U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:41 PM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romyo5 View Post
Never read GWTW . Of course Southern Catholic exists but it is the exception rather than the rule in virtually every southern city that ain't New Orleans.

Let's not even talk about the fact that there's nothing southern about the New Orleans accent.

I guess what I'm asking is if Lubbock or Amarillo would fit what you call southern and if not why.
Well, maybe you're asking the wrong person. I am from Louisiana (New Orleans to be specific) and have lived the past 20 years or so in east Texas. I've also lived in GA, AL, NC, SC, VA, TN and AL. They're all different in many ways but they're all also Southern - and Louisiana is one of the most southern of the Deep South states. So sorry, but I don't "get" the premise of your original question.

All border states, including Texas, but also VA, TN, and AR, all have some elements of other regions in them the closer to the outside border you get. For instance, does northern Arkansas feel all that "southern?" To me, not particularly, but that doesn't mean that Arkansas in general isn't a southern state culturally.

As for Amarillo and Lubbock, it's been so long since I was in either of those cities that I really don't feel qualified to answer that question other than very vaguely - which is, "Those cities don't feel as southern to me as Houston or Dallas."

Louisiana isn't a very large state. That being said, there's a lot more to Louisiana than simply New Orleans. But New Orleans not southern? My gosh, it's so southern it makes my teeth hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:36 PM

18,639 posts, read 27,073,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romyo5 View Post
Wouldn't Houston be a hybrid of southern and Mexico?
Before 1970, Houston's demographics were in line with the rest of the South. A White and Black population.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:42 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,513,591 times
New Orleans and the rest of southern Louisiana was DEEP into the slave economy. Perhaps more so than any other state. The African and European cultures also blended there more than anywhere else. The French colonists were Catholic yes, but the French have long been noted for their lack of religiousness. And honestly I have never met a black person from Louisiana that said they are Catholic, so the religion didn't flow from the French to their fellow statesmen.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:42 AM

1,502 posts, read 1,354,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, maybe you're asking the wrong person. I am from Louisiana (New Orleans to be specific) and have lived the past 20 years or so in east Texas. I've also lived in GA, AL, NC, SC, VA, TN and AL. They're all different in many ways but they're all also Southern - and Louisiana is one of the most southern of the Deep South states. So sorry, but I don't "get" the premise of your original question.

All border states, including Texas, but also VA, TN, and AR, all have some elements of other regions in them the closer to the outside border you get. For instance, does northern Arkansas feel all that "southern?" To me, not particularly, but that doesn't mean that Arkansas in general isn't a southern state culturally.

As for Amarillo and Lubbock, it's been so long since I was in either of those cities that I really don't feel qualified to answer that question other than very vaguely - which is, "Those cities don't feel as southern to me as Houston or Dallas."

Louisiana isn't a very large state. That being said, there's a lot more to Louisiana than simply New Orleans. But New Orleans not southern? My gosh, it's so southern it makes my teeth hurt.
I wouldn't consider Tennessee a border state when it is directly south of Kentucky.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:27 AM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
I wouldn't consider Tennessee a border state when it is directly south of Kentucky.

Tennessee also borders Missouri.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:18 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,643,151 times
While I suppose Texas was part of the South historically, I never personally think of Texas as a Southern state, but I've heard Eastern Texas is fairly Southern, and that's the only part of Texas I haven't been to. The rest of Texas I have been to seems to have fairly general American culture, not much different then Western state, most of the Midwest, or Florida. Southern states, New England, NYC, Chicago, Boston, and a handful of other places have their own distinct cultures to various extents, but I don't think most of Texas falls into a Southern cultural category, just the border areas of the state on the East side.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:10 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,404,423 times
Who says there needs to be one monolithic brand of "southerness"? Are the gullahs on the sea islands of the Carolinas southern? Are appalachians in north Georgia southern? Is Nashville really that similar to Natchez, Mississippi?

Old 03-31-2016, 04:37 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,568,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Who says there needs to be one monolithic brand of "southerness"? Are the gullahs on the sea islands of the Carolinas southern? Are appalachians in north Georgia southern? Is Nashville really that similar to Natchez, Mississippi?
very good post, there are tons of subcultures in the south. tidewater virginia and eastern shore maryland,low country south carolina ,piedmont ,cajun and acadian, kentucky bluegrass country, florida cracker culture, conch culture,gullah, delta Mississippi,southwestern texas,gulf culture, ozark and Appalachian, all the coastal cultures. look at all the food and cuisine in the various areas and all the different vegetable and fruits and plants grown all over the southern states , and the music!

Old 03-31-2016, 06:58 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,523,355 times
the South is so diverse in cultures; you can't make a claim that Southern Louisiana isn't Southern when most of the culture was developed IN the South. lol

Old 03-31-2016, 11:02 PM

922 posts, read 1,017,050 times
Southern Louisiana is the only region within the Deep South where the white population has been for a long time, predominantly Catholic and of more diverse European heritage. In Texas, the white population was more reflective of the Deep South's as in predominantly protestant, and mostly of English and or Scotch-Irish heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or