U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state best represents the "Wild West"?
Washington 0 0%
Idaho 0 0%
Montana 4 5.63%
Oregon 0 0%
Wyoming 35 49.30%
California 3 4.23%
Nevada 8 11.27%
Utah 1 1.41%
Colorado 1 1.41%
Arizona 12 16.90%
New Mexico 7 9.86%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 11:11 AM

2,696 posts, read 2,347,809 times

Advertisements

For most wild west, I'd rank Wyoming first, followed by Arizona then New Mexico and Montana. Colorado used to be 'western' but too many transplants changed the demographics and culture to a point it's a mixture of the west coast and east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 01:43 PM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,499,214 times
Wyoming

Lowest population

No "real" cities

Also look at their license plate....that just screams wild west, a bucking bronco.

I remember getting pulled over for speeding near Jeffrey City,
trooper was in no hurry to pull me over
....there was no where for me to go, the middle of nowhere.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:38 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,446,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
I agree with everything you said, and I lived there for a while and it "felt" like the wild west. Johnson County Wars (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid) the Oregon Trail going right through there. It just FELT like the wild west to me.

Having said that, Deadwood is in South Dakota.
Yes, I know that. I should have been clearer in my post. I think of Deadwood, which is very close to Wyoming. Western South Dakota and Wyoming have the same feel to them.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:44 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,519,167 times
Wyoming was my first thought as well.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:40 PM

3,082 posts, read 2,116,521 times
When I think of Wyoming, I think of wind, not the wild west. I-80 through Wyoming has to be the windiest stretch of road in the US.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:50 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,701,035 times
I voted for Arizona. There are cities in Arizona that are literally dedicated to the wild west/recreation of the wild west in modern times. There is also a good chunk of Scottsdale, AZ that is set up to look like a "wild western" town, this area is known as old town scottsdale. Although I voted for Arizona, the more I think about the more I have come to the conclusion that you really can't narrow it down to one state. I think Arizona, Wyoming, and Texas all pack a fair punch when speaking about the "wild west".

Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,940,524 times
NM gets my vote. It has the weather, scenery, and lifestyle that screams "old West". AZ is mostly too new and bustling for me to categorize it as "old West". Sure there are spots here and there that mimic the old West feel, but theyre tourist traps, including Tombstone. Driving through desolate areas of NM, to me, feels most like the old wild West than anything else out there.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:22 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
As should Kansas, which, IMO, was the epitome of the wild west that most of Hollywood liked to make movies about. Wide open plains, farmers, drovers and cattle drives, wild murderous cow towns, outlaws hiding out in the open, railroads, hail storms and tornados, constant conflict with indigenous people, wagon trains, the Sante Fe Trail, the Chisolm Trail, the Oregon Trail, the Pony Express, The Overland Stage trail, border wars with Missouri, gunslingers like Wild Bill, Wyatt Earp, John Hardin, places like Abiline, Dodge City, Ft Hays. The list could go on.

The geography of Kansas meant that the situation, the people and their conflicts took center stage in a number of events from 1830-1870. But by that the latter parts of that time, Kansas was really cleaning up its act and all the wildness was being pushed out to points north, west, and south. Wyoming and Montana saw the culimination of the Plains Indian wars, Colorado, Arizona, and Nevada had their gold rushes and resulting environmental and people conflicts, and the pop culture of the time was migrating with them all creating the myths we perceive as western now, leaving Kansas is a side note in that perception.

Now days, I think the general public perception of the wild west would be the wide open spaces, boots and hats, and pick up trucks that would lean heavily towards Texas, Wyoming, and Montana.

Great post!

Yeh, for whatever reason, many people forget about Kansas' history. Some consider it bland now, but it was the furthest thing from boring before statehood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or