U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:42 AM

7,826 posts, read 12,342,051 times

Advertisements

When I'm in Texas I see a lot more Texan pride than Southern pride. A lot more Lone Star flags than Confederate flags and people rarely talk about taking pride in the war etc etc. A lot more people in Louisiana are rooted in this kind of history, heck I know more people in West Virginia who are into Confederate history and had ancestors fight in the war than Texans. East Texas is the South I'll say that much but definitely not El Paso, the Rio Grande Valley, San Antonio and I'd say the Panhandle is maybe borderline southern and Midwestern with a lot of similarities to Oklahoma.

The wide open spaces and desert landscape and arid climate in West Texas is not characteristic of the South. Also the predominant Mexican culture is distinctly non-Southern. Cajun food has a lot more in common with traditional Southern cooking than Mexican food does. New Orleans itself does have things that stand out from the rest of the south, especially its significant Irish and Italian immigration the same time that happened in the Northeast, and its density and urban neighborhoods vs the more suburban nature of most Southern cities but New Orleans is only one small part of Louisiana and even within the city there are places like the Garden District that are VERY traditionally Southern. Louisiana also has a large number of historic plantations which Texas is not associated with.

Texas is too big to classify into one region I would say El Paso is definitely Southwest (though some argue culturally it is not American at all as the city is almost entirely immigrants who practice Mexican culture) while Texarkana is definitely Southern. Laredo is also hardly American at all and has an authentic Mexican culture due to immigration, no different than the other side of the border. Laredo and El Paso are some of the few places in the US where the vast majority of people do not speak English as their primary language, Miami is another such place. I've always thought of the entire border area as an extension of Mexico due to immigration.

Dallas's culture is heavily diluted by northern transplants and immigrants but its core native culture is southern. Houston's native culture is also Southern even though it too has been heavily diluted by outsiders moving in which in a way makes it similar to Charlotte and Atlanta which are facing the same trends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 09:17 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,692,794 times
As a Louisianian from the northern part of the state, every visit down South (south louisiana that is) is like being in a different world. The food is great, the people down South are great, but it is very different from the northern part of the state which is mainstream southern US. I haven't found anything to compare to it and I have travelled through all the deep South and eastern South and Florida and Texas as well. Where I live, I can relate better to Texas than anywhere else including Arkansas and Mississippi. Maybe it's the proximity but really all the culture stuff on CD doesn't mean that we are familiar with every state in the South. I did see some differences east of the Mississippi River such as better behaved people and the old southern manners and charm that is lacking so badly where I'm from.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:24 AM

173 posts, read 91,720 times
TX is both southern and southwestern with crossovers.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:35 AM

173 posts, read 91,720 times
Isn't a Texas accent a southern accent? To me it sounds like a TN accent even in the western parts that aren't considered southern.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:45 PM

18,652 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Isn't a Texas accent a southern accent? To me it sounds like a TN accent even in the western parts that aren't considered southern.
There isn't a one Texas accent.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:14 PM

212 posts, read 173,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
But cities like Houston aren't similar to Nashville, Little Rock, etc. It doesn't have that southern culture.

That's just my take on it.
Try telling that to residents of 5th Ward Houston, or Houston's North Side. See what kinda responses you get...

Old 09-22-2017, 02:23 PM

2,797 posts, read 1,651,372 times
The east half of Texas is definitely the south, the western half is more like the south west. San Antonio might be a little of both.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:55 PM

18,652 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Try telling that to residents of 5th Ward Houston, or Houston's North Side. See what kinda responses you get...
I think you have to look at the entire body of work instead just of just certain hoods. I get what you're saying, I'm just pointing that out.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:26 PM

212 posts, read 173,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think you have to look at the entire body of work instead just of just certain hoods. I get what you're saying, I'm just pointing that out.
Copy that. I feel you

I've noticed, however, following similar arguments in other threads, that there are People who like to do the reverse in order to make opposing arguments. I just think it's ironic when people, on this forum and in everyday life, try to define reality for others, while not considering what those others themselves (about whom they're arguing) actually consider as reality.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:32 PM

4,870 posts, read 2,997,189 times
Both states are southern. I mean, they're certainly not northern right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or