Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 02:40 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,508,020 times

Advertisements

My wife and I love to take day trips. We live in the Charlotte area. Some of our favorite day trip spots are Charleston SC (3 hrs.), Beaufort SC (3.5 hrs.), Asheville NC (1h 45m), Boone/Blowing Rock NC area (1.5 hrs.), the Blue Ridge Pkwy. between Asheville and Blowing Rock (a stunning 80 mile drive), Mt. Mitchell (along that stretch of the BRP. Highest point east of the Rockies), Lake Lure NC (1h 15m). What are some of your favorites near where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 03:23 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Lake Michigan (about an hour because of traffic), the Driftless Area (2+ hours depending on where I'm headed), and the Baraboo area (about 4 hours depending on traffic)...

Old 04-04-2016, 03:43 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Niagara Falls(2.5 hrs), the 1000 Islands(1.5 hrs), Ithaca(50 mins-1 hr), Lake Ontario/Oswego(45 mins), Finger Lakes(25 mins-2 hrs), Old Forge/western Adirondacks(1.5 hrs), Cooperstown/Baseball Hall of Fame(1.25-1.5 hrs), NYC/Philadelphia/Boston/Toronto/Montreal(about 4-4.5 hrs), etc.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:03 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,129 times
Gulf coast 3 1/2 hours away.

Savannah 2 hours away.

Blue ridge mountains.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:13 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,165 times
Great idea for a thread. One of my favorite things about living in New England in general and the Providence area specifically is the wide range of day-trip possibilities.

Day trips I've enjoyed in the past couple of years, some more than once:
  • Boston (1 hour)
  • Mystic, Connecticut (40 minutes)
  • Cape Cod (1 hour to 2.5 hours)
  • Portsmouth, New Hampshire (2 hours)
  • Amherst, Massachusetts (2 hours)
  • Hartford, Connecticut (1.5 hours)
  • Portland, Maine (2.75 hours)
  • Stonington Borough, Connecticut (40 minutes)
  • South Coast, Massachusetts (40 minutes to 1 hour)
  • Watch Hill, Rhode Island (45 minutes)
I'm considering a "day trip" anything 40 minutes or more away, and I have a personal rule about no day trips longer than two hours (though rules are made to be broken, as I did when I went to Portland). Are others really taking four-hour day trips, where you wake up, drive four hours, spend some time there, then drive four hours back home? If I were willing to do that, there'd be a lot more options -- New York City is less than three hours away if traffic is perfect, which it rarely is.

On my day-trip to-do list for spring and summer 2016:
  • Block Island (1.5 hours, including ferry ride)
  • Cape Ann (1.75 hours)
  • Northampton, Massachusetts (2 hours)
  • Plymouth, Massachusetts (1.25 hours)
  • Essex, Connecticut (1 hour)
  • Hampton Beach, New Hampshire (2 hours)

Old 04-04-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Great idea for a thread. One of my favorite things about living in New England in general and the Providence area specifically is the wide range of day-trip possibilities.

Day trips I've enjoyed in the past couple of years, some more than once:
  • Boston (1 hour)
  • Mystic, Connecticut (40 minutes)
  • Cape Cod (1 hour to 2.5 hours)
  • Portsmouth, New Hampshire (2 hours)
  • Amherst, Massachusetts (2 hours)
  • Hartford, Connecticut (1.5 hours)
  • Portland, Maine (2.75 hours)
  • Stonington Borough, Connecticut (40 minutes)
  • South Coast, Massachusetts (40 minutes to 1 hour)
  • Watch Hill, Rhode Island (45 minutes)
I'm considering a "day trip" anything 40 minutes or more away, and I have a personal rule about no day trips longer than two hours (though rules are made to be broken, as I did when I went to Portland). Are others really taking four-hour day trips, where you wake up, drive four hours, spend some time there, then drive four hours back home? If I were willing to do that, there'd be a lot more options -- New York City is less than three hours away if traffic is perfect, which it rarely is.

On my day-trip to-do list for spring and summer 2016:
  • Block Island (1.5 hours, including ferry ride)
  • Cape Ann (1.75 hours)
  • Northampton, Massachusetts (2 hours)
  • Plymouth, Massachusetts (1.25 hours)
  • Essex, Connecticut (1 hour)
  • Hampton Beach, New Hampshire (2 hours)
My in-laws live in Cape Cod (Falmouth). Great area. We will be heading up there next month........Sort of the way I see our road trips; a trip outside of our metro area, Charlotte (if I included 30-40 minutes, there would be MUCH more). The fartherest we go for a day trip is 3.5 hours to Beaufort SC. Our son is stationed there at a Marine Corps Air Station. It's a gorgeous town; like a mini-Charleston. We leave about 7:30 or so, get there at 11:00. Relaxing day visiting with him, hitting the beach, the shops downtown, harbor area, boating, kayaking. 8 hours of not feeling rushed at all. Head back home about 7:00, get home at 10:30. Totally worth it. There are still more day trips we could take within 3.0-3.5 hours in VA and TN, but the ones I mentioned are our favorites. That's what I love about the East Coast; so may things to see within a reasonable driving distance.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:04 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I think more than 2 hrs is a bit long for a day trip. Here are a few destinations within that approximate radius:

Cape May County (2.5 hr)
Philadelphia (1.5 - 2 hr)
Lehigh Valley (1.5 hr)
NJ Highlands, Delaware Water Gap (1-1.5 hr)
West Point/Harriman Park/Storm King (1 hr +)
Cold Spring, NY (1.5 hr)
Princeton (1 hr)
Port Jefferson (2 hr)
Catskills (2-2.5 hr)
Poconos (1.5-2 hr)
Shawangunks (1.5 hr)
Fire Island (2 hr)
Lambertville NJ/New Hope, PA (1.5 hr)
Lancaster, PA (2.5 hr)
Berkshires (2.5 hr)
New Haven (2 hr)
Northern shore towns (Asbury, Seaside, Pt Pleasant, Belmar, Sandy Hook, etc (1-1.5 hr)

Old 04-04-2016, 09:10 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
My wife and I love to take day trips. We live in the Charlotte area. Some of our favorite day trip spots are Charleston SC (3 hrs.), Beaufort SC (3.5 hrs.), Asheville NC (1h 45m), Boone/Blowing Rock NC area (1.5 hrs.), the Blue Ridge Pkwy. between Asheville and Blowing Rock (a stunning 80 mile drive), Mt. Mitchell (along that stretch of the BRP.
I don't consider a 3 hour drive to be a day trip.

Philadelphia is 2 hours from me, and I consider that to be a weekend trip.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't consider a 3 hour drive to be a day trip.

Philadelphia is 2 hours from me, and I consider that to be a weekend trip.
The fartherest we go for a day trip is 3.5 hours to Beaufort SC. Our son is stationed there at a Marine Corps Air Station. It's a gorgeous town; like a mini-Charleston. We leave about 7:30 or so, get there at 11:00. Relaxing day visiting with him, hitting the beach, the shops downtown, harbor area, boating, kayaking. 8 hours of not feeling rushed at all. Head back home about 7:00, get home at 10:30. Totally worth it.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:58 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
My in-laws live in Cape Cod (Falmouth). Great area. We will be heading up there next month........
I was just there last weekend! Didn't stay as long as I was hoping because it was colder than expected, but I did a little walking around the downtown, took my 6-year-old to an amazing nautical-themed playground, and drove along the waterfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.