U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 10:25 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times

Advertisements

This quiz is age and gender biased. If you are older and attempted to answer the question about working or even being in a factory your answer will be different if you were a young woman in the 50's and 60's than later on.

During that time, women did not work in factories very often. They weren't allowed to. Most factory workers were unionized and unions were bastions of good 'ole boy networks. Women's equivalents might have been pink collar workers like waitresses, sales clerks or beauticians. The question more fairly asked would have been something like "Were you a blue or pink collar worker?"

And really, what difference would it make? During the 70's my sister put her way through college by working in a non-union factory assembling paint brushes. She got her teaching degree that way. So what category would they put her in?

I have two college degrees. My dad was a blue collar worker all his life. I grew up and have always lived in lower to middle, middle class neighborhoods. I grew up on listening to symphonies and popular music. As an adult I like bluegrass and jazz. I like Applebee's. I've done theater and enjoy sitcoms.

I am not fond of PBS. Bunch of snobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 02:15 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,781,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I got 67 points. I'm in my mid 20's. I'm not really sure what this quiz is trying to say though. The description is somewhat accurate. I grew up pretty rural so maybe that is it.
It's not really saying anything other than the read outs. There is no "right" or "good" score. I just thought it was interesting so I shared it.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:29 PM

510 posts, read 339,825 times
I got a 22 which is second gen upper middle class. Which makes sense (private school education, college, travel etc.) Although I think your age can definitely skew these numbers, especially living around college educated people (who may have not been the majority in say the 1960s, but the quality of life of the town would have been on par with a college educated town today). Also if you grew up in the Northeast you may have had very little exposure to Evangelicals and having close friend who is one is statistically unlikely.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:54 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,462,079 times
When I took the quiz, I thought it seemed kind of biased and stereotyped. Then I read the explanations, and that confirmed it for me even more.

The first few questions about educational attainment in your neighborhood, and experiencing near-poverty, are decent points. Then, it just started to go downhill. Some snippets:

-The author seems to think that the only reason people don't letter in sports is because they're elitists who don't care about sports. Um...what about being unathletic, or good at other things? No, that makes too much sense...

-The author did not include Chipotle in his list of restaurants, despite it being in the top 10, because "Chipotle is to sit-down dining as Whole Foods is to grocery stores." For reals. This might not be verbatim, but it's pretty close to what he said. I know the Whole Foods comparison is in there. Yes, he said this, for reals. Has the author ever even been to Chipotle?

-According to the author, upper-middle class people only need pickup trucks to go to their cabins in Montana. I'm also not making this up. Does the author really think that most pickup owners actually use their trucks for the purposes intended, most of the time, and not just because they think that pickup trucks are awesome?

-Also according to the author, not stocking one's refrigerator with cheap beer must mean that they're a craft-beer enthusiast. Um...maybe they don't drink beer?

This quiz just relies on bad stereotypes from the author.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:47 AM

650 posts, read 603,382 times
I got 44 but I think the quiz is dumb. I guess you get points deducted because I don't like certain tv shows or someone didn't get higher than C's that i know, or that I know people who smoke or that if you didn't letter in hs you are low class or something, or if you know people who didn't go to college.

The quiz is very stereotyped. None of that means anything toward if someone is middle class or upper class or whatever.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:09 AM

935 posts, read 1,056,196 times
72. Pretty accurate description.

I took it not as a good/bad quiz but a how much exposure have you had to the majority of Americans. What constitutes the majority will always be in flux so this quiz is random at best. From my experience the questions were pretty relevant for my rural mid to low class region.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:37 AM

1,112 posts, read 694,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Well, it's not about "Middle America" but rather "Mainstream America."

I got a 36.
Me too. It said I was "upper middle-class," which I'm certainly not. At least not right now. It asked how often last year I went to Applebee's, Denny's TGI Friday's etc. Probably thinks I'm an upper middle class elitist because there are other types of restaurants nearby that I like to go to (a put a lot number for some, zero for others). If Chipotle was an option, there would be a higher number. There's one of those nearby.

We were originally poor, but my parents worked their way up to middle class. In low to middle class neighborhoods I've always lived.

This quiz does focuses more on the lives of rural poor than urban poor people, which affects the accuracy of these questions.

Last edited by ialmostforgot; 04-02-2016 at 07:11 AM..

Old 04-02-2016, 07:49 AM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
I scored a 23 which appears to be spot on.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:04 AM

2,779 posts, read 6,684,676 times
i got 60 which is about right

Old 04-02-2016, 10:10 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
One question that made me laugh out loud was "Have you ever been friends with an Evangelical?"

When I lived in Portland I had a best friend who was a born again Christian. I was raised Jewish although I consider myself atheist now. She and I were best friends until she relocated to another city. Neither tried to push our beliefs on the other although we did share ideas from time to time.

So what's that question supposed to even mean? To me, this quiz is biased in that it reflects stereotyping of people falling into categories in neat little lines with no room for overlapping.

I doubt in anyone takes these types of things seriously other than the people who make them up and others who believe they accomplish something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.