U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:47 AM

7,702 posts, read 4,557,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Minneapolis. Before people visit - 'it's too cold!!!! Cow town. Is it in Michigan? How do you live with the cold? You talk funny!'

Honestly I meet 2 types of people when I travel and tell them where I live...the reaction above or a sincere admiration for the area if they've ever visited.
It's a lovely city, but it is too cold for a lot of people. I grew up in NYC, and had been living for Chicago for three years, the first time I visited Minneapolis in the winter, so I thought I was a cold-tolerance tough-guy. I was FLOORED at how cold it was. Granted, it may have been a historic cold spell, but I was not prepared for that cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 07:51 AM

17,235 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Basically everywhere.
This.

In the larger cities and metro areas, many people don't even know a lot of things about their own.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:22 AM

311 posts, read 218,408 times
Philadelphia, negative before the visit or experience the city, generally positive afterwards.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:34 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
This is city-data people have an opinion about everywhere without being there.
It's not only CD though. When I lived in Portland and told people I was from Chicago, I got all sorts of opinions of Chicago from people who had never been there. When I told people in Portland I was moving to Cleveland, I got lots of opinions about Cleveland from those who had never been there. Now that I am in Cleveland, often when I tell people I have just moved from Portland I get opinions from people about Portland who have never been there.

These second hand opinions come from Social Media, TV and the news from any source. It never ceases to amaze me how much people are willing to believe through hearsay. They rattle on chapter and verse as if it were first hand knowledge. The first thing I ask someone who starts telling me about a place is, "When were you there?"

If they can't answer, I tell them I'm not listening.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:09 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,699,747 times
Phoenix. PHOENIX.PHOENIX and then Phoenix.
I also think Miami, Houston, Kansas City, and basically any rustbelt city.
Portland is a city that seems to loose a lot of debates on here, and it's not as talked about. It's an extremely urban and walkable city, but it doesn't have an international name like SF and Seattle. Makes me think a lot of posters haven't been there before.
Austin, and Denver are cities that people praise on here...and I don't think many have even been.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:22 AM

3,959 posts, read 3,489,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Portland is a city that seems to loose a lot of debates on here, and it's not as talked about. It's an extremely urban and walkable city, but it doesn't have an international name like SF and Seattle. Makes me think a lot of posters haven't been there before.
Austin, and Denver are cities that people praise on here...and I don't think many have even been.

I agree,

I'd say any of the rising cities in the south that weren't megacities during the industrial revolution, tend to have the most opinion based rhetoric pushed about them. Not at all coincidental the largest detractors tend to be from the elitist cities that aren't growing as fast. You'd think they were all void of urbanity suburban wastelands, where you hit the nearest drive thru for fine dining, and all the residents can't hold back tears of eminent joy when they see pictures of Jesus.

The hyperbole is mind numbing.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:47 AM

8,965 posts, read 4,103,404 times
Quote:
Portland is one of the most beloved cities on City-Data. It's hardly underrated in my opinion. Of course it loses to Seattle and San Francisco, but it usually wins against Austin and Denver. San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Denver, and Austin all belong to the same family of hip and sexy cities.

One thing that is true is certain cities have the stereotypes and perceptions for a reason. On City-Data, many times these become exaggerated but a lot of time there is at least some truth to the perception. This definitely applies to cities like Phoenix, Detroit, Kansas City, OKC, Memphis, etc that have negative perceptions.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:50 AM

17,235 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
I have not been to Portland, but extremely urban and walkable? Like Pittsburgh or something?

I'd like to see that.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:22 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have not been to Portland, but extremely urban and walkable? Like Pittsburgh or something?

I'd like to see that.
yeah I would venture to say it's even more urban/walkable than Pittsburgh as a whole.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZjKEjbBN7HM2
https://goo.gl/maps/6Zy9qZetuR62
https://goo.gl/maps/tBxjE7b5Css
https://goo.gl/maps/BDek5qkSmsH2

Old 04-04-2016, 12:41 PM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Florida. It gets endlessly dissed on C-D without people comparing it to other Southern states, which are often in far worse shape than Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or