U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 05:51 AM

96 posts, read 80,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
It's obvious you never lived close to the Atlantic Ocean! Oh, and health care, have you ever heard of a a little health network called Mayo Clinic?!

Another observation is that folks who are overweight and out of shape really suffer from the effects of humidity than those are in shape and are height/weight proportionate. The US Army learned this years ago. Read "fat people sweat more".

Why is almost everyone saying the healthcare is not good in Florida? You mentioned the Mayo Clinic, is that an actual Hospital with Dr. practices that are affiliated with it or is it just a research facility?

During the opressive heat and humidity during the summer does living near a beach really make a difference with having the ocean breeze?

With all this talk about the horrible humidity and not very good health care is making me choose to not move to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 07:08 AM

11,899 posts, read 3,244,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually you're quite wrong. Plenty of people hate the many, many months of humidity.

FL's big claim to fame(at least in Tampa) that it never got over a 100 degrees, well with the heat index factoring in the humidity it does. They try to downplay that.

As far as NY humidity(I am originally from NY), yes it does get quite humid in the summer, but you see it ends, in FL it goes and on and on and it's worse. Summer starts in March and goes till Dec, that's the difference, I could deal with humidity and heat if I know come Sept it is coming to an end.

In fact in NY you might get a heat wave with over 90 temps for a week, and it breaks, in FL the heatwave is 8 months long.

That's not the case in FL. And yes in the summer, it will stay well into the 80s at night. It doesn't cool down when the sun sets like CA does.

What is that old saying.....'birds of a feather flock together'. I imagine you spent time with people who dislike the humidity as much as you do..

"Plenty of people hate the many, many months of humidity"....hmm. Did I post that no one (besides you) hates the humidity in Florida?....No. Did I post that no one besides you thinks the heatwave lasts for 8 months?...No. What I posted was "Uncomfortable humidity 8 months a year...perhaps for someone who is super sensitive to humidity...but not for the average person". I also wrote that given what you wrote about 'the 8 months', that I imagined you lived in South Florida.

I'm providing a link below, entitled: 'An Analysis of the Beginning, End, Length, and Strength of Florida's Hot Season'...this is an academic analysis that comes from the Florida Climate Center, Office of the State Climatologist, at Florida State University.

They took data from 36 different locations all over Florida for a period of 58 years. Among other things, they identified the Mean Length of the Hot Season (in number of days), the Mean Beginning Day of the Hot Season, and the Mean Ending Day of the Hot Season.

Lets say 8 months is 240 days. All of the 36 locations (except for 1, Titusville) that have a Mean Length of the Hot Season of 240 days or longer are either in South Florida, or they are inland.

Tarpon Springs (1 of the Tampa area towns I mentioned) = 172 days (under 6 months)..not 8 months.
Tampa = 174 days (also under 6 months)...not 8 months.

In one of her later posts, the OP mentioned that she might try the Jacksonville area re less humidity. Jacksonville (at 144 days.....30 days shorter than Tampa and 28 days shorter than Tarpon Springs) is the third to the lowest out of the 36 locations in Mean Length of the Hot Season (in number of days).

The OP san use just the tables and maps within this link to help guide her, and she can also read the academic text that explains their methodology if she is so inclined (which includes why inland usually = hotter).

climatecenter.fsu.edu/topics/specials/floridas-hot-season

Quote:
US 19 is one of the most dangerous highways in America. For those not familiar with it is like a freeway but with traffic lights. You also have endless strip malls on both sides so you have cars pulling out right onto a highway with traffic doing 60 MPH. One day I saw not one but two accidents with fatalities. Unlike other states FL doesn't seem to believe in service roads where people can pull out, gain speed and than enter the highway.

They have bumperstickers "Pray for me I drive 19".

I already explained in my previous post how to avoid US 19....use ALT 19...and that at least two of the hospitals I mentioned in a previous post before that are closer to ALT 19 (US 19 Alternate) than they are to US 19.

Quote:
You mention hospitals? Be very careful in FL, not the best state for medical care.

A non specific generalization for a whole state. Really?

Quote:
Sounds like you're from Houston, someone coming from Houston, TX is used to horrific humidity for several months. The humidity in FL is worse than NY, and it goes for months and months.

I'm a San Francisco Bay Area native, and I also lived in Newport Beach, California for 7 years. I moved to the Houston Area in 2008.

I agree that some of Florida is humid for longer than both Houston and New York in an average year, and I don't doubt that you sincerely feel the way you do because of your reaction to the humidity, I just think your response is an outlier, not near the mean.

Rather than the two of us going back and forth, the OP can look at the academic link I provided, and use data to help decide. Given that the OP mentioned she might be leaning toward Jacksonville, and that my link shows that, on average, the hot season in Jacksonville is about a month shorter than in Tampa or Tarpon Springs, she seems to have good instincts...she'll figure it out. As she mentioned, she can also move to California if she decides she doesn't like it. If the OP decides on the Jacksonville area, she can always take long weekends to The Tampa Bay Area, or Orlando, or Lee County to see if she likes any of those areas and experience the humidity for herself.

**Apology to the OP......My link won't embed, but the City Data system did accept the URL (last line before Seain Dublin's line that starts 'US 19 is one of the'), so you can just type the URL into a search engine and the page will come up.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
During the opressive heat and humidity during the summer does living near a beach really make a difference with having the ocean breeze?

Yes.

climatecenter.fsu.edu/topics/specials/floridas-hot-season

^^^^^ This is the link that I included in my reply to Seain Dublin (sorry, it still won't embed). Part of the text of the link discusses your question above.

Quote:
With all this talk about the horrible humidity and not very good health care is making me choose to not move to Florida.

Seain Dublin made one unsubstantiated generalization about poor health care re the whole state. I don't remember anyone else on the thread complaining at all. Perhaps there are threads in the different Florida forums that discuss the quality of healthcare (????), but sometimes people only bother to make a comment about service they received if that comment is a complaint.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:41 AM

13,031 posts, read 7,589,627 times
Quote:
Why is almost everyone saying the healthcare is not good in Florida? You mentioned the Mayo Clinic, is that an actual Hospital with Dr. practices that are affiliated with it or is it just a research facility?

And don't forget the bugs! Seems you are being led astray in this conversation by persons trying to obfuscate the real issue (bugs!) with all this drivel about earnings, expenses, real estate, health care, highway safety, etc. Good health care, low humidity, great highways, low insurance rates, friendly, gracious, intelligent neighbors - all would mean nothing anyway if the place is loaded with bugs. Don't be fooled! Bugs have only one agenda: to drive you stark raving mad!

Old 04-13-2016, 09:04 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,166,746 times
Quote:
Hi,

I've been contemplating either moving to Florida or California. I know the weather between the two are different and the summers can be unbearable in the summers in Florida. California has great weather for the most part, however, California is so darn expensive.

I checked and since Florida has no income tax I would bring home a little over $600 per month more in my paycheck and the cost of living is cheaper.

California i would lose $600 monthly and taxes are higher but the weather is gorgeous and I have family out there so I'm back and forth with my decision.

In Florida I could afford to live either on or very close to the beach. California would be impossible financially.

What would your choices be and for what reasons?

Thank you
Theresa
Here are some reasons for California, probably many more posts here on C-D.com ….

Old 09-24-2006, 01:16 PM
olddaddy olddaddy started this thread

2 posts, read 7,036 times

We currently live in central Florida, near Orlando. We find ourselves less and less happy with our area. The growth is uncontolled and ugly, and brings little benefit, but much loss. The weather is beyond miserable with heat being the only season for 9-10 months a year. Hurricanes and the cost of insurance against them is making us poorer year by year. Schools in our area are mostly failing. Living costs probably rival California, with none of the benefits.

We are a middle aged couple with a 4 yr old daughter. Our goal is a nice small town, possibly a rural area to raise her up through the years. I have lived in SF bay area of California in the past. My wife and I have visited twice together in the past few years, mosly the wine country and northern part of the state.

Charlie, Kirsten, and Kinsey.

Here is a photo with some reasons for choosing California….

Old 04-13-2016, 09:24 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,636,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here are some reasons for California, probably many more posts here on C-D.com ….

We currently live in central Florida, near Orlando. We find ourselves less and less happy with our area. The growth is uncontolled and ugly, and brings little benefit, but much loss. The weather is beyond miserable with heat being the only season for 9-10 months a year. Hurricanes and the cost of insurance against them is making us poorer year by year. Schools in our area are mostly failing. Living costs probably rival California, with none of the benefits.

We are a middle aged couple with a 4 yr old daughter. Our goal is a nice small town, possibly a rural area to raise her up through the years. I have lived in SF bay area of California in the past. My wife and I have visited twice together in the past few years, mosly the wine country and northern part of the state.

Nice. The pic you posted is one of the reasons I prefer FL to CA. Only place in the world with both gators and crocs(amazing biodiversity on both land and sea). 3rd largest coral reef in the world, green and lush (blame the humidity for that), not largely brown and arid.

Plus ORL is a kids paradise with all the theme parks. And the schools overall are better than CA's(was reading about that a few weeks back), though FL has gone down from 6th(in 2013) to something in the middle of the pack. If you're poor in FL, you'll be far poorer in CA(COL is a lot higher).

Last edited by Trigger-f; 04-13-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Yet the population of Florida continues to increase....and if one reads through the various Florida CD threads, plenty of people are happy in Florida.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:41 AM

13,031 posts, read 7,589,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Nice. The pic you posted is one of the reasons I prefer FL to CA. Only place in the world with both gators and crocs(amazing biodiversity on both land and sea). 3rd largest coral reef in the world, green and lush (blame the humidity for that), not largely brown and arid.

Plus ORL is a kids paradise with all the theme parks. And the schools overall are better than CA's(was reading about that a few weeks back), though FL has gone down from 6th(in 2013) to something in the middle of the pack. If you're poor in FL, you'll be far poorer in CA(COL is a lot higher).
Yeah. But the OP doesn't have kids to raise. She's got two dogs, and her own two legs - both of which gators and crocs love for snacking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yet the population of Florida continues to increase....and if one reads through the various Florida CD threads, plenty of people are happy in Florida.
The populaton of everywhere continues to increase, unfortunately. 'Cept maybe Nebraska. (Say! There's an idea for low COL! And no gators! Nebraska!)

Plenty of people are happy anywhere they have Tee-Vee and internet and air conditioned malls. Now, if you actually like being out of doors - without gators and snakes, and bugs - um .......

Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,636,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah. But the OP doesn't have kids to raise. She's got two dogs, and her own two legs - both of which gators and crocs love for snacking.

The populaton of everywhere continues to increase, unfortunately. 'Cept maybe Nebraska. (Say! There's an idea for low COL! And no gators! Nebraska!)

Plenty of people are happy anywhere they have Tee-Vee and internet and air conditioned malls. Now, if you actually like being out of doors - without gators and snakes, and bugs - um .......
Was not responding to the original poster, only to the person who posted the picture.

I would say gators in FL are less of a danger than the Carcharodon carcharias' roaming the CA coast up and down(you have tons of surfers in the water; they have 2 legs too.) Something to think about..

Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 AM

4,011 posts, read 2,558,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And don't forget the bugs! Seems you are being led astray in this conversation by persons trying to obfuscate the real issue (bugs!) with all this drivel about earnings, expenses, real estate, health care, highway safety, etc. Good health care, low humidity, great highways, low insurance rates, friendly, gracious, intelligent neighbors - all would mean nothing anyway if the place is loaded with bugs. Don't be fooled! Bugs have only one agenda: to drive you stark raving mad!
Also don't forget the highest income, sales, gas taxes and car registration renewal in the nation and constantly rising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or