Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 11:31 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Yeah. I get that there are so many objective indicators out there that could be explained with a number, but there are also plenty of things about cities that can only be experienced by feel. If cities were as impersonal as just the mere numbers, then what good is there to even have a discussion about them? There is no discussion.

What makes a city a city isn't the buildings, but the people who live there. If it weren't for the people, cities or states or countries would just be land with buildings on them.
I work with data and numbers a lot myself, so I actually do find detailed demographics statistics about cities interesting. I think though what isn't useful is when people use statistics alone and not personal experience to argue how cities are. You can have the Census tracking certain people of an ethnicity at a higher level, but it doesn't say anything about how the communities actually are. Like if Metro A has more of a certain ethnic group than Metro B, that's interesting, but it doesn't tell me if that ethnic population in Metro is concentrated in one area, is assimilated, or if it's a dispersed population that's mostly second or third generation only claiming that ethnicity by ancestry(I can claim Chinese on the Census if I want being half-Chinese, but I'm basically a white Canadian in terms of everything else). The only way you know is if you actually have spent a lot of time in a given city(or research first-hand accounts).

When it's a subject as subjective as best food cities, it becomes even more annoying. And I travel a lot across the US and Canada(and I've lived in Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Boston, and Portland in my lifetime), but there's no way I'd say I'm an expert on restaurants in major cities outside of the ones I've lived in and a few others I've traveled to frequently. I don't know how some people can claim to be experts on ranking every cuisine across every major metro in the US, you'd have to be on Anthony Bourdain "The Layover"-type excursions for the entire year considering how many restaurants there are in larger cities. It doesn't even take a huge ethnic population to have some great restaurants, I've had great Japanese and Italian food in places where there's no big Japanese or Italian populations--it only takes a few people to start a great restaurant.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 04-06-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 12:23 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You don't live in Pittsburgh.
Unfortunately, I do.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:43 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Detroit, Phoenix, Cleveland, Memphis, NYC, Chicago. Some are positive opinions, some are negative.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:53 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
I work with data and numbers a lot myself, so I actually do find detailed demographics statistics about cities interesting. I think though what isn't useful is when people use statistics alone and not personal experience to argue how cities are. You can have the Census tracking certain people of an ethnicity at a higher level, but it doesn't say anything about how the communities actually are. Like if Metro A has more of a certain ethnic group than Metro B, that's interesting, but it doesn't tell me if that ethnic population in Metro is concentrated in one area, is assimilated, or if it's a dispersed population that's mostly second or third generation only claiming that ethnicity by ancestry(I can claim Chinese on the Census if I want being half-Chinese, but I'm basically a white Canadian in terms of everything else). The only way you know is if you actually have spent a lot of time in a given city(or research first-hand accounts).

When it's a subject as subjective as best food cities, it becomes even more annoying. And I travel a lot across the US and Canada(and I've lived in Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Boston, and Portland in my lifetime), but there's no way I'd say I'm an expert on restaurants in major cities outside of the ones I've lived in and a few others I've traveled to frequently. I don't know how some people can claim to be experts on ranking every cuisine across every major metro in the US, you'd have to be on Anthony Bourdain "The Layover"-type excursions for the entire year considering how many restaurants there are in larger cities. It doesn't even take a huge ethnic population to have some great restaurants, I've had great Japanese and Italian food in places where there's no big Japanese or Italian populations--it only takes a few people to start a great restaurant.
I definitely agree with everything you just said. Census tracking is pretty interesting, but without any on-the-ground experience, it just becomes numbers on a page.

I just hate how certain threads, such as FOOD, turning into a census contest. Yeah, that's great that X has this many Chinese people, but how is the food there?

Just because you could have more of something doesn't mean its any good.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:30 PM

73 posts, read 90,374 times
Any city in Texas.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:34 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
It seems like Indy receives an unusually high level of hate for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.