U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:39 PM

145 posts, read 104,552 times

Advertisements

Roanoke, Virginia seems like a possibility as it seems to meet all your criteria. When you attended college in western Virginia, did you not visit Roanoke? If you did, what did you think of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 05:14 AM

19 posts, read 12,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
Roanoke, Virginia seems like a possibility as it seems to meet all your criteria. When you attended college in western Virginia, did you not visit Roanoke? If you did, what did you think of the city?
I did spend a lot of time in Roanoke, and I really liked Virginia although not enough snow for me. However, I left Virginia under very BAD circumstances and will not go back there. The 2 times I've been to North Carolina since then, terrible things have happened, so I have no desire to return to the Blue Ridge area. But thanks for the reply!

Old 04-07-2016, 06:56 AM

56,708 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Morgantown WV may be worth a look. Perhaps Athens OH and State College PA may also work for you.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:18 AM

22,729 posts, read 28,783,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Look at Bend, Oregon and Reno, Nevada.
Bend Oregon won't work only because it is an expensive place to live. OP is looking for reasonable cost of living. Also one third of the population are real estate agents, so tough to make a living selling real estate; there are too many people sharing the business.

I don't know what real estate or rent cost in Reno, but it would be easy to find out with Craigslist.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:16 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,126,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerg07 View Post
We are visiting Colorado Springs in October, so it's currently on the list. We'd rather head west. I would consider New York state, but I'm not sure my husband would, unless someone can say it fits the bill. I've done a little research on Boise and Missoula. Here is what we are looking for.
Colo Springs and Boise are quite similar. Close to mountains and a lot of recreation with reasonably mild climates. Boise is located in a valley with several rivers, so they have much more natural water than Colo Spgs, which is located in the foothills of the Rockies. However, those rivers do create a lot more humidty and heat. Colo Spgs is also locate in El Paso county, the most populous in the state of Colorado, so this is driving up prices of housing considerably. Hard to guess where it will be in 5-9 years from now. Pretty fair population difference between the three and that will drive a significant number of differences between them you may want to evaluate. Also, Missoula and Boise are home to very large state universities, whereas the colleges in COS are smaller private or satellites of larger institutions within the state.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:27 AM

19 posts, read 12,757 times
Yeah, I'm afraid Boise may be too hot and sunny for my liking. I think we'll definitely visit Boise in the next couple of years to scope it out, but I'm not finding too many other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.