U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2016, 12:24 PM
 
Location: East of the Appaichans
325 posts, read 207,319 times
Reputation: 353

Advertisements

Mammoth Caves NP in Kentucky? I've been there and liked it...not spectacular but fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2016, 04:09 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,205,375 times
Reputation: 1691
Underrated:
All the Alaskan National Parks. (Denali is the most impressive NP I have ever been to and I have been to about half of the 59)

Overrated:
Hot Springs (Shouldn't even be a national park.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 04:49 PM
 
137 posts, read 79,394 times
Reputation: 77
I feel like all the people that live in the PNW and ego stroke their mountains forget the most beautiful and largest national park in the country is the Adirondacks . You can't beat them any part of the year . Beautiful snow covered pine trees and endless hundreds of miles of snowmobile and skiing trails tons of skiing and snowboarding mountains . Beautiful lakes . And you can't beat upstate New York / Adirondacks in the fall with the leaves changing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 05:55 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,205,375 times
Reputation: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post
I feel like all the people that live in the PNW and ego stroke their mountains forget the most beautiful and largest national park in the country is the Adirondacks . You can't beat them any part of the year . Beautiful snow covered pine trees and endless hundreds of miles of snowmobile and skiing trails tons of skiing and snowboarding mountains . Beautiful lakes . And you can't beat upstate New York / Adirondacks in the fall with the leaves changing
Sure, except for the fact that it is not a national park. Even if it was a national park it wouldn't be the biggest. Wrangell-St Elias, Gates of the Arctic and Denali (if you count the preserve as well) are all larger. Also, the Adirondacks are 6.1 million acres but 52% of it is privately owned. Personally I find most of the national parks in the West to be more impressive and beautiful than the Adirondacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 08:20 PM
 
Location: The Windy City
5,300 posts, read 3,296,612 times
Reputation: 4509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Underrated:
All the Alaskan National Parks. (Denali is the most impressive NP I have ever been to and I have been to about half of the 59)

Overrated:
Hot Springs (Shouldn't even be a national park.)
Agreed about the Alaskan national parks! But many of them are very rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 10:27 AM
 
483 posts, read 422,137 times
Reputation: 654
Carlsbad Caverns is underrated, IMO, in that it's so isolated that it doesn't get many visitors. But it is pretty spectacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 10:36 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,242,381 times
Reputation: 9846
To me, Yellowstone is overrated. It's nice but not deserving of its reputation. I find even the Adirondacks to me prettier and more interesting, and they're not even a National Park (though probably should be; were established as State Park before there were National Parks)

Yosemite is the other endlessly hyped national park, but I feel Yosemite actually stands up to reputation. The only problem with Yosemite is too many people during high season.

I also feel Grand Canyon meets its lofty expectations. It's a must-see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Lubec, ME
908 posts, read 910,875 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
To me, Yellowstone is overrated. It's nice but not deserving of its reputation. I find even the Adirondacks to me prettier and more interesting, and they're not even a National Park (though probably should be; were established as State Park before there were National Parks)

Yosemite is the other endlessly hyped national park, but I feel Yosemite actually stands up to reputation. The only problem with Yosemite is too many people during high season.

I also feel Grand Canyon meets its lofty expectations. It's a must-see.
Acadia stands up - but it's awash in congestion due to the location. I can think of a dozen smaller preserves, state parks, hiking areas in Maine that can compete.

Grand Canyon, that place is run over by tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 12:55 PM
 
24 posts, read 30,279 times
Reputation: 55
I have been to 34 but am on a quest to see them all. I think they are all unique, in their own way and I agree that its a great use of public funds.

Underwhelming (I still greatly enjoyed all of these and would go back to them): Congaree in S Carolina, Cuyahoga Valley in Ohio, Wind Cave in S Dakota, Mammoth Caves in Kentucky, Hot Springs in Arkansas, Petrified Forest & Saguaro in Arizona

Too many to list on the outstanding list. But of ones that haven't already been listed - Haleakala & Volcanoes in Hawaii, all 5 of the Utah NP's (Bryce, Capital Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Zion), Glacier in Montana, Shenandoah in Virginia, T Roosevelt in N Dakota, Mt Rainier, North Cascades & Olympics in Washington, Rocky Mtn in Colorado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 01:50 PM
 
Location: 3219'03.7"N 10643'55.9"W
8,114 posts, read 17,318,097 times
Reputation: 7281
Let's not forget Mesa Verde, in SW Colorado. The Cliff Dwellings created here by the Puebloans centuries ago are awe inspiring. One of the pleasures of my life was visiting this place.

Edit: Just for curiosity, I ran through the list. I have only been to 14 so far, but the Grand Canyon is next on my list. I thought I would also name, for what it is worth, three parks I have yet to visit that I would love to.

1) Capitol Reef
2) Glacier
3) Yosemite

Last edited by mike0421; 07-10-2016 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top