U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 10:43 AM

15,789 posts, read 26,866,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I have never encountered the Love Bugs, but my understanding is that they exist for a week or two and then are gone. Kinda like the Gnats in CA that show up in swarms on occasion. This I know because I was born and raised in SoCal.

Had a neighbor that owned a Love Bug. Yup, painted just like Herbie with the number 53 and all. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 11:01 AM

17,687 posts, read 10,728,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Had a neighbor that owned a Love Bug. Yup, painted just like Herbie with the number 53 and all. LOL
Yeah, now that is my kind of love bug, happy to have several around my house if I could.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:16 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,753,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful_mess View Post
Nope! I lived in Florida from 1998-2014, in various cities from the panhandle to Orlando. I'm now in one of those California small towns in the Central Valley and I really feel like life was easier in Florida. Buying a house is a breeze in FL, even for the working class. The cities where I lived in Florida (especially Orlando and Gainesville) were self contained, with international airports close by and everything you could want inside the city center. In California I have to drive 3 hours round trip to get to a good airport, and if I want to go to a Trader Joe's or a specialty store I'm putting more miles on my car.

The best city I lived in FL was Gainesville. Extremely livable (I rented a 3 bedroom house for $820!), super bike friendly, walkable, HUGE beautiful tree canopy, tons of small businesses, good city planning, 1 hour from the beach on BOTH sides, great brunch scene, awesome nature trails, and a vibrant university. Stress levels also seemed low. Less people rushing from place to place to "beat the traffic." Still searching for a place with all of those positives in California.

I've never driven so much in my life or spent so much time in traffic as I have in California. That even includes when I lived in Orlando, which is a sprawling city with its own traffic problems. But in California I was inducted into a new paradigm of traffic hell - like dead still traffic for hours on major highways. In CA there are NO OTHER routes over the geography (like the Altamont pass). In Florida you have multiple roads, backroads you could take to get where you need to. Also the 99 is a road you would never see in Florida - most "freeways" in the central part of FL are converted to interstates and are maintained federally. I actually prefer the toll system in Orlando (408, 417) - the roads are extremely well maintained, well lit, and clean. Can you imagine how California roads would handle a Florida rain storm at night? The street lights are so dim in California and the roads so ill equipped for all weather than you'd hydroplane off a cliff.

The only point I agree with everyone else on is the bugs! I fled to California because of the roaches alone...*shudder*
So let's see you moved to a small podunk town in CA and you compare it to major cities in FL?

Ridiculous comparison. Gainesville is a university town, it's not the norm for Florida.

Sorry, I did way more driving in FL because everything was all over the place, CVS one way, Publix another direction. And traffic lights. My dentist was only about 3 miles from my house, it took me 20 minutes to get there. I never saw so much uncontrolled sprawl, it's like no planning or thought went into where places were built.

Here in CA I have Target, Vons, the library, and Trader Joes all within a mile or so. I can run errands here much quicker.

FL roads are designed poorly, they may be smoother in some places but they're not planned well. Southern CA has a freeways system that interconnects, granted some are need of repair, but I get around here quicker than I did in FL.

The scariest driving I ever had to do was in FL. You have Grandma Jones(of course in the left lane) doing 20 miles below the speed limit, and here comes up on your bumper a 16yr old with a full license(because FL allows that) driving their 95 Honda Civic with no muffler who thinks they're in NASCAR.

Everyday, and I mean EVERYDAY I saw some scary stunts, and again saw more crashes(including fatalities) in a few years in FL, than in 20 years in CA.

And don't even get me going on the tailgaters there. Every once in awhile you get a jerk here. FL was "jerk central" when it came to drivers.

Ever drive US 19? One of the deadliest highways in the US. They actually have bumperstickers down there "Pray for me I drive 19"....you can have FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
So, didn't you do your research before you moved to your present home in CA? If so, why did you move there?

BTW, your Central Valley experiences cannot be generalized to all of California. I do hope you realize that. You put yourself into that situation.
Bingo. Someone moves to the middle of nowhere and than complains about having to drive to get places.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 PM

270 posts, read 195,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
BTW my car insurance in CA with a 2014 car is about $400 a year cheaper in CA than it was in FL with a 2008. Groceries are also cheaper in CA, so are the utilities. Home ownership is the big difference.

LOL!!!!!!! I used to call FL "Jerry Springer Country", weird mix of people. But I really didn't know what white trash was until living in FL.
I didn't own a car in Florida so I can't comment on the insurance, but I don't think groceries were more expensive and certainly cheaper than Northern California. Even if groceries were cheaper, that's something a person can find ways to cut back on. Utilities are going to be cheaper in SoCal because you don't use the air as much. They're more expensive because usage goes up. Rent on the other hand is a fixed cost, something that is constant for at least 6 months to a year depending on the lease. Comparing it to insurance is apples and oranges.

Lol, Native Floridians are definitely "Jerry Springer," but I ran into more NY transplants than anyone else.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:19 PM

96 posts, read 80,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
I am a California native who grew up in Santa Monica six blocks from the ocean. It was a great place in the 60's and 70's to live. I went to UCLA, became an engineer, got recruited by an aerospace company and retired after 27 years. I have owned my home in great part of west Los Angeles since the late 70's. As the traffic and people congestion started changing drastically in the last ten years or so I started looking at alternatives much like you're doing. After much much research, extended visits and using this forum I decided on buying a house in Atlantuc Beach, Fl. It reminds of Santa Monica when I was growing up. The house is four blocks from the ocean and the beach there has very little public parking so we've never seen it crowded. As far as humidity I read all the horror stories but have actually grown to like it. Bugs have not been a problem for us (we do have a regular pest control service). I have only seen alligators in alligator farms. I fly fish so I'm around the intercostal water way a fair amount both in boats and wading and have never seen a snake.

It's been 8 years since I bought the house in Atlantic Beach and still own and maintain my LA home since it's paid for. We do travel back and forth but I plan on selling the house in LA early next year and making Atlantic Beach our full time home.

I know it's probably more info than you want but I hope my research and ultimate decision can give some insight into another person's perspective.

Have you thought about renting your California home? Do you like living in Atlantic beach better than California and is there a big cost difference between the two?

Old 04-11-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
I didn't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but OP, you are aware that wages in Florida are ridiculously low, right? Are you sure you can get the same pay in FL?

Also, bugs are an issue down there. I lived in SUPER clean apartment housing with pest inspections included in the rent and still ended up with bugs on a weekly basis. Then, there are the frogs and lizards that I accidentally stepped on just walking down the sidewalk.

If a beach is your only requirement, have you looked into the Carolinas? My understanding is North Carolina has nice beaches and from my understanding tolerable weather.

FYI, I'm a California native and given the choice, would choose my home state in a heartbeat (I love the beach). However, I can tell you now that the pay you listed above won't get you much these days, but probably more than NYC.
I just wanted to clarify your statement : "However, I can tell you now that the pay you listed above won't get you much these days, but probably more than NYC" Will my salary of $ 81,100/year not let me live comfortably in either Florida or California?

Old 04-11-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Everyone has a different reaction to humidity. If the OP was coning from a 'dry' state (AZ, NV, etc.) I would advise caution, but she is coming from New York. IME (how it feels to me), the 'northern half' of Florida is pretty similar to New York re humidity. South Florida is on another level re humidity, which some people (myself included) like. Your description seems a bit hyperbolic, but it might not be as everyone reacts differently. Given some of the information above, I'm guessing you lived in South Florida.

Part of that difference could be a difference in the crime rate between your previous Florida zip code and your current California zip code, but I did include in one of my thread replies to the OP that...with all other variables being egual...car insurance will be more expensive in Florida than California because Florida is a no fault state, and California is not.

If you draw a line across the state just south of Bradenton and include all areas south of that line...I completely agree with you. My experience in that part of Florida mirror what you mention re stunts that people pull. THAT PART of Florida (south of a line drawn across Florida south of Bradenton) = the worst area in the U.S. re driving, IMO...the only place with worse drivers than Houston. Even with my scary experiences in South Florida with crazy drivers, that hasn't resulted in making me afraid to drive there.

Yeah, there are a lot of rednecks in Florida, but there are still places where transplants can live unaffected by rednecks.

If I choose Florida I will look in the areas of Central Florida on up to the north near Jacksonville. I'm hoping the humidity in that part of Florida isn't so bad. The humidity in NY during the summer can be oppressive at times but I can live with it. I know that Florida has it for alot longer during the year.

Are most of the problems you mention about car insurance, bad traffic and rednecks mostly in the southern part of Florida? Is the weather and way of life better towards the northern part of Florida?
Even though I work from home and won't be traveling much will my car insurance still be high?

Old 04-11-2016, 10:06 PM

585 posts, read 683,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
Have you thought about renting your California home? Do you like living in Atlantic beach better than California and is there a big cost difference between the two?
I'm not the landlord type so no rentals for me. The house is in great shape and I want to keep it that way. We are keeping our home in Indian Wells; we like the desert as much as we like the beach. We love Atlantic Beach and the cost of living if we used comparable properties is approximately 30% less. Our Current LA home is worth way more than I could afford today and with prop 13 are taxes are extremely less than our neighbors, so an apples to apples comparison is next to impossible.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:10 AM

3,028 posts, read 1,665,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So let's see you moved to a small podunk town in CA and you compare it to major cities in FL?

Ridiculous comparison. Gainesville is a university town, it's not the norm for Florida.
Yeah, I agree. Not a fair comparison. I have a cousin who attended Univ. of Fla. in Gainesville. A better comparison would have been Davis or San Luis Obispo.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 AM

17,687 posts, read 10,728,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
I just wanted to clarify your statement : "However, I can tell you now that the pay you listed above won't get you much these days, but probably more than NYC" Will my salary of $ 81,100/year not let me live comfortably in either Florida or California?
Comfortable in FL, maybe in CA depending on where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or