U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:11 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,246,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I think his opinion isn't that far off...
How is Denver like San Francisco? I'm sure there are many that find LA sexy, hip, and cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 11:51 PM

73 posts, read 67,513 times
Miami and Los Angeles

Old 04-06-2016, 12:11 AM

12,352 posts, read 7,536,589 times
I'm going to cite Boston and Detroit -- not so much for failing to visit them, but for failing to recognize the huge changes in the social structure of the two cities over the past century.

I'd recommend Anthony Lukas' Common Ground, and Robert Conot's American Odyssey as more accurate depictions.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:18 AM

7,747 posts, read 4,602,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
How is Denver like San Francisco? I'm sure there are many that find LA sexy, hip, and cool.
Whenever I see Seattle, San Francisco, Denver and Minneapolis grouped, I suspect the unspoken commonality is small black population.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:11 AM

8,791 posts, read 7,732,168 times
Almost all of them.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:46 AM

2,702 posts, read 996,554 times
NYC. So many little C-Ders are wannabe NYC residents who get hard-ons for "urbanity" and rush to defend the city at any criticism or comparison where it doesn't win. I would also say Southern cities, Miami, and Minneapolis (I would hazard a guess that Minny is #1 for receiving strong criticism yet is least visited by its critics).

Old 04-06-2016, 09:06 AM

12,476 posts, read 11,975,150 times
I try and only opine on the cities that I have either lived in or spent extensive time in. This pretty much limits me to Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Pittsburgh, and Detroit.

I will comment on the built form of cities, however, because anyone with some time on their hands and access to Google Street View can get a passing understanding of the matter. But I find the vast majority of City versus City threads to be useless, because too few posters have experience in all of the cities in question in a given thread.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:57 AM

8,068 posts, read 16,112,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Every single city. A lot of people think that they can get a grasp on a place based off of Google Maps street view.
This!

I was going to say LA because I feel like it's the most stereotyped city ("it's one giant suburb!!") I've seen on city-data.

Many- I hesitate to say "most" because there are plenty of informed posters- use the veil of anonymity that C-D provides to pretend they're more worldly and better traveled than they really are. The good news for most of us is that we can see through that nonsense pretty easily. When someone says "food sucks in Beantown because they only have chowder, lobster and baked beans!" I know right away that they've never set foot within 100 miles of the place. When someone talks about how "all San Fran has going for it is cable cars, a bridge and alcatraz" you know they probably have never been there. It comes with the territory. Most of the time it's pretty easy to tell.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:27 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,838,223 times
Pittsburgh. I have discovered that at least half the people posting on the city threads don't even live here. They visited a cousin for a weekend once or like the Steelers and post their opinion as if they are life long residents. Almost all of the imposters give incorrect information about the current status of the city.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:06 AM

7,747 posts, read 4,602,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Pittsburgh. I have discovered that at least half the people posting on the city threads don't even live here. They visited a cousin for a weekend once or like the Steelers and post their opinion as if they are life long residents. Almost all of the imposters give incorrect information about the current status of the city.
You don't live in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or