U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 04:10 AM

6,522 posts, read 7,474,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I got a 52 but like others, I think it's a poor quality "test." For instance, I grew up in a middle class (some would say upper middle class but not wealthy) household and I went to college but I had a very traumatic experience and as a result of that out of the ordinary experience, I made some really terrible choices that resulted in me being dirt poor, living in a crappy neighborhood, and fulfilling several of the "working class" criteria even though my situation was out of the norm for me and only lasted about four years.

I think lots of the questions are so broad (and so biased) that they can't possibly give an accurate read on most people.

Oh, and do I know any Evangelicals? My gosh, I live in the South. I couldn't throw a cat out my front door without hitting an Evangelical - in my very nice neighborhood. What whoever rigged up this "test" apparently doesn't realize is that many upper crust Southerners - the old money elitists in fact - are Evangelicals. At least they're members of Evangelical churches. Even the debutantes and Homecoming Queens and football team captains and the President of the city's Economical Development Council and the local business owner who employs 300 people and who has a sandwich named after him downtown in the trendy new bistro.

Anyway, whoever wrote this also apparently doesn't realize that many very wealthy, old money folks in Texas drive pickup trucks that cost as much as some houses. Just because they want to. Everything's bigger in Texas - even the parking spaces.

Oh well, it was a silly, pretentious little test but at least it was free.

I agree its a strange test. I live in the South, know many evangelicals and am a church going Christian myself. I also live in a rural area, and have lived in rural areas most of my life. I am not sure why this makes me more "middle America" than people living in an urban area in the Midwest but according to the test it does. Also the questions about factories and working class jobs are a bit misleading too. For example some so called "blue collar" jobs pay far better than many white collar ones. A GM worker for example makes an outlandish wage(most of them in the Midwest) or someone working on an oil rig in the gulf also makes big money. They are blue collar but earn an upper middle class wage. In todays economy you have well educated young people who are cultured an urban, but in spite of this they are dirt poor. How do they fit in?? Nothing is as black and white as this quiz assumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 05:58 AM

4,634 posts, read 2,787,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree its a strange test. I live in the South, know many evangelicals and am a church going Christian myself. I also live in a rural area, and have lived in rural areas most of my life. I am not sure why this makes me more "middle America" than people living in an urban area in the Midwest but according to the test it does.
This concept seems to be hard for people to grasp... It is more "Middle America" because their is more people in this country that fit that description, it is average.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:34 AM

573 posts, read 392,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

I scored a 64. I'm solidly in mainstream America.

Now I want to read the book “Coming Apart: The State of White America 1960-2010.” --But that would be a thoroughly un-mainstream American thing to do. People in mainstream America only read Bibles and trashy romance novels. Just visit the book section of any Wal-Mart to verify this. It's a cultural wasteland.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:12 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,419,657 times
Scored 15 -- I grew up and also now live in an 'elite' zip code (see the zip code definitions in the table attached to the survey), but in smaller cities not in large metro cities.

I think this test should be weighted by age, as some of the items (like the fraternal societies and some of the TV questions) would be affected by the age of the respondent.

Also, Charles Murray has consistently rebuked the attacks on him back in the 1990s (The Bell Curve debacle). I do not think he is a hateful person, but as a sociologist who talks about race and class, he is frequently rattling a lot of sensitive china.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:33 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,215,773 times
I got 35. That was roughly correct.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:43 AM

10,559 posts, read 13,133,007 times
26 for me.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:12 PM

2,037 posts, read 4,559,773 times
I got 33. Probably not watching TV shows lowered my score some.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:42 PM

10,559 posts, read 13,133,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Me too, we watch almost no tv.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:51 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,685,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Me too, we watch almost no tv.
So I watch a lot of TV and my score was also in the low 30's. I'm just not getting this quiz.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:42 PM

44,953 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
I scored a 64. I'm solidly in mainstream America.

Now I want to read the book “Coming Apart: The State of White America 1960-2010.” --But that would be a thoroughly un-mainstream American thing to do. People in mainstream America only read Bibles and trashy romance novels. Just visit the book section of any Wal-Mart to verify this. It's a cultural wasteland.
But ..... one must actually GO to WalMart to do this. I scored a 52 and yet I simply can't bring myself to darken the doors of WalMart.

I order my bibles and trashy romance novels from Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.