U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 05:36 PM

3,241 posts, read 4,574,500 times

Advertisements

Remember, JoJo left his home in Tucson, AZ for some California grass.

El Paso isn't a bad place if you have a good job already lined up. IMO, there is too much reliance on Spanish here and that will limit the growth of this city.

The drivers here are awful, worst I've seen having driven in 37 states. I've never seen so many people driving while distracted or those who white knuckle the steering wheel going 10 under in the left hand lane on I-10. Driving-texting-swerving are very common things around here. And those are the native El Pasoans I'm referring to. If the car has Chihuahua plates (very common here), not only are they bad drivers, they probably don't even have insurance!

If you have pets, beware that there are a lot of puppy mills here and people do not believe in vaccinations. How are you going to try to sell a litter of puppies 3 months old and none of them have shots?

That being said, if you're not Mexican and don't speak Spanish, the people here will not alienate you or hold it against you. The people are pretty friendly for the most part

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I don't see them being much different in any of those regards, but it appears Tucson would offer more outdoor recreation given the multiple sky islands and other mountains out here. I imagine being a Tucson also being a prettier place given that.

El Paso is probably easier to find employment, however.
El Paso has a lot of outdoor activities. Biking is huge here, tons of trails to ride as well as street routes. We have the Franklin Mountains here for hiking.

El Paso is a low wage city and I think it will stay that way. There are a lot of service and retail jobs here. Not that many high paying jobs. I believe the military presence drives a lot of the economy here. Unfortunately, when the military expands and contracts, so will the spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Wages are low in both cities. They are poor metro areas. Thats important to take into consideration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The only thing that El Paso Texas can top Tucson Arizona in is its low-cost motels. So while you the weary traveler are driving through El Paso look for those low-cost Motels because that's the only thing that's going to Trump Tucson Arizona .Tucson Arizona is a much better overall cities than El Paso Texas because of the University and environment of bright young minds that they have in Tucson. + the transit is so much better. Tucson actually has light rail or at the very least street cars .Tucson Arizona is omly 100 miles from Phöenix Arizona which has NBA , NFL , NHL &
MLB & WNBA. Tucson Has a much more lively entertainment Scene as opposed to El Paso Texas.
I would take the two posts above very seriously. Closest large cities to El Paso are Tucson and Phoenix. San Antonio is actually further away despite being in the same state. Public transportation here just stinks.

I'm not even going to count any cities in NM as that's just an awful state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 06:25 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,690,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I would take the two posts above very seriously. Closest large cities to El Paso are Tucson and Phoenix. San Antonio is actually further away despite being in the same state. Public transportation here just stinks.

I'm not even going to count any cities in NM as that's just an awful state.
Albuquerque is the closest, larger city to El Paso. It's just 265 miles away. Las Cruces is a half-hour away and provides El Paso with some additional culture and things to do, such as Old Mesilla. Whatever this bizarre thing you have against New Mexico is, it does not discount the fact that people in El Paso often take advantage of what New Mexico has to offer in terms of both city amenities and natural wonders

And, as I already explained, El Paso is not behind Tucson when it comes to public transportation. El Paso is building a streetcar, and in the meantime it has BRIO, an express bus system which Tucson doesn't have. BRIO is ultimately going to be expanded to having four lines from its current two. When the El Paso streetcar opens it will actually be ahead of Tucson in public transportation.

Last edited by ABQalex; 04-06-2016 at 06:35 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 06:38 PM

9,425 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
When the El Paso streetcar opens it will actually be ahead of Tucson in public transportation.
Tucson will still likely have a better downtown/college area with more entertainment, better options for dining and retail as well. Downtown El Paso doesn't feel dead by any stretch, but downtown Tucson/4th Ave/Uof A has a much better level of vibrancy and is more conducive and interesting to walk around. That said, I hope El Paso has success with its future streetcar. Honestly, I felt the area around UTEP was as dull as dishwater. Tucson feels much more like a vibrant college town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Whatever this bizarre thing you have against New Mexico is, it does not discount the fact that people in El Paso often take advantage of what New Mexico has to offer in terms of both city amenities and natural wonders.
I agree with your statement, having New Mexico nearby really does make El Paso more attractive and certainly has more appeal than West Texas. I like Las Cruces and really dig the Organ Mountains and nearby White Sands.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:13 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,690,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Tucson will still likely have a better downtown/college area with more entertainment, better options for dining and retail as well. Downtown El Paso doesn't feel dead by any stretch, but downtown Tucson/4th Ave/Uof A has a much better level of vibrancy and is more conducive and interesting to walk around. That said, I hope El Paso has success with its future streetcar. Honestly, I felt the area around UTEP was as dull as dishwater. Tucson feels much more like a vibrant college town.
Yeah, that's because UTEP is primarily a commuter university and functions more like a community college. U of A is a larger and much more prestigious university that attracts students from all over. UTEP just cannot compete with that when it mainly attracts students from El Paso.

As far as downtowns go, El Paso actually has a good vibrancy going on. And I don't exactly agree about it being lesser in terms of retail. The shopping areas of Downtown El Paso and the crowds they draw are not to be found in Tucson.

Downtown El Paso has JC Penney and many other lesser stores such as Fallas Paredes, Dollar Tree, CVS, etc. along with many independent discount shops and clothing stores. Yeah, that's not exactly glamorous shopping, but it still makes for a lively downtown area and is a level of retail that Tucson can't even muster in its revitalized downtown.

Tucson perhaps has an edge in unique stores and boutiques, but when I live in a downtown I'd rather be able to buy my necessities for daily life rather than some unique object or funky item, so I personally value El Paso's downtown retail scene much more.

Tucson also has no answer for El Paso's incredible downtown ballpark. The Chihuahuas actually moved to El Paso from Tucson and that has left Tucson without AAA baseball. Even if people don't care about sports, there's no denying AAA baseball is a great amenity for smaller metros to have. And when it is in an incredible downtown setting like in El Paso, that's hard to beat.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:25 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
I would pick Tucson over El Paso, but certainly not because "New Mexico is an awful state".

There is awfulness in every state in the union, but there are no truly awful state in my opinion. And that said, New Mexico is a pretty amazing state, even all of its downfalls considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or