U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 02:57 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,782,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't see any defensiveness in my post. Just pointing out that you changed the phrase. I think that's important because the phrase you use might mean different things to different people.

^That was my answer to your question. Many people don't take "middle America" to mean "average." There certainly is a geographic element that others might see here. My point was that your phrasing is kind of confusing.

That's the answer. Not sure what you're asking if that's not the information you were looking for.

I'm honored to know that you follow my posts so closely that you know when I get "defensive." Basically its anytime I disagree with someone. I guess I'm supposed to just follow the masses. My bad.
well you have argued with me before and then you write this.... nuff' said.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 03:03 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.

Well, if they say so. As in most of these quizzes, there are a lot of huhs and hms. It starts out with my dad being a blue collar worker, and I have always had low level white collar office jobs. But I have also worked waiting tables and my sister worked in a factory. Both of us are college grads. How do I come out as upper middle class? Would she be the same?

Old 03-31-2016, 03:14 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,972,200 times
You got 23 points.

The higher your score, the thinner your bubble. The lower, the more insulated you might be from mainstream American culture.

See below for scores Charles Murray would expect you to get based on the following descriptions.

4899: A lifelong resident of a working-class neighborhood with average television and movie going habits. Typical: 77.

42100: A first-generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and movie going habits. Typical: 66.

1180: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.

043: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.

020: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person with the television and movie going habits of the upper middle class. Typical: 2.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:30 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,953 times
I got 23 points. Pretty accurate.

0–20: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person with the television and movie going habits of the upper middle class.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:33 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,527,009 times
48–99: A lifelong resident of a working-class neighborhood with average television and movie going habits. Typical: 77.

I do want to say, I was raised in a working class neighborhood and moved out at 22 in 1987. After that, for the most part, I've lived in middle class neighborhoods. But the question asked "have you EVER lived at least a year........". Just a clarification that the above score description says "a lifelong resident" which isn't true in my case. Interesting test.

I got a 53

Old 03-31-2016, 03:52 PM

378 posts, read 355,061 times
I got 41 and I live in Michigan. I served in the Army, so from that I gained several points.

It has been a long time since I have lived in the South and perhaps it has changed, but the culture that they are implying to be "Middle America" seems closer to being the culture of Southern America.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:59 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,252,205 times
Got a 25. I will be honest, I had to look up some of these stuff, and I could not tell if a business owner was managerial or not, so I went with it not being one, to be safe. I think part of the reason I scored so high was because I used to wait at restaurants during the summers in college for fun and once felt too bad to quit at the end of summer. Also, because I briefly ran away on a Greyhound after high school.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:13 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,566,342 times
This is really poor questionnaire by pbs, Charles murrays books are about power zips and the people who live in them and their disconnect from reality and racial and economic issues. Doesnt it strange to people that power continues to be concentrated in fewer and fewer places, places like nyc and the bay area and the suburbs around dc which are now the richest in the country.

this is what he is talking about , not about the average tv habits of middle america or so called flyover country. It is about how power is increasingly becoming concentrated in fewer and fewer areas, this is from a very good article in the atlantic

Why the Economic Fates of America’s Cities Diverged

Places like St. Louis and New York City were once similarly prosperous. Then, 30 years ago, the United States turned its back on the policies that had been encouraging parity.

In 1966, the average per-capita income of greater Cedar Rapids, Iowa, was only $87 less than that of New York City and its suburbs. Ranked among the country’s top 25 richest metro areas in the mid-1960s were Rockford, Illinois; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Ann Arbor, Michigan; Des Moines, Iowa; and Cleveland, Ohio.

According to data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis, in 1978, per capita income in metro Detroit was virtually identical to that in the metro New York area. Today, metro New York’s per-capita income is 38 percent higher than metro Detroit’s

The Per-capita income in New York City was 172 percent above the national average in 2013.

1980, the per-capita income of Washington, D.C., was 29 percent above the average for Americans as a whole; by 2013 it had risen to 68 percent above. In the San Francisco Bay area, the rise was from 50 percent above to 88 percent.

Why the Economic Fates of America

Old 03-31-2016, 04:17 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,679,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
well you have argued with me before and then you write this.... nuff' said.
Glad we talked.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:32 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,346,948 times
C. Murray has a n extremely limited idea of what constitutes "mainstream" IMO. His conservative biases make this whole quiz beyond silly on so many levels it's hard to know where to start. What it comes down to for him is that you are "mainstream" if you are a working class, apolitical, not-very-educated beer guzzler with a union card, sore feet, and a taste for NASCAR and action movies.

Not only is that a pretty narrow view of the mainstream, it's an insult to ALL Americans who don't fit his stupid stereotypes.

Last edited by citylove101; 03-31-2016 at 05:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.