U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,164,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yet the population of Florida continues to increase....and if one reads through the various Florida CD threads, plenty of people are happy in Florida.
Meet the other increasing population, your happy neighbors also….
Alligators...
Alligators have inhabited Florida's marshes, swamps, rivers and lakes for many centuries, and are found in all 67 counties. In recent years, Florida has experienced tremendous human population growth. Many residents seek waterfront homes, and increasingly participate in water-related activities. This can result in more frequent alligator-human interactions, and a greater potential for conflict.
Although many Floridians have learned to coexist with alligators, the potential for conflict always exists.
Crocodiles...
American crocodiles primarily are found in south Florida living in brackish and saltwater habitats such as ponds, coves and creeks of mangrove swamps. Recently crocodiles have moved northward within their range and even inland into freshwater areas of southeast Florida. The American crocodile is an endangered species success story. Since 1975 their numbers have increased from less than 300 to more than 1,500 adults. Today, they are classified as a threatened species. The number of crocodile complaints has risen as a result of their recovery and the increasing number of people living and recreating in south Florida.
venomous Snakes...
q=florida's+poisonous+spiders&biw=1837&bih=986&tbm =isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix0uqP-ovMAhXDs4MKHfFdAyAQ7AkIRw#tbm=isch&q=florida+poiso nous+snakes+pictures[/url]
poisonous Spiders...
https://www.google.com/search?q=flor...HfFdAyAQ7AkIRw
For your Dogs. A poisonous Frog...
Massive, Poisonous Toads Pose Springtime Threat in Florida
And Flordia has these if you go in the Ocean…
https://www.google.com/search?q=flor...HbFkCuUQsAQIGw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 10:14 AM

12,954 posts, read 7,554,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Also don't forget the highest income, sales, and gas taxes in the nation and constantly rising.
Aside from you being wrong about these taxes being highest in California:
- highest gas taxes are in Pennsylvania

- the five states with the highest average combined state-local sales tax rates are Tennessee (9.45 percent), Arkansas (9.26 percent), Alabama (8.91 percent), Louisiana (8.91 percent), and Washington (8.89 percent).

- and, while California has the highest possible income tax rate bracket, it is a highly progressive tax rate state so the OP at $81k annually will pay pretty average rates for the nation's states.

But, as I said, aside from your technical errors, um, taxes are constantly decling exactly where?

Old 04-13-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Was not responding to the original poster, only to the person who posted the picture.

I would say gators in FL are less of a danger than the Carcharodon carcharias' roaming the CA coast up and down(you have tons of surfers in the water; they have 2 legs too.) Something to think about..
Right. Which is a problem for the OP ONLY if she's a surfer. Something to think about.

By the way, which state has the highest rate of shark attacks and fatalities, and growing?
Ans: Florida!
Shark attacks in California pale incredibly by comparison, and are declining:
http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...708-story.html

Old 04-13-2016, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 3,850 times
I am a muslim and while florida has many in my religion, it is unsafe. My family is constantly harassed and has had their windows shot out.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:36 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,164,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Also don't forget the highest income, sales, gas taxes and car registration renewal in the nation and constantly rising.
Oregon is your promise land, don't fight it. Go home to your native soil while your still on top. The end is near.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:41 AM

4,980 posts, read 6,378,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proden89 View Post
I am a muslim and while florida has many in my religion, it is unsafe. My family is constantly harassed and has had their windows shot out.
Wasn't that a pretty quick religious conversion? Nineteen minutes prior to this post, you stated you were an atheist. What's more, you said that US "anti-discrimantion laws" are "excessive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by proden89 View Post
I just moved here from southeast US in August 2015. I found a good job, with a decent salary, at a strong company in Menlo Park. Everything that I enjoy doing (martial arts, hiking, camping) is plentiful here. It is a truly wonderful place.

Unfortunately, I've found the following cons to outweigh the pros:

- Rent (this speaks for itself to anyone familiar with living here)

- Commutes are comparable to DC beltway rush hour, yet the cost of living is significantly higher

- H1B abuse and communication skills of coworkers: The H1-B abuse is despicible, and the selling-out of the American workforce is a frightening harbinger of things to come. I understand that workers with english-as-a-second-language require patience, but it seems to be an excuse here to avoid certain tasks, ultimately pawned off on english speaking coworkers. I have had a fair amount of other people's failed tasks reassigned to me because I am an english speaking, native born American.

- Religion: I'm no stranger to metropolitan areas and diverse ethnic groups, but the folks here speak unabashedly about their crazy religious beliefs and racial bias in inappropriate work situations. I've literally been lectured on jihad, been told that America is "wrong," been told that sharia law is the perfect replacement to the American government, been told that as an atheist I have no ability to discern between right and wrong, and more, at the cafe lunch table, by a Pakistani muslim who took an American's job. Due to America's excessive anti-discrimination laws , I have no defense but to avoid coworkers, which has only created division within the team.

- Gun laws: If I am going to live in a place where immigrants are encouraged to tell me my country sucks and that I'm evil, I'd like to at least be able to carry some security.

- Things to do: I'm an outdoorsy guy, and California is a mecca for outdoors stuff, but getting to it requires an unnerving gauntlet of bad drivers

All in all, I think this could be a great area, but I have come to the conclusion that Northern California has sold out its statehood to Asia and the Middle East. One could get the same vibe in Research Triangle, for a far lower cost of living. I hope things turn around here but I fear the worst.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:45 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,633,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Right. Which is a problem for the OP ONLY if she's a surfer. Something to think about.

By the way, which state has the highest rate of shark attacks and fatalities, and growing?
Ans: Florida!
Shark attacks in California pale incredibly by comparison, and are declining:
Shark attacks on the rise? In California, the risk has plunged - LA Times
Most shark attacks in FL are not fatal (mostly perpetrated by Bull sharks or smaller species). One bite from a Great white and you're history.

"How many people are attacked each year in Florida?

ISAF has lots of stats on its web site related to Florida shark attacks. Florida has about 30 to 40 unprovoked attacks each year. Seems like a lot until you figure that millions of people enter Florida waters each year. Only 30 to 40 attacked out of millions? For me, that puts the issue in perspective. Conclusion: Shark attack is real; shark attack is rare. I recognize its reality, while taking comfort in its rarity.

Who gets attacked?

Surfers, mostly"

Shark attacks

CA has more surfers in the water at any given time.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Most shark attacks in FL are not fatal (mostly perpetrated by Bull sharks or smaller species). One bite from a Great white and you're history.

"How many people are attacked each year in Florida?

ISAF has lots of stats on its web site related to Florida shark attacks. Florida has about 30 to 40 unprovoked attacks each year. Seems like a lot until you figure that millions of people enter Florida waters each year. Only 30 to 40 attacked out of millions? For me, that puts the issue in perspective. Conclusion: Shark attack is real; shark attack is rare. I recognize its reality, while taking comfort in its rarity.

Who gets attacked?

Surfers, mostly"

Shark attacks

CA has more surfers in the water at any given time.
Right. Now, as before, is the OP a surfer? Also, as before, read the link I provided. California shark attacks are fewer and decling. And, yeah, California's got millions of population and visitors in the water too.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Wasn't that a pretty quick religious conversion? Nineteen minutes prior to this post, you stated you were an atheist. What's more, you said that US "anti-discrimantion laws" are "excessive."
Yeah, I caught that too. Beat me to the response.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:23 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,633,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Right. Now, as before, is the OP a surfer? Also, as before, read the link I provided. California shark attacks are fewer and decling. And, yeah, California's got millions of population and visitors in the water too.
No OP is a poster..

Visitors in the water? You mean most stay on the beach because the water is too cold (hence the sea lions etc..)? Cold water + sea lions/seals = great whites.. I'll give you $100 to get in the water when sea lions are present or at night. See what happens.. I bet the experience will be more traumatic than seeing a gator in a lake in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or