U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:59 PM

3,078 posts, read 2,111,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-transplant-150988 View Post
Hi,

What is the quietest and most polite city in America? I am from England and my girlfriend is from Japan and we find many of the people New York City too loud.

Examples of small things we want to avoid:
People snorting on the subway instead of using a tissue
People spitting on the street
People blasting music
People in a huge rush all the time
People throwing up in bathrooms

I work in technology and am considering the following places:
Denver
Raleigh
San Diego
Phoenix
Salt Lake City
Minneapolis

That's a broad range of differing population centers from 160k to 3 million and geographies from desert to coastal, mid-western, and high mountain. You also have a pretty short list of must haves. Surely there are more parameters to what you want out of a place to live than those 5 things? Art scene, recreation, museums, eateries, so on and so forth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 05:25 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Canada

Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,830,230 times
SLC out of the ones you listed. The Mormons are very very polite. Otherwise, try someplace like Savannah, GA.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:22 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,364,041 times
My immediate reaction is Minneapolis.... with the whole "Minnesota nice" thing. You may not be as likely to form lasting friendships, but you can rest assured people will overall be quite polite in public.

San Diego, ehhh... there are so many homeless that pervade the public transportation that I would say unless you can take the higher ground and realize that the vast majority have addiction problems or mental illness, you are going to be offended by the behavior on the trains/buses and at the stops

Old 04-05-2016, 09:39 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,364,041 times
Also, while I haven't spent much time in Denver, their homeless population is booming due to legalization of marijuana. Legal marijuana drawing homeless to Colorado - CBS News.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:28 AM

108 posts, read 63,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
That's a broad range of differing population centers from 160k to 3 million and geographies from desert to coastal, mid-western, and high mountain. You also have a pretty short list of must haves. Surely there are more parameters to what you want out of a place to live than those 5 things? Art scene, recreation, museums, eateries, so on and so forth...
I like outdoors activities such as hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, road cycling, driving on roads without traffic, scenery, nice home/apartment and cost of living lower than NYC.

My partner likes antiques, farmers markets and a neighborly area.

Theatres, concerts and museums I am happy to go to once a year on vacation. My partner goes to concerts and shows sometimes and would miss these. Other cities will have concerts too (just not as often as NYC).

Last edited by nyc-transplant-150988; 04-06-2016 at 05:52 AM..

Old 04-06-2016, 07:07 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
Suburbs of Ohio. Nicer people than the South.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:48 PM

893 posts, read 694,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-transplant-150988 View Post
Hi,

What is the quietest and most polite city in America? I am from England and my girlfriend is from Japan and we find many of the people New York City too loud.

Examples of small things we want to avoid:
People snorting on the subway instead of using a tissue
People spitting on the street
People blasting music
People in a huge rush all the time
People throwing up in bathrooms

I work in technology and am considering the following places:
Denver
Raleigh
San Diego
Phoenix
Salt Lake City
Minneapolis

Hey where in the UK do you hail from? I am a fellow brit living in Salt Lake city and may be able to help with your quest. I was born and bred in London , lived in New Zealand for a bit then back into deepest Essex for last 15 years before I moved here to SLC. You can private message me if you would prefer. Lots of pluses and minuses to the cities you mentioned above . Salt lake city downtown is very different to the suburbs where I live (Salt Lake county) and does actually have a lot going for it but it may not be a right fit out in the burbs for you as I have a couple of friends living here who have found it too quiet and have moved more into the city. There is great hiking, skiing, thaeatre, concert arts etc. However it is also not as cheap to leave here as I think most think. Its becoming a more popular place and the price of properties is on the rise . Flights are more expensive out of here but are close to some fabulous national and state parks, a 5 hour drive from Vegas and also not a million miles from California if flying.

I have always lived near the coast and so find being so far from water a real bind, even though the mountains are beautiful.

Anyway drop me a response and I maybe able to assist further :-)

Old 04-26-2016, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,935 times
Forget Phoenix. It's loud. They do not have any noise ordinances here (i.e. banning custom car mufflers, etc) and their are tons... tons of motorcycles. I moved here from Washington DC 10 years ago, and was amazed at how LOUD it is out here. While it has MANY lovely qualities, quiet isn't one of them, unless you have enough money to live in the outer suburbs or smaller cities, like North Scottsdale. One thing that is annoying here, too, is how many people let their dogs bark constantly. There is a city ordnance against it, but the process to lodge complaints and have it resolved is VERY cumbersome. You have to make the complaint, go through mediation, and then, hopefully then, it will be resolved. Most people don't have the time to deal with all the procedural crap, so they have to put up with their lazy, annoying neighbors that allow their dogs to bark all day and night. Again, Phoenix is really lovely, parts of it, and the weather is amazing... Tucson might be a better pick, as they seem to be a bit more on the progressive side (they have banned texting and driving, for example, Phoenix hasn't and it's obvious because the drivers are terrible, too...) Good luck with your quest. I hope we can move somewhere quieter once we are financially able.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:00 PM

14 posts, read 15,140 times
Absolutely not San Diego unless you're inside Saks in La Jolla. The rest of the area may have lovely weather, but behavior is disrespectful in general. My neighbor in an upscale community proudly showed off the stab wound he'd received in the Gaslamp the night before. Litter is widespread. People are so laid back they can't imagine why you'd care they're blasting music at 3:00 a.m. It's heaven if you're the life of the party. I wasn't.

Suburbs of Ohio were mentioned by a previous poster. This is true to some extent, but it's difficult to live a normal life without exiting the little bubbles. When you do, propriety goes out the window. Example: a particular neighborhood in a Columbus or Dayton suburb may meet your criteria, but you'll still need to access the airport, public spaces, entertainment venues, etc. Very small towns in Ohio's outlying areas are very quiet and home to exceedingly polite people, but most suffer economically. So, you'll have shiny new subdivisions, a few grand old restored homes, and many properties which really need to be condemned.

Just reading these forums, I gather Minneapolis and Boise may be the cleanest available overall. Good luck in your search for manners! I'm on a similar quest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.