U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:26 AM

6,514 posts, read 9,087,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL when I lived near Columbus OH it was a small city. Same with Newport News, VA, which still feels like a small city to me.

Like you, I like the amenities of smaller cities (not towns, cities). I also like being close enough for bigger venues when I want them, but without the hassle and expense of living right in the middle of a big metro area.

I'd like to visit Chicago one day. It seems like a fun city!
Haha, not sure when that was, but I won't ask you either. I've never visited Columbus, but I've driven through it, and it definitely has a big city feel to it now, I know that it's grown considerably in the last 25 years. It's larger than Austin even, which has also seen explosive growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 11:08 AM

45,173 posts, read 36,386,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Haha, not sure when that was, but I won't ask you either. I've never visited Columbus, but I've driven through it, and it definitely has a big city feel to it now, I know that it's grown considerably in the last 25 years. It's larger than Austin even, which has also seen explosive growth.
I lived there in the 1960s - so yeah it's changed a lot!

Actually, if you're talking population wise, the city of Columbus is not larger than the city of Austin. Austin has a population of about 885k and Columbus has a population of about 822k.

The metro areas are:

Austin metro: 1.25 million
Columbus metro: 1.97 million

So in that sense, the Columbus METRO area is larger in population.

Five of the top ten fastest growing metro areas in the US are in Texas, and Austin is ranked #2 in fastest growth in the US (Houston is #1).
12 Fastest Growing Metropolitan Areas in America in 2015 - Insider Monkey

That being said, I hadn't been through the cities of Ohio in years - no, decades, till a couple of years ago, when I visited my brother who lives up there. WOW, was I ever impressed! Ohio is a beautiful state and the cities I drove through were impressive. My daughter is moving up there in a few weeks (the Dayton area) and I told her to expect to be very pleasantly surprised.

My husband and I have lived just east of Dallas for decades now (he is a native Texan and I've lived here for twenty plus years). But oddly, we hadn't been in the northern reaches of that metro area (also in the top ten fastest growing) in several years. We drove up to "The Colony" just north of Dallas, still in the metro area, a few weeks ago and we had a hard time getting our bearings. Everything has just exploded up there.

There's a quaint little town that has live music and a restored down town area just a few miles up the road from us, between here and Dallas but MUCH closer to here than Dallas. It is now packed with tourists from Dallas every weekend. Also, the land between our town and Dallas, along interstate 20 and highways 31 and 64, has massively increased in price, as the suburbs of Dallas move closer...and closer...Even an hour and a half away suddenly seems almost too close for comfort. But I still think it will take awhile for things to get too close - and even if that happens, at least our property values will keep going up!

In the Dallas and Austin and Houston areas, our car GPS systems are basically useless, even with yearly upgrades, because there's so much construction and so many new highways that our GPS systems are obsolete just weeks after the updates. We just use our phones now. But in The Colony a few weeks ago, even that information was obsolete with all the brand new highways. I couldn't believe it. I didn't even recognize any of that area and it seems like I was up there just about two years ago. It was probably four but still...dang!

Old 04-05-2016, 11:19 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,147,582 times
Colorado Springs is a mid-sized city (700,000 metro). We have Denver (2.5M) an hour away and actually, aside from traffic, quite convenient.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:49 AM

4,701 posts, read 3,082,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForLaughing View Post
Smaller percentage of people who are arrogant, smug, annoying, and pretentious.
I know first-hand that it's not always true.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I know first-hand that it's not always true.
Share those firsthand experiences? I'm curious.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:21 AM

226 posts, read 168,647 times
I love small cities, and I prefer one that is at least 90 minutes away from a larger city. This is because I grew up in a suburban town that was close, but not close enough, to NYC. Everything that got built was just more housing, which made it crowded but not more livable or desirable for those already there. When I'd complain there wasn't much to do, people would say "Oh, but we have New York right here!" But it was an ordeal to get into the city, so it wasn't really right there.

In my current small city, I have a home big enough for my family of 5 but we can be downtown in 10 minutes. Sure, it will take a while for the the touring company of "Hamilton" to get here, but we have plenty of music venues, theaters, non-chain restaurants and shops. We have decent public transportation. And since there aren't really suburbs, exiting the city is quick and painless.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees46 View Post
I love small cities, and I prefer one that is at least 90 minutes away from a larger city. This is because I grew up in a suburban town that was close, but not close enough, to NYC. Everything that got built was just more housing, which made it crowded but not more livable or desirable for those already there. When I'd complain there wasn't much to do, people would say "Oh, but we have New York right here!" But it was an ordeal to get into the city, so it wasn't really right there.

In my current small city, I have a home big enough for my family of 5 but we can be downtown in 10 minutes. Sure, it will take a while for the the touring company of "Hamilton" to get here, but we have plenty of music venues, theaters, non-chain restaurants and shops. We have decent public transportation. And since there aren't really suburbs, exiting the city is quick and painless.
Exactly! This was my biggest complaint of the suburbs of larger cities! Even when I lived in the Chicago suburbs I visited the city as often as I do now, and I now live 95 miles from Chicago.

Suburbs bore me, yes they're very close to the big city, but that's mostly the older ones. Chicago has grown out so far that many suburbs are 20-40 miles from downtown, and that means it can take an hour or more to get to the city. Driving through an hour of endless suburbs is pretty mundane.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:08 PM

1,743 posts, read 962,580 times
Ability to turn left onto a street without a stoplight.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:19 PM

8,343 posts, read 9,823,119 times
Cheaper; quieter; slower pace of life; friendly, laid-back people; less lines for everything; less hassle; cleaner air; less pretentious people; less traffic; usually lower crime, less obsession with ridiculous 'pop-culture', etc.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:41 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,838,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Some other things I'd like to add to the smaller city list:

- Good healthcare options. Often people living in very rural environments or small towns do not have the best or even decent healthcare facilities. Where I live the hospital has a stage 3 ICU, which is the highest level there is, which means people get flown in by helicopter all over the area to come to this hospital.
- Generally speaking a decent small city will have ALL the same chain stores as a big city, only difference is they'll only have 1 or 2 of them, where a big city will have dozens of them and dozens of variants of them. There's only 1 Best Buy here, and 1 Macy's here, but we aren't big enough where we need 2.
- Better parking accessibility. There are a couple of parking garages that offer free parking if it's under 2 hours, and even the ones that charge are fairly cheap. Parking in NYC or Chicago is often going to be a lot more.
I was surprised to find out that Youngstown has a level I trauma unit while Erie, PA does not. You are pretty much screwed if you live in NWPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or