U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 10:02 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,802,443 times

Advertisements

Got a 50. Don't watch those TV shows, never watched Ellen, and haven't seen the movies. Waiting tables and bartending, plus landscaping 'added?' to my score. Working in small towns in the country 'added?' to my score as well, although Lexington MA (radars) and Oak Ridge TN (nukes) and Iuka MS (rocket motors) may not be what they had in mind. Well, maybe Iuka...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 11:04 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,159,395 times
Got 18. I didn't know "mainstream American culture" is defined by eating at IHOP and knowing who a rando Nascar driver is.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:37 AM

13,222 posts, read 17,963,194 times
I got a 50. I'm perfectly normal.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:16 AM

8,729 posts, read 7,686,254 times
What would be more interesting is to see how the people in the top quintile of "mainstream American culture" points would do in naming US presidents (and their general era in which they lived), identifying US states/European countries, naming just a few elements from the periodic table, explaining in the most basic terms what credit and interest are, recognizing (not even naming) the most famous works of Beethoven or Mozart, being able to name a novel by Mark Twain or George Orwell, or simply stating what religion the Dalai Lama, the Pope, or Gandhi are (were) a part of.

It's true, I haven't been to an Applebees in the last year, so this stuff might be what these people are discussing. Though from the other questions, it seems that it's likely NASCAR or the military. Would just be fun to find out.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:08 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,428,775 times
I got a 56.

32 year old Latino/White male. Married w/children. Top 15% of households.

Grew up in the barrio. Working-class parents. Have lived in houses in average or worse areas, and in apartments in poor, middle, and upper-middle class areas. Have lived in major cities, suburban cities, and a fairly isolated town of 25K. Lived in 3 different states, all in the West. Worked in blue-collar jobs or industries my entire working career.

I watch nearly zero episodic fictional network television. Rarely watch blockbuster movies. I hate Applebee's in general, worked at Denny's for six years (still check them out on occasion), and support my wife's Chili's guilty pleasure. I don't watch NASCAR, but follow the 4 major sports. Fiscal conservative. Moderately left-of-center socially. Not a veteran. Agnostic.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:09 AM

6,501 posts, read 4,082,513 times
I didn't even start the quiz because I have no way of knowing which of my "50 nearest neighbors" have college degrees and which do not. How would I know that? I'm pretty sure almost none of my neighbors know that I have a degree and my husband does not, and we've been here 20 years.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:20 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,428,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I didn't even start the quiz because I have no way of knowing which of my "50 nearest neighbors" have college degrees and which do not. How would I know that? I'm pretty sure almost none of my neighbors know that I have a degree and my husband does not, and we've been here 20 years.
Tend to be more affluent areas. Either well-to-do families, or an over-presence of yuppies and the things they like.

Quiz is asking for 50%, which is actually double the average.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:44 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,541,684 times
Looks like I'm the biggest elitist here. I got a 12. I went to IHOP last weekend, have been in parades and have watched some movies where things explode, but that's about it. Oh, yeah, I knew the insignia for a two-star general.

But yeah, it's weird that PBS partnered with known white supremacist Charles Murray on this. (If you're unaware, Murray first got national attention in the '90s when he proposed that the reason black people have trouble getting ahead in America is simply that they're stupider than white people.)

The quiz generally promotes tired and offensive "real America" myths. It's all the real America. The best example is where you presumably get docked points for never living outside a metro area. More than 80 percent of Americans live in urban areas. So it's rural living that's outside of the mainstream, even though "real America" mythology says the opposite.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:01 AM

6,501 posts, read 4,082,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Tend to be more affluent areas. Either well-to-do families, or an over-presence of yuppies and the things they like.

Quiz is asking for 50%, which is actually double the average.
I get the reason, and I could guess at the answer, but that would still be assuming--not knowing.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:00 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,900,302 times
I got 67 points. I'm in my mid 20's. I'm not really sure what this quiz is trying to say though. The description is somewhat accurate. I grew up pretty rural so maybe that is it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.