U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:48 AM

7,555 posts, read 2,425,094 times

Advertisements

043: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.
----------

I'm actually a child of lower-middle class immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 09:46 AM

11,171 posts, read 22,363,867 times
I got 49:

4899: A lifelong resident of a working-class neighborhood with average television and movie going habits. Typical: 77.

Must have been from growing up and my early years. The past 10 years or so I live in a wealthy area right by Wrigley Field and have a household income of around $300,000.

honestly I thought I would get more of a bubble! I certainly grew up lower-middle class with strong roots in Iowa though.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:34 PM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,489,778 times
I got 22.

Only because I watch a lot of TV

Old 04-14-2017, 10:16 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
I got a score of 54. I have blue collar roots and most of my friends did not go to college though I'm completing a graduate degree.

I'm also the son of LEGAL immigrants raised in the South and I'm definitely the kind of person who listens to country music, goes to NASCAR races, shoots guns, goes to church every week, drinks cheap beers, does most of my shopping at Walmart. I also voted for Donald Trump, have been a lifelong Republican, and have a Confederate flag inside my house. I am a Christian who believes in the Bible literally and I do not believe in global warming, which makes me quite mainstream in the community I live in now in West Virginia and also similar to where I grew up in Louisiana.

My favorite foods happen to be barbecue ribs, steaks, and fried catfish. Everyone tells me I've very assimilated and "very American". I have white friend who tell me I am "more American" and "more Southern" than their own families.

I also feel I'm significantly more Southern than I am "middle American" though in terms of my cultural tastes and my mindset. But I do know people in that yuppie bubble, especially those from places like NY, NJ and California and they are among the most narrow-minded, intolerant an self-righteous group imaginable. I've had people be completely floored by the fact that I still watch Duck Dynasty and eat at Chick fil A and watch Mel Gibson movies.

The "animal rights" and radical environmentalists truly show out how of touch with America they are. Not every place is like Silicon Valley or Washington DC where you can have perfectly "clean" industries. I've lived in Louisiana where oil and gas is important, in the Baltimore region where steelmaking and automaking USED TO be important, and how live in West Virginia coal country. Most communities have to make a trade off between jobs and the environment, something the liberal elite will never understand. I care more about people in my community being able to put food on the table than about the birds and the fish. That's just the honest truth. Government overregulation is usually done by bureaucrats in Washington who have no idea what the lives of ordinary people are like and I completely resent Obama and the Democrats for the economic harm they've done through their policies. They also don't care about sending American jobs overseas just to satisfy their desire to redistribute American wealth to the rest of the world.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:27 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I got a 35.

My parents were both well traveled intellectual types - New Yorkers and then Floridians. My Dad served in the US Army and my Mom in the US Navy. I grew up in a middle class suburb. We did dine out in places like Denny's, IHOP, and Outback (wish Red Lobster was on the list!) My Dad was a regional sales rep and bought a new car - either a Chevy or a Buick every four years. Our family was not snobbish though and we loved barbecue, roadside attractions, flea markets, Sunday drives, etc.

I'm a very mixed bag. I have some friends who live in rather run-down blue collar working class neighborhoods in North Philly. I go camping with a friend and sleep in tent in the summer. I drive a 10 year old Hyundai Sonata. I wear a uniform at work. On the other hand I love classical music, go to the symphony (Philly has one of the best in the world!), art museums, collect original art and antiques (my home is a 120 year old Victorian with 3 stories, 3 fireplaces, stained glass windows, etc.) I travel to exotic destinations (Sri Lanka, Tibet, Peru, Oman, Samoa, Iceland, Argentina, Myanmar, Morocco, etc.)

Most people you cannot generalize or 'pigeon-hole'. I guess we all have elements of two or more classes and socio-economic statuses in us.
yeah in terms of travel, I love getting off the beaten path when traveling domestically and visiting local places, but for the rest of the world I'd mainly like to stick to the touristy spots. I actually am not interested in visiting most of the world except for parts of Europe, Mexico, the Caribbean, Australia, New Zealand, China (where my ancestry comes from) and Israel (to see the Christian sites). Never had a desire to go to "exotic" places like India or South America at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.