U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,254 times

Advertisements

Specifically Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. We all know why some people don't consider Texas the South (beef bbq, Tex-Mex, Mexican culture, cowboys, etc.) but why is Southern Louisiana still considered the South when their culture is so much different than the rest of the region (French influence, Catholicism, Cajun/Creole food, accent, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:22 AM

12,781 posts, read 28,799,811 times
I have no idea and never knew it was (or wasn't) considered southern, maybe try the La forum?

Old 03-30-2016, 11:51 AM

2,631 posts, read 4,564,814 times
[quote=Trainwreck20;43539317]I have no idea and never knew it was (or wasn't) considered southern, maybe try the La forum?[/QUOTE

My opinion as well.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:55 AM

3,944 posts, read 4,037,693 times
The part of Texas not considered all that southern is the far west and far south portions of the state, where the terrain, climate, and culture is significantly different from the south. Most of Texas is considered southern. Dallas and Houston are both southern cities. El Paso is the largest Texas city that is not.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:18 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,026,992 times
I believe the reason is that Texas is much newer state, so it had less time to blend in the US culture compared to Louisiana.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:37 PM

7,702 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Cowboy culture and Mexican influence aren't very southern. There's too much of the Wild West in Texas.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:48 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times
To me New Orleans is part of the South... You have the Southern weather, the Southern architecture (with some of the French architecture as well near the Quarter, the rest of it looks like the rest of the South that I've seen), the Southern attitude (extroverted, etc.), and so on. New Orleans has a unique history and some of this history still resonates in modern day NOLA but it's not something so isolating to remove it from the South. New Orleans isn't as different from the rest of the South as Miami is. Miami I can understand to be not considered part of the South... New Orleans I don't get. Miami is so influenced by its immigrants, particularly the Caribbean, New York, and its role in pop culture that it doesn't match the South at all. I assume that at one point Miami was Southern in behavior, probably during its founding, but has drastically changed. New Orleans has not, if anything may be more stereotypically Southern than it used to be given the decreasing prominence of French Creole over there. Other than the unique New Orleans accent it isn't that different, especially in behavior. They eat Southern cuisine, they have that Southern charm... It checks out IMO.

Texas is weird to me. I am five hours from El Paso and I always forget about that, and it still shocks me seeing El Paso on the I-10 signs because in my mind I view Texas as being much further away, as I associate Texas with Dallas and Houston. Houston is actually very close to New Orleans for one thing, outside of the French thing they probably have some similarities. I've never been in Texas, except for layovers, so I can't talk about that. But, if El Paso is considered Southern than so is Tucson. So at one point the Southernness in Texas ends, so Texas isn't "Southern" in every inch of its state... If the "Southern" in Texas ends fairly far East, and the majority of the state isn't "Southern" in behavior, can the whole State of Texas even be considered Southern? Again, that's my assumption on why it's debated, and New Orleans is not.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:54 PM

6,842 posts, read 6,183,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The part of Texas not considered all that southern is the far west and far south portions of the state, where the terrain, climate, and culture is significantly different from the south. Most of Texas is considered southern. Dallas and Houston are both southern cities. El Paso is the largest Texas city that is not.
I would agree that Houston is a "southern" city, but Dallas is a hybrid of southern and great plains.

Southern Louisiana is considered southern by geography, climate, flora and fauna. Perhaps the Cajun and Creole makes it unique but no less southern as you don't find those types of people anywhere else but the south (in the US)

Old 03-30-2016, 06:14 PM

44,694 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Draw a vertical line straight through the middle of Texas. East of that line is southern in character, history, etc. West of that line - not as much.

All of Louisiana is southern to the core. There are many varieties of "southern" and Louisiana is just one variety. East Texas is another variety. Appalachia is another variety. The Low Country is another one. The Gulf. The Outer Banks. Tobacco country. The Chesapeake Bay area. I could go on but you get my drift.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:18 PM

18,635 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
To me New Orleans is part of the South... You have the Southern weather, the Southern architecture (with some of the French architecture as well near the Quarter, the rest of it looks like the rest of the South that I've seen), the Southern attitude (extroverted, etc.), and so on. New Orleans has a unique history and some of this history still resonates in modern day NOLA but it's not something so isolating to remove it from the South. New Orleans isn't as different from the rest of the South as Miami is. Miami I can understand to be not considered part of the South... New Orleans I don't get. Miami is so influenced by its immigrants, particularly the Caribbean, New York, and its role in pop culture that it doesn't match the South at all. I assume that at one point Miami was Southern in behavior, probably during its founding, but has drastically changed. New Orleans has not, if anything may be more stereotypically Southern than it used to be given the decreasing prominence of French Creole over there. Other than the unique New Orleans accent it isn't that different, especially in behavior. They eat Southern cuisine, they have that Southern charm... It checks out IMO.

Texas is weird to me. I am five hours from El Paso and I always forget about that, and it still shocks me seeing El Paso on the I-10 signs because in my mind I view Texas as being much further away, as I associate Texas with Dallas and Houston. Houston is actually very close to New Orleans for one thing, outside of the French thing they probably have some similarities. I've never been in Texas, except for layovers, so I can't talk about that. But, if El Paso is considered Southern than so is Tucson. So at one point the Southernness in Texas ends, so Texas isn't "Southern" in every inch of its state... If the "Southern" in Texas ends fairly far East, and the majority of the state isn't "Southern" in behavior, can the whole State of Texas even be considered Southern? Again, that's my assumption on why it's debated, and New Orleans is not.
I honestly don't think most people would consider El Paso is a Southern state. It's just it is in a state that identifies with itself as being Southern the most. The Trans-Pecos area and the Valley is probably the least Southern part of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or