U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-14-2016, 02:42 PM
 
893 posts, read 560,028 times
Reputation: 352

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Why, because people in San Diego speak English and have more stereotypical American mannerisms and interests than people in Miami? Please.
Well that and the fact Miami is one of the few cities in the USA that constantly has something going on. That's probably why international tourists choose Miami over any other US city but NYC to spend their money and come visit. For example, this week is Floatopia last week was Gay Pride next week it will be something else where 100,000s of people descend - this case on the Beach. As a resident it can become overwhelming.

But let's speak to the cultural element - Miami is clearly one of a kind city in the USA in terms of the cultural mannerisms. They are much more Latin/European. For example, locals (not immigrants but born and raised Mamians) kiss each other on the cheeks 3 time as a greeting. That's what you'd expect in Spain, Italy or Greece not the USA. The Miami police are required to be conversational in 3 languages (English, Spanish, French).

San Diego otoh has Asians and Mexicans, some Somalis too but at the end of the day it's an American city culturally inside and out. In that regard it shares similarities with countless other American cities in California and the Midwest. Miami is one of a kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2016, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Carpinteria
1,145 posts, read 1,169,692 times
Reputation: 1038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
They get a fit when they think FL has so many gators.

Probably higher temps in the sea depleting their food source. The oceans are under major stress since last year.
That's it. It's a global thing, not just California as suggested in #157.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 05:40 PM
 
Location: LBC
4,155 posts, read 4,498,819 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Let's not get dramatic - a lot of people left California as well and swear that they hated it. I'm not one of those (as I openly stated, I like my home state) but I meet many of them. I also meet many transplants who moved to California and back and complain about the cookie cutter sprawl and lack of culture. In particular I know someone here from Miami (Coral Gables) who moved to San Diego and then moved back to Miami complaining about the lack of culture and diversity there and the fact he felt the city to be boring.

Re mosquitos, not a problem at all on Miami Beach. No-seeums are though but the beaches in SoCal have a problem with gnats that gravitate to washed up kelp.
Sure, but my experience has been the vast majority of the most embittered CA expats I have known are and were self-entitled whiners with whom I had little in common even before they left, eg, politics, culture, values, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 06:33 PM
 
585 posts, read 683,209 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If you enjoy humidity and bugs (mosquitos)...FL

I've been living in CA over 50 yrs from PA. Vacationed in FL a lot and came back here with tons of bites.
I call BS! You're just piling on. I'm a native southern Californian, I don't like bugs. I have never been bitten in Atlantic Beach. Maybe you should try nicer hotels and locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 06:36 PM
 
585 posts, read 683,209 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And don't forget the bugs! Seems you are being led astray in this conversation by persons trying to obfuscate the real issue (bugs!) with all this drivel about earnings, expenses, real estate, health care, highway safety, etc. Good health care, low humidity, great highways, low insurance rates, friendly, gracious, intelligent neighbors - all would mean nothing anyway if the place is loaded with bugs. Don't be fooled! Bugs have only one agenda: to drive you stark raving mad!
Com'on dude you're a one trick pony!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 06:39 PM
 
Location: On the water.
13,066 posts, read 7,620,481 times
Reputation: 10481
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
Com'on dude you're a one trick pony!
Better than a one-trick ginormous mosquito.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
3,027 posts, read 1,663,220 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
I call BS! You're just piling on. I'm a native southern Californian, I don't like bugs. I have never been bitten in Atlantic Beach. Maybe you should try nicer hotels and locals.
What about your experience with bugs, mosquitoes, etc. when hiking, biking or walking in natural settings? Are you saying this is a total non-issue in Fla. like it is here in So.Calif.? I find that hard to believe.


Also, are you saying you've never had issues with roaches inside your house or condo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 07:55 PM
 
893 posts, read 560,028 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Sure, but my experience has been the vast majority of the most embittered CA expats I have known are and were self-entitled whiners with whom I had little in common even before they left, eg, politics, culture, values, etc.
A lot of the people who fled Miami and complain about it are in the same boat. In fact expats from Miami and Los Angeles echo almost similar reasons - too many illegals/immigrants, terrible traffic, rising cost of living. You can swap Hurricanes with Earthquakes and Humidity with Smog/Air Quality.

I tend to view people who complain about their place to be eternally negative as you said, for one if they're miserable they should move but when they do, they almost go back to complaining once the "honeymoon" phase is over.

One thing I will say about Miami in comparison to Los Angeles is lack of high paying jobs. Many people are struggling in Miami, Miami was never intended as a place to make money but rather to spend it. Los Angeles actually has a lot of industry and they pay well, well in relation to Miami they do. One of my friends who relocated from Los Angeles to Miami is moving back to Los Angeles because he cannot find a high paying job. As you can imagine, he hates Miami (he came because it was closer to his wife's family and he wanted a change).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 10:07 PM
 
56 posts, read 47,416 times
Reputation: 34
i find it quite hilarious the amount of people here trying to literally justify that moving further north in Florida, or living in-land (a state that literally only takes about 2 hours form coast to coast) makes a damn bit of difference about the humidity

first off, fun facts, check any daily dewpoint map on weather.com during the daytime and you'll see nothing but green stretching well above Florida and past all the connected south-eastern lip of the US from Texas around and up to Virginia

its about a days drive just to get up to Atlanta from mid-florida, and you're still no where close to exiting the the heavy dewpoint areas (thats air so damp that your body's own natural cooling method of sweating has zero impact cause its too moist and it doesnt matter what shape your in, you'll find tons of athletes who travel all around the globe in peak conditions complaining about the weather down here)

much less thinking a 30 minute drive inland in which unless its orlando there's literally nothing inland of florida, nor is it going to some how turn into a completely different climate when you have no mountains like the eastern half of Washington or Oregon does

put it this way, as much as people complain about those 2 states(the west western portions), its dewpoint and "comfort index" on bestplacetolive which is a objective weather based stat based on the humidity/dewpoint during warm weather is head and shoulders above florida, and guess what, florida is tied for worst with all those states above, Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Missisippi, Georiga and both Carolinas

Californa, as i stated before, even LA which is as far down as you can get ever comes close to as bad as Florida at any point of the year, but all those other south eastern states at least get some relief with cooler weather, the only time it gets "comfortable" in florida is if theres some MAJOR snow storm up north that blows some cool dry air down here, so maybe 1 or 2 days you can actually leave the windows open AND actually sleep under the covers naturally without waking up in a pool of sweat a few hours later since the heat has no where to go (and god help you if you have a memory foam mattress, not that traditional springs will make much difference either)

meanwhile a few days later as the normal weather pattern kicks it, its back to humid city and if you think its just SOME people, take a cruise around town and count the number of cars with windows down, even when its 70s outside and if you think its just cause they actually think its "cold" hear the A/C kicking on in all their engines as you stop at a red light and realize just how much everyone "loves the weather" down here when you see everyone form old people to young people outside of a really beat up piece of crap car that probably doesnt have working A/C driving with their windows up 365....and if this paragraph aint making sense its someone who HATES the weather down here admitting there are a FEW days when its tolerable to have the windows down even in stop an go traffic and not be hot an sweaty...and yet EVERYONE STILL GOT THE AC ON...okay "its just a small sample size of anti-floridian climate" my A double S

and I live near Tampa which is just above the jetstream that cuts off the lower portion of florida that's even hotter

but northern florida isnt any better, Gainesville university of Florida football stadium is called the SWAMP because of the humidity and heat and thats as far north as you're gonna get before reaching Georgia which aint paradise either

and air quality? florida is ranked just 3 spots ahead of California overall and sure its a big jump, but hardly the best air, you need actual trees and flowers an grass around to do that, not sand and palm "trees" which have nothing but dried brown "leaves" that will fall on the power lines daily with outages


just for fun ill compare the LA metro area which is as far south in California and the mecca of the state, nobody thinks of San Diego...vs Orlando the only relevant in-land spot in Florida "away from the coast and humdity"

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana / Orlando-Kissimmee

Rain = 15 inches vs 50
Precipitation Days = 32 vs 106
Sunny Days = 258 vs 242
Avg. July High = 84 vs 92
Avg. Jan. Low = 44 vs 50
Comfort Index = 50 vs 28 (lower is worse)
Elevation = 1500 vs 65 feet above sea level

move north or inland in California and the climate just gets better, move north of Florida and you'll reach another state before finding another relevant city outside of cramped Jacksonville

you couldn't pay me to stay here in florida which ill be done with in a week from now, moving to eastern Washington away from the volatile unpredictable weather, away from the natural disasters, away from the humidity, and 7 inches of rain or snow a year just a hour or so from the wet side with Seattle and Portland

theres still plenty of other states/areas that made the final list for me, if you want it more warm without the humidity but not stupid heat like arizona, then look at New Mexico

Last edited by dAqS6R0gRQet; 04-14-2016 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 10:27 PM
 
Location: On the water.
13,066 posts, read 7,620,481 times
Reputation: 10481
Quote:
Originally Posted by dAqS6R0gRQet View Post
i find it quite hilarious the amount of people here trying to literally justify that moving further north in Florida, or living in-land (a state that literally only takes about 2 hours form coast to coast) makes a damn bit of difference about the humidity

first off, fun facts, check any daily dewpoint map on weather.com during the daytime and you'll see nothing but green stretching well above Florida and past all the connected south-eastern lip of the US from Texas around and up to Virginia

its about a days drive just to get up to Atlanta from mid-florida, and you're still no where close to exiting the the heavy dewpoint areas (thats air so damp that your body's own natural cooling method of sweating has zero impact cause its too moist and it doesnt matter what shape your in, you'll find tons of athletes who travel all around the globe in peak conditions complaining about the weather down here)

much less thinking a 30 minute drive inland in which unless its orlando there's literally nothing inland of florida, nor is it going to some how turn into a completely different climate when you have no mountains like the eastern half of Washington or Oregon does

put it this way, as much as people complain about those 2 states(the west western portions), its dewpoint and "comfort index" on bestplacetolive which is a objective weather based stat based on the humidity/dewpoint during warm weather is head and shoulders above florida, and guess what, florida is tied for worst with all those states above, Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Missisippi, Georiga and both Carolinas

Californa, as i stated before, even LA which is as far down as you can get ever comes close to as bad as Florida at any point of the year, but all those other south eastern states at least get some relief with cooler weather, the only time it gets "comfortable" in florida is if theres some MAJOR snow storm up north that blows some cool dry air down here, so maybe 1 or 2 days you can actually leave the windows open AND actually sleep under the covers naturally without waking up in a pool of sweat a few hours later since the heat has no where to go (and god help you if you have a memory foam mattress, not that traditional springs will make much difference either)

meanwhile a few days later as the normal weather pattern kicks it, its back to humid city and if you think its just SOME people, take a cruise around town and count the number of cars with windows down, even when its 70s outside and if you think its just cause they actually think its "cold" hear the A/C kicking on in all their engines as you stop at a red light and realize just how much everyone "loves the weather" down here when you see everyone form old people to young people outside of a really beat up piece of crap car that probably doesnt have working A/C driving with their windows up 365

and I live near Tampa which is just above the jetstream that cuts off the lower portion of florida that's even hotter

but northern florida isnt any better, Gainesville university of Florida football stadium is called the SWAMP because of the humidity and heat and thats as far north as you're gonna get before reaching Georgia which aint paradise either

and air quality? florida is ranked just 3 spots ahead of California overall and sure its a big jump, but hardly the best air, you need actual trees and flowers an grass around to do that, not sand and palm "trees" which have nothing but dried brown "leaves" that will fall on the power lines daily with outages


just for fun ill compare the LA metro area which is as far south in California and the mecca of the state, nobody thinks of San Diego...vs Orlando the only relevant in-land spot in Florida "away from the coast and humdity"

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana / Orlando-Kissimmee

Rain = 15 inches vs 50
Precipitation Days = 32 vs 106
Sunny Days = 258 vs 242
Avg. July High = 84 vs 92
Avg. Jan. Low = 44 vs 50
Comfort Index = 50 vs 28 (lower is worse)
Elevation = 1500 vs 65 feet above sea level

move north or inland in California and the climate just gets better, move north of Florida and you'll reach another state before finding another relevant city outside of cramped Jacksonville

you couldn't pay me to stay here in florida which ill be done with in a week from now, moving to eastern Washington away from the volatile unpredictable weather, away from the natural disasters, away from the humidity, and 7 inches of rain or snow a year just a hour or so from the wet side with Seattle and Portland

theres still plenty of other states/areas that made the final list for me, if you want it more warm without the humidity but not stupid heat like arizona, then look at New Mexico
This report brought to you courtesy of the Leo Tolstoy Channeling Foundation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top