U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 02:13 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,254,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This is a bit of an exaggeration. The individual amenities are usually too far apart in a suburban strip mall to get the highest walkscore. Strip Malls can get moderately high walkscores (50-65) but can't get high walkscores. High walkscores in the suburbs are almost always associated with traditional walkable town centers.
I lived in Brooklyn and Orange County, CA, in polar opposite neighborhoods, and the difference in walkscore is only 11 points. That's absurd.

There were no pedestrians whatsoever in my CA neighborhood, outside of joggers. You wouldn't see a soul outside during the day, besides gardeners/pool guys. In Brooklyn everyone was out on the streets.

How could these completely opposite neighborhoods be just 11 points apart in walkability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 02:16 PM

2,917 posts, read 2,016,119 times
I agree with NOLA101's Post #18. I've looked at this briefly and typed in several addresses to get a feel for this, but what I noticed is the walkability score underestimated several physical obstacles (i.e. a major, dangerous to cross roadway with multiple lanes of traffic in each direction) that someone truly would face if they tried to walk from Point A to Point B, but gave a high walkability score due to raw proximity.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:20 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,254,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I agree with NOLA101's Post #18. I've looked at this briefly and typed in several addresses to get a feel for this, but what I noticed is the walkability score underestimated several physical obstacles (i.e. a major, dangerous to cross roadway with multiple lanes of traffic in each direction) that someone truly would face if they tried to walk from Point A to Point B, but gave a high walkability score due to raw proximity.
Exactly.

Technically in Orange County I could have walked to a ton of shops/restaurants, but practically no one did it because 1. They were up a steep hill, 2. There was a major highway to cross 3. No one else is walking so it isn't pleasant to walk and cars don't expect you coming and 4. All the shops/restaurants have parking anyways.

This was in Newport Beach, BTW, if people know that area. How can it have walkscore not too far off from Brooklyn? Makes no sense, IMO. Walkscore doesn't take into account the quality of the walk. Just because I have Starbucks three blocks away in both locations doesn't mean it's an equivalent walk.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:04 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,347,040 times
Not everybody can drive.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:28 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,644,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Exactly.

Technically in Orange County I could have walked to a ton of shops/restaurants, but practically no one did it because 1. They were up a steep hill, 2. There was a major highway to cross 3. No one else is walking so it isn't pleasant to walk and cars don't expect you coming and 4. All the shops/restaurants have parking anyways.

This was in Newport Beach, BTW, if people know that area. How can it have walkscore not too far off from Brooklyn? Makes no sense, IMO. Walkscore doesn't take into account the quality of the walk. Just because I have Starbucks three blocks away in both locations doesn't mean it's an equivalent walk.
Newport Beach is definitely more car-oriented. It appeared that there were a couple areas near the John Wayne airport that I could deem walkable but it didn't seem there were a lot of residences right in that area, because of all the corporations like Google.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:55 PM

37 posts, read 42,071 times
Walkability score is also appreciated or depreciated depending on the trend of gas prices. When gas prices go down, people don't mind driving and live further away, especially given the recent terrorist attacks in the big cities.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:49 AM

13,250 posts, read 17,784,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADriver14 View Post
Thank you all for your insight.

- Terrorism: Given the recent terrorist attacks in Brussel and Paris, if you want to avoid using public transportation and drive your own car, you have to move to suburbs.
We happily lived and worked and drove a 4-wheel jeep in DC. Public transportation at 100F after a long day where most ladies carry their office shoes in little bags on the subway and the trains are packed like sardine cans. I pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or