaper? Nice small towns or more suburban in look and attitude?

I haven't really been a fan of anywhere I've visited in Colorado. Too crowded, too many temperature differences throughout the day, lack of any culture.

Also, I've thought of Spokane although I've seen a lot of nasty threads about the rundown look of the town, high crime, etc. The weather definitely does not bother me - in fact, I actually like overcast, dreary weather so that would just be a bonus! The endless sun really does get boring! I'll have to do a bit more research.
Seattle isn't worth it IMO. Bellingham and Olympia are cheaper, small cities with their suburban areas.

Spokane can be run down, especially in parts of downtown (mostly just old or unoccupied), and directly north of the river. Spokane is really only overcast/dreary during winter. It is more of a true four-seasons climate.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:23 PM

286 posts, read 217,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon81 View Post
My husband and I are moving out of Northern Arizona due to the high cost of living, rude people, and limited recreation and entertainment. We are open to pretty much every area except for the Midwest. We work from home so employment is not an issue. We are willing to live in either a rural or urban area, although prefer not to live in the suburbs near a bunch of big box chains. Access to a city (even if an hour or 2 away) is fine.

Some of the things we are looking for in our new location

A decent rental for up to $1500-1600. Prefer a 2-3 bedroom. Not ready to buy a house, just renting right now
Lots of fitness and hiking opportunities within an hour's drive
Great weekend road trips nearby
Pretty natural scenery
Would prefer a change in weather (much too sunny day in, day out where we live now) Rain, snow, thunderstorms, etc would be nice for a change of pace, although not necessary.
Lots of local businesses
Lots of seasonal events and holiday celebrations
Paved biked paths
Good coffee shop and libraries - we often work from our laptops outside the home
Nice, friendly people (everyone where we live now is always in a bad mood with a scowl on their face)
A walkable friendly downtown area
Water access whether it be a lake, ocean, river, etc. We miss the water!
Nice town parks for running, tennis, picnics, etc.
Airport access. Right now we are 3hrs away from the closest airport.
Museums, art galleries, historic theaters, zoos, aquariums, any type of cultural attractions would be a benefit over where we are living now.

Any suggestions on an area that would fit a number of these would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.
Check out upstate New York near the capital region , pretty much nails wverything you are looking for .
My opinion is we have the best outdoors in the country , nothing beats the Adirondack mountains and we have other ranges in every direction , countless forest and hiking opportunities . Lake George is one of the most beautiful places in the country and tons of other lakes , ponds and rivers .
Four seasons . Spring and fall are breathtaking , Summer doesn't get too bad , humidity gets up there a few weeks a year around August -September winters are long and cold

Only a few hours to ocean , 3 and a half hours to Boston , 2 and a half -3 to New York City , 5 to buffalo and short drive to Canada as well

Old 03-30-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
Check out upstate New York near the capital region , pretty much nails wverything you are looking for .
My opinion is we have the best outdoors in the country , nothing beats the Adirondack mountains and we have other ranges in every direction , countless forest and hiking opportunities . Lake George is one of the most beautiful places in the country and tons of other lakes , ponds and rivers .
Four seasons . Spring and fall are breathtaking , Summer doesn't get too bad , humidity gets up there a few weeks a year around August -September winters are long and cold

Only a few hours to ocean , 3 and a half hours to Boston , 2 and a half -3 to New York City , 5 to buffalo and short drive to Canada as well
Believe me, I would move back up to the Northeast in a second if I could. After living in many areas, I now know that without a doubt it is the best area in the country. The beautiful 4 seasons, diverse cities, diverse landscapes, beautiful nature, great cities, charming coastal towns, and great culture just cannot be beat and almost everything is just a short distance away. Upstate NY (agree the hiking is wonderful!) is very beautiful as is New England where I used to live. Unfortunately, it would mean a pricey move across the entire country which I really do not have the time or money for right now! Hopefully getting back up there in the future!

Old 03-30-2016, 04:48 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,131,784 times
Norfolk, VA, definitely. Checks all of your boxes.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:13 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,147,252 times
Ashland, Oregon perhaps?
People say it's expensive but i'm used to coast of California rental prices so to me, it's not bad at all and i see some rentals that are within your budget.
It's in the beautiful Rogue Valley in southern Oregon.
I think, as a north easterner, parts of Oregon may feel more like home to you. Perhaps more than any other place in the west.

medford apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...22.FdziO1zu1P4 >>>>> Images of Ashland, Oregon.

City of Ashland, Oregon - HOME

https://www.osfashland.org/en.aspx

Old 03-30-2016, 09:21 PM

17,391 posts, read 19,653,634 times
Northern Arizona has a high COL?

Old 03-30-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Northern Arizona has a high COL?
Flagstaff kind of does. I wouldn't say Bullhead City, Kingman, Page, or the NE AZ counties are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or