U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:31 PM

9,471 posts, read 5,272,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
In my opinion, the older you are the higher the score you will probably get.
I'm 66. And as I said, I got 19.

The restaurant question bugged me because I have nothing against chain restaurants. It's just that where I live there are lots of locally-owned restaurants that I would rather patronize. I want to support our locally-owned small businesses. It's important to me to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 06:36 AM

44,989 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Of course there will be exceptions to the rule, but generally speaking, the older you are, the more likely you are to "amass" experiences - for instance, owning a truck. If I'd taken this test 20 years ago (when I was in my thirties) my score would have been significantly lower. And the funny thing is, I was DEFINITELY middle class then, and now, frankly, my husband and I are significantly better off - shall I just say we are in a much higher tax bracket...

We both have some working class years under our belt though - and we're glad we experienced all that because it helps us appreciate what we have now, and it also helps us realize that if we lost it, we'd be OK too.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:38 AM

4,634 posts, read 2,787,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

The restaurant question bugged me because I have nothing against chain restaurants. It's just that where I live there are lots of locally-owned restaurants that I would rather patronize. I want to support our locally-owned small businesses. It's important to me to do that.
Yeah I understand. I was going to ask you, if you felt like it was too low or too high? As more people respond, I would say that I was wrong to make that assumption before.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:58 AM

9,859 posts, read 21,155,925 times
I got a 38

Old 04-07-2016, 02:43 PM

2,669 posts, read 1,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

I'm with you on that, though there are times when traveling, or busy with something else in an unfamiliar area, and you are hungry, and just want to eat something and get on with what you're doing. I've found those are the worst times to try some local joint you never heard of.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:02 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,685,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Of course there will be exceptions to the rule, but generally speaking, the older you are, the more likely you are to "amass" experiences - for instance, owning a truck. If I'd taken this test 20 years ago (when I was in my thirties) my score would have been significantly lower. And the funny thing is, I was DEFINITELY middle class then, and now, frankly, my husband and I are significantly better off - shall I just say we are in a much higher tax bracket...

We both have some working class years under our belt though - and we're glad we experienced all that because it helps us appreciate what we have now, and it also helps us realize that if we lost it, we'd be OK too.
I definitely saw the age thing too. When I was younger I never watched TV because I didn't have the time. After I retired, I had more time on my hands so I did. And I go to cheaper restaurants now as opposed to the more expensive ones I used to patronize because I am on a fixed income and can't afford the higher priced ones.

Still have the college degrees, still consider myself the same part of Middle America as always.

Again, silly quizz, very inaccurate.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:04 PM

2,669 posts, read 1,983,013 times
My take,
It seems that the higher your score, the more in touch you may be to a broader spectrum of the populace.
A lower score, you are probably more insulated from some spectrum or another.

Getting wrapped up in a few specific questions is probably a waste of time.

For instance #1, some people said they have no idea how many of their neighbors had college degrees and how many did not. Well, There is one big-a** bubble, right there. Most of the places I've lived, I got to know enough about the neighbors to have a pretty good idea what kind of education they had, and what sort of work they were into.

Chances are, the more educated your neighbors are, the more insulated they get.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:24 AM

3,035 posts, read 2,466,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
My take,
It seems that the higher your score, the more in touch you may be to a broader spectrum of the populace.
A lower score, you are probably more insulated from some spectrum or another.

Getting wrapped up in a few specific questions is probably a waste of time.

For instance #1, some people said they have no idea how many of their neighbors had college degrees and how many did not. Well, There is one big-a** bubble, right there. Most of the places I've lived, I got to know enough about the neighbors to have a pretty good idea what kind of education they had, and what sort of work they were into.

Chances are, the more educated your neighbors are, the more insulated they get.
There are ways to test whether more educated neighborhoods are more insulated across a broad spectrum. That isn't the problem with this quiz.

The problem is how to define "middle America." Some of the questions listed are niche hobbies (like NASCAR) that may be correlated with rural white working class middle America, but aren't necessarily good indicators. Another way to put it - I'd say that a person who is familiar with NASCAR and opera is less insulated than somebody familiar with neither, but because the former is considered a working class interest and the latter an upper class interest, the quiz would score them the same.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:39 AM

44,989 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

The problem is how to define "middle America." Some of the questions listed are niche hobbies (like NASCAR) that may be correlated with rural white working class middle America, but aren't necessarily good indicators. Another way to put it - I'd say that a person who is familiar with NASCAR and opera is less insulated than somebody familiar with neither, but because the former is considered a working class interest and the latter an upper class interest, the quiz would score them the same.
Right - and yet, the quiz doesn't ask about opera - or many other "high brow" or upper class hobbies and interests from what I recall.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:30 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,685,445 times
So here we go again with the stereotyping of this test. I come from a working class family. Dad was blue collar mom was a typist. We enjoyed opera, symphonies and ballets when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's. When did these become relegated to upper class tastes only? When the tickets became too expensive for lower income people?

Now that I am an old lady, I can join up with senior citizens groups that take us old geezers to opera, symphonies and ballets, the so-called "high brow" events for free or very cheap. People of all classes go. All ethnic groups. All colors.

As a balance I never went to a NASCAR race but I did go to major league ball games.

This test is all about the money not the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.