U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 12:46 AM

565 posts, read 564,206 times

Advertisements

In my opinion yes! All the way! Much more diverse, higher crime, but nothing too bad, street racing culture, less concerned about the environment, less educated (by Seattle standards avg by American standards), single family homes. This is my first hand experience with living in the south Puget Sound my entire life. A lot of the examples I gave are considered undesirable but some pros might be less snobby, lower cost of living, excellent beaches.
(Federal Way, Auburn, Kent, Des Moines, Sea-Tac)
Just curious on other takes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 01:41 AM

972 posts, read 738,363 times
What exactly is street racing culture? I think the culture in the south is more "black culture". I lived in an all white community then moved to the burien area. The people at my school are into rap, saggy pants, and have that certain accent to the language they use. Somewhat dislike for white people. There also isn't a lot of white people in this area, if they are they are along the water (wealthy). The majority of white people in the south are just working class families. There's a few "scummy" white people, most are just working class families tho. There isn't a lot of white families at all tho in general. A lot of the immigrants are Hispanic, Pacific Islander, South East Asian (Non-Chinese/Japanese), African Americans, and Africans from Africa. Lots of racial "diversity" but it isn't integrated together too much. These areas aren't ghettos but they aren't exactly areas you would want to live in. Mainly because the people, it's a great location but just not a great group of people. There are great beaches but they get ruined by pot smokers, rap music too loud, or just seeing creepy people. I don't find an area in the Seattle area as considered "snobby" to me snobby is too strong of a word. I go to school in highline school district it is TERRIBLE. You don't learn anything, don't do anything but somehow I get all A. The students are crazy, and there is very little discipline. This is just my experience from living here for 2 years and spending 2 years of going to school here. I don't know how they compare to San's suburbs but I thought telling my experience of seattles would be useful.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:27 AM

565 posts, read 564,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
What exactly is street racing culture? I think the culture in the south is more "black culture". I lived in an all white community then moved to the burien area. The people at my school are into rap, saggy pants, and have that certain accent to the language they use. Somewhat dislike for white people. There also isn't a lot of white people in this area, if they are they are along the water (wealthy). The majority of white people in the south are just working class families. There's a few "scummy" white people, most are just working class families tho. There isn't a lot of white families at all tho in general. A lot of the immigrants are Hispanic, Pacific Islander, South East Asian (Non-Chinese/Japanese), African Americans, and Africans from Africa. Lots of racial "diversity" but it isn't integrated together too much. These areas aren't ghettos but they aren't exactly areas you would want to live in. Mainly because the people, it's a great location but just not a great group of people. There are great beaches but they get ruined by pot smokers, rap music too loud, or just seeing creepy people. I don't find an area in the Seattle area as considered "snobby" to me snobby is too strong of a word. I go to school in highline school district it is TERRIBLE. You don't learn anything, don't do anything but somehow I get all A. The students are crazy, and there is very little discipline. This is just my experience from living here for 2 years and spending 2 years of going to school here. I don't know how they compare to San's suburbs but I thought telling my experience of seattles would be useful.
Street racing meaning cars racing on streets, car culture. I didn't include burien, white center, or Tukwila because I feel like they have a bit of a different vibe.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:19 AM

972 posts, read 738,363 times
Hahaha that is FUNNY! I didn't even mention White Center, Burien Tukwila but that is EXACTLY where I was talking about!!! But I think you are right with your assumptions! What's your fav south sound suburb? And why? Why is nobody talking about this I think this is a cool convo!

Old 04-10-2016, 05:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,794 posts, read 54,455,776 times
The parts of the south county you mentioned remind me a bit of some of the Bay Area, like San Leandro, San Lorenzo, Union City and Hayward. None of them are anything like the L.A suburbs, though.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:01 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,196,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
In my opinion yes! All the way! Much more diverse, higher crime, but nothing too bad, street racing culture, less concerned about the environment, less educated (by Seattle standards avg by American standards), single family homes. This is my first hand experience with living in the south Puget Sound my entire life. A lot of the examples I gave are considered undesirable but some pros might be less snobby, lower cost of living, excellent beaches.
I've lived in Seattle, the Bay Area and LA. South King County still feels like Washington State IMO.

South King County has the same kind of demographics relatively speaking as the East Bay, but even there the feel is not quite the same since the East Bay is considerably more developed.

Nothing about South King really reminds me of the LA area though. Even the demographics are different.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:13 PM

5,549 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Very interesting thread. I do believe south King Co. is quite a bit different from north King Co., but I have never really looked at it very closely. There is no denying the average income is lower in south, and real estate is generally lower valued in south.

However, if you look at most metro areas in the US, you will see this kind of differential, whether it be west vs east or north vs south. This is too bad, but it is a reality.

In King Co, you have the added flavor of Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond, which is not really north or south, but east. And much of the counties wealth lands right there.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:31 PM

12,590 posts, read 15,058,526 times
Parts of Seattle are similar to the Bay area, but Seattle does not resemble LA at all! At least, not yet!
Different demographics and different levels of education.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:55 AM

5,370 posts, read 12,979,754 times
The people in the south of Seattle suburbs mind me of the people of Palmdale and Lancaster California.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:42 AM

90 posts, read 25,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Anywhere in the suburbs outside of Bellevue, Samammish, Issaquah, Redmond, and Mercer Island has more crime and less education. Not original from the Seattle area, but I've met a lot of people from the suburbs through college. The class contrast between the Eastside and Southern King County is pretty stark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or