U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 10:55 AM

350 posts, read 465,957 times

Advertisements

Some cities have crime that is very much confined to very specific areas, so if you avoid the bad areas, crime is almost non-existent. Other cities have crime that is more widespread across the metro area, even if you are in one of the nice areas, it's only a matter of time until you or someone you know is a victim. You might have a city of the first type and a city of the second type that have the same crime average, but those numbers/statistics are misleading. I'd say an example of the second type is the Baltimore area. There's obviously the incredibly dangerous bad areas, but even the nice and wealthy areas, including the suburbs, have sporadic robberies, home invasions, murders, etc. You have bleed-over. The criminals prey on the nearby areas.

What are cities that you've lived in that are examples of the two types?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 11:14 AM

7,694 posts, read 4,551,558 times
Chicago is mostly isolated crime. It's definitely concentrated on the south and west sides.

Richmond's premier neighborhoods, The Fan and Museum Districts see a fair bit of crime spill over.

Last edited by gladhands; 04-01-2016 at 11:45 AM..

Old 04-01-2016, 11:17 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
Some cities have crime that is very much confined to very specific areas, so if you avoid the bad areas, crime is almost non-existent. Other cities have crime that is more widespread across the metro area, even if you are in one of the nice areas, it's only a matter of time until you or someone you know is a victim. You might have a city of the first type and a city of the second type that have the same crime average, but those numbers/statistics are misleading. I'd say an example of the second type is the Baltimore area. There's obviously the incredibly dangerous bad areas, but even the nice and wealthy areas, including the suburbs, have sporadic robberies, home invasions, murders, etc. You have bleed-over. The criminals prey on the nearby areas.
That is incorrect. Howard County is one of the safest and most affluent places in America. Lots of million dollar+ homes in suburbs filled with college-educated professionals. Crime in the Baltimore metro area is very isolated.

I can't think of any metro area in America where crime is widespread throughout.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Chicago is mostly isolated crime. I'm It's definitely concentrated on the south and west sides.

Richmond's premier neighborhoods, The Fan and Museum Districts see a fair bit of crime spill over.
Hi Gladhands, I agree with your post. I used to live in Chicago and was worried when I first moved there. The northern neighborhood where I lived was very safe. I'm from Hampton Roads and spend a lot of time in Richmond. I've heard from relatives that spillover crime happens quite a bit in the Fan and Carytown. Really unfortunate, I really like Richmond.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That is incorrect. Howard County is one of the safest and most affluent places in America. Lots of million dollar+ homes in suburbs filled with college-educated professionals. Crime in the Baltimore metro area is very isolated.

I can't think of any metro area in America where crime is widespread throughout.
I currently live in the DC area and have explored/researched Howard county/ Columbia for a potential place to raise kids. I'm aware of it being affluent and "safe for the region", but spill over crime from Baltimore, Laurel, Prince George's county most definitely happens there. People I know who live there talk about how it's weird that it's a suburb (with 400k+ townhouses and 600k+ SFHs) where you have to keep your guard up and it has the crime of a city. There are incidents that happen in those pretty wooded walk paths between "villages". I find it strange that it has the level of crime that it does despite the number of NSA, FBI, etc living there. Contrast that to the neighborhood I lived in Portland, Oregon where if I'd laid down on any sidewalk, I would've had absolutely no worries.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:

By the way, I was mainly referring to the wealthy neighborhoods in Baltimore, but from what I understand the suburbs, even the ones that try to wall themselves off with extreme wealth and patrolling police cars, have their share of violent crime incidents as well.

Last edited by VASpaceMan; 04-01-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 04-01-2016, 12:16 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
By the way, I was mainly referring to the wealthy neighborhoods in Baltimore, but from what I understand the suburbs, even the ones that try to wall themselves off with extreme wealth and patrolling police cars, have their share of violent crime incidents as well.
They do?

Old 04-01-2016, 12:17 PM

7,738 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Most of the Baltimore area is safe. The areas outside of the city with the most problems would be Woodlawn, Randalltown, Owings Mills at one time, but that has died down. Columbia is a safe town. Baltimore metro has some of the best town in the country like Columbia or Ellicot City, no so, crime isn't wide spread. What does happen is isolated incidents within those towns, that have nothing to do with the people in the city, but are generally very safe. Those isolated incidents likely come from some teenage upper middle class punks with too much free time. Hell, the hooligans in the city rarely leave their side own town, let alone deep into the suburbs.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:21 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,341,777 times
Quote:

Very much agree with this. There are calm and safe neighborhoods in Baltimore City (let alone the metro area), Detroit, Newark, Oakland CA, St. Louis, etc, where crime--at least violent crime--isn't much of a day-to-day worry. There are reasons any individual may choose not live in these cities, but not doing so because they are "crime-ridden" definitely reflects ignorance of neighborhood realities, and too often racial prejudice IMO.

By far, the neighborhoods that tend to be most dangerous are high-poverty neighborhoods with a heavy gang presence. But gangs by their nature are territorial--meaning that they don't seek out an entire city--at least not any city of substantial size. And poverty is fairly isolated in US cities. You always know where the "bad" neighborhoods are. I certainly did when I lived (crime-free and happy) in Detroit many years ago, my friends in Newark know where not to go, and so do my relatives in Baltimore, Atlanta, DC, and Chicago.

Last edited by citylove101; 04-01-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 12:53 PM

Here's is a map of robberies, burglaries, thefts, and other crimes in affluent Howard County:
http://www.spotcrime.com/md/howard+county

I'm not trying to bash the Baltimore area. I'm fond of Baltimore, there's many things to love about Baltimore. It definitely deserves it's nickname of Charm City. The people are friendly and down to earth. The historical neighborhoods, the harbor and boats. It's history. The artists, the musicians and creativity. It's quirkiness and personality which many North American cities lack. It has an incredible amount of potential. I was looking at Baltimore and it's suburbs as an alternative to Northern Virginia and it's sterility, unfriendliness, lack of creativity. It reminds me of a big brother of Richmond, which I also like.

I didn't mean for this thread to get derailed, it isn't supposed to be about Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or