U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 03:31 AM

36 posts, read 262,953 times

Advertisements

Pretty much the places that guy said on the list are on target even though I didn't find Flagstaff, Arizona all that liberal when I was there in 2009. Passing through on my way from Southbury, Connecticut to Surf Beach, California and taking the back roads all the way across America. Las Cruces, New Mexico? NOPE! Then again, I being a member of the LGBT community and a transgender woman, the issues I have to deal with when it comes to people are probably different than someone who fits the role that is "expected of her/him". Las Cruces seems to have a lot of rather ignorant Mexican-Americans both documented, and undocumented; extremely conservative Catholics who find it rather difficult to think outside the box. Add to that the local rednecks who can be even worse and will literally yell at you from passing four-wheel-drive pickup truck here in Las Cruces; it's not quite as bad as Deming, or maybe Alamogordo, New Mexico (I've never been to Hobbs where our extremely ignorant Southern Baptist Republican Congressman Steve Pearce lives but I have heard it's even worse), but it is rather conservative. Despite the fact that there are a number of married lesbian and gay couples living in Las Cruces, most of whom are associated with New Mexico State University in some way or another (the university itself being okay).

Anyway, I was wondering about Olympia, Washington as I am thinking about applying to Evergreen State College, among other schools; I being a nontraditional student on SSD/SSI. It seems like a pretty progressive place, Olympia itself. Especially from what I saw in www.weedmaps.com; a website that lists all the places in all 50 states where one can legally get both medical marijuana and recreational marijuana-like Colorado, Washington State has both!!! Leading me to guess that Olympia must be a rather cool place and a lot more progressive than Las Cruces, New Mexico; despite the fact that we have a state senator here, Senator Bill McCamley of New Mexico's 36th District who is pushing for legalization of recreational marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 12:25 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,651,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsass123 View Post
Pretty much the places that guy said on the list are on target even though I didn't find Flagstaff, Arizona all that liberal when I was there in 2009. Passing through on my way from Southbury, Connecticut to Surf Beach, California and taking the back roads all the way across America. Las Cruces, New Mexico? NOPE! Then again, I being a member of the LGBT community and a transgender woman, the issues I have to deal with when it comes to people are probably different than someone who fits the role that is "expected of her/him". Las Cruces seems to have a lot of rather ignorant Mexican-Americans both documented, and undocumented; extremely conservative Catholics who find it rather difficult to think outside the box. Add to that the local rednecks who can be even worse and will literally yell at you from passing four-wheel-drive pickup truck here in Las Cruces; it's not quite as bad as Deming, or maybe Alamogordo, New Mexico (I've never been to Hobbs where our extremely ignorant Southern Baptist Republican Congressman Steve Pearce lives but I have heard it's even worse), but it is rather conservative. Despite the fact that there are a number of married lesbian and gay couples living in Las Cruces, most of whom are associated with New Mexico State University in some way or another (the university itself being okay).

Anyway, I was wondering about Olympia, Washington as I am thinking about applying to Evergreen State College, among other schools; I being a nontraditional student on SSD/SSI. It seems like a pretty progressive place, Olympia itself. Especially from what I saw in www.weedmaps.com; a website that lists all the places in all 50 states where one can legally get both medical marijuana and recreational marijuana-like Colorado, Washington State has both!!! Leading me to guess that Olympia must be a rather cool place and a lot more progressive than Las Cruces, New Mexico; despite the fact that we have a state senator here, Senator Bill McCamley of New Mexico's 36th District who is pushing for legalization of recreational marijuana.
Flagstaff is sort of liberal but its not the most liberal town in the state. That title belongs to Bisbee I believe. Bisbee tried to legalize gay marriage long before the state even thought about it back in the day. Sedona, just due south of Flagstaff, is in a beautiful area and is full of hippies. Sedona is definitely liberal but in a different way because of the hippies. Lots of new age stuff there, it's cool actually. Flagstaff has some of the hippie population but not to the extent of Sedona.

I think with the liberal areas in Arizona appear liberal because of the large Hispanic populations. For an example Tucson is almost a Hispanic-majority city and Hispanics tend to skew democratic. Tucson is frequently touted as a liberal city but if it is anything it's moderate with liberal tendencies. Slightly left-leaning. This doesn't always mean a progressive vibe or lifestyle and if that's what they mean by liberal than yes the kind of liberal population does matter. Just like conservatives can't all be categorized one way either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or