U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-20-2016, 02:00 PM
 
11,904 posts, read 3,244,305 times
Reputation: 4060

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
So i'm thinking California would be better to move if only I can find a nice affordable place within driving distance, less than 45 min, to the beach.
Re California, I think pacific2 is steering you in the right direction by suggesting Aliso Viejo. You could look into Alicante (the complex pacific2 suggested), and look into others as well. I lived in Newport Beach (a nearby city) for 7 years, and I love where Aliso Viejo is situated. It is a great little city. Alicante to Main Beach Park in Laguna Beach takes a bit over 20 minutes at non peak hours, even while avoiding the toll road. Another complex on a popular apartment rental site has one bedrooms as low as $1485 per month in Aliso Viejo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2016, 02:56 PM
 
11,904 posts, read 3,244,305 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
What worries me about Florida is the high crime rate. I'm single so that is important to me. Florida tends to draw transients, which leads to a higher crime rate.
A company called Onboard Informatics gathers all the crime and other statistics for almost every zip code in the U.S. that has any residents. They rank the national average as 100 (lower is better). I have relatives who live in a San Francisco Bay Area zip code that has a total crime risk of 105. I would feel safe (and my relative's wife feels the same way) walking their dogs within their zip code at any time of the day or night.

One poster suggested Atlantic Beach, FL (Jacksonville Metro)----Atlantic Beach-----one zip---total crime risk = 60

I suggested Dunedin, Palm Harbor, and Tarpon Springs (Tampa Bay Area)
The one rated zip code in Dunedin = a total crime risk of 58
Two of the three zip codes in Palm Harbor = total crime risk of 74, and 44
The two zip codes in Tarpon Springs are a bit higher (but still very close to the 105 rating of my California example above) - total crime risk of 107, and 113

My zip in Texas is in the 40s, and I feel very safe.

pacific2's suggestion...his city...Aliso Viejo, California....has two zip codes...and they are even lower than any of the above re total crime risk, at 23 and 14.

I think you would be safe in any of the suggested Florida and California areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 07:50 PM
 
Location: SoCal
359 posts, read 319,835 times
Reputation: 295
Default Mosquitoes Don't Transmit Hepatitis - Even in Florida

That Terminix link has incorrect information regarding mosquitoes transmitting hepatitis - they don't.

Hepatitis C FAQs for the Public | Division of Viral Hepatitis | CDC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 08:01 PM
 
585 posts, read 681,659 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
What about your experience with bugs, mosquitoes, etc. when hiking, biking or walking in natural settings? Are you saying this is a total non-issue in Fla. like it is here in So.Calif.? I find that hard to believe.


Also, are you saying you've never had issues with roaches inside your house or condo?
No I haven't. I can afford a good pest control service. I also play golf at TPC Players and have not had any bites or stings. The guys that I play with are Fl natives and also agree that bugs have never been an issue in their lives. Much like the much over hyped humidity; I only have changed my golf club grips to better handle the extra moisture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 05:05 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
3,017 posts, read 1,655,321 times
Reputation: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
No I haven't. I can afford a good pest control service. I also play golf at TPC Players and have not had any bites or stings. The guys that I play with are Fl natives and also agree that bugs have never been an issue in their lives. Much like the much over hyped humidity; I only have changed my golf club grips to better handle the extra moisture.
Thanks for the reply. "Over hyped humidity"....well some people might make it sound worse than it is but you do agree summer time in Fla. is way more uncomfortable compared to Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 08:19 AM
 
17,603 posts, read 10,677,394 times
Reputation: 8521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Thanks for the reply. "Over hyped humidity"....well some people might make it sound worse than it is but you do agree summer time in Fla. is way more uncomfortable compared to Los Angeles?
Depends on if you want chapped lips, dry skin and a dry throat, which is what I experienced as a CA native and living in SoCal.

I am in a humid environment now and not near a beach, but my throat and lips say thank you every day. When in FL at any time of the year, including July Aug at the beach the Humidity is a minimal issue. The humidity issue is over hyped by people who do not like FL, those who like CA and can't stand any place being good and those who cannot handle any humidity. When I first moved to a humid State I found it hard to adapt and moved to a less humid State and then back to CA and now in a humid State and it is a minimal issue as I adapted.

Oh, if you are really overweight humidity will be an issue for sure. probably explains why the last time I was in CA and at the beaches (last year) the majority of the people were overweight. Not so much in FL but CA is now way worse than when I grew up in CA, and I lived at Newport Beach in the Summers. Not really a State problem as much as the volume of junk food in every class of restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 08:26 AM
 
893 posts, read 558,450 times
Reputation: 352
I never once experienced a sore throat or chapped lips in California, I would in Arizona. I did experience some skin problems that went away in Florida (just minor breakouts along the hair line), I also experienced more coughing after colds in California than Florida, as mentioned. But to compare if a climate is more comfortable, I think it's best done month by month.

January: I prefer Miami.
February: I prefer Miami.
March: By far is better in Miami than in Los Angeles.
April: Generally better in Miami than Los Angeles, comparing April 2016, you can see why.
May: Miami begins to be a little hot and humid here, but coastal LA is cloudy and cool. Miami.
June: Same reason as May.
July: Los Angeles is more pleasant.
August: Los Angeles is more pleasant.
September: Los Angeles is more pleasant.
October: Los Angeles is more pleasant.
November: Miami.
December: Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
3,017 posts, read 1,655,321 times
Reputation: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Depends on if you want chapped lips, dry skin and a dry throat, which is what I experienced as a CA native and living in SoCal.

I am in a humid environment now and not near a beach, but my throat and lips say thank you every day. When in FL at any time of the year, including July Aug at the beach the Humidity is a minimal issue. The humidity issue is over hyped by people who do not like FL, those who like CA and can't stand any place being good and those who cannot handle any humidity. When I first moved to a humid State I found it hard to adapt and moved to a less humid State and then back to CA and now in a humid State and it is a minimal issue as I adapted..

Yeah, humidity is better on the skin. But the Mediterranean climate is simply more pleasant for day to day living. In my 20's I lived in the NYC area and Wash, DC. I detested the summers. Granted I am older now and I might be able to adapt better. Generally speaking there is no need to "adapt" to So. Calif. summers. They are so damn pleasant. A co-worker of mine from Connecticut commented recently, "When I first moved to LA, I thought wow, no humidity here. I could live here forever."


Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Oh, if you are really overweight humidity will be an issue for sure. probably explains why the last time I was in CA and at the beaches (last year) the majority of the people were overweight. Not so much in FL but CA is now way worse than when I grew up in CA, and I lived at Newport Beach in the Summers. Not really a State problem as much as the volume of junk food in every class of restaurant.

How old are you? Rising obesity is a national issue. However, California has a lower adult obesity rate than Florida and it has one of the lower obesity rates in the nation.


States with the Lowest Obesity Rates: The State of Obesity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
3,017 posts, read 1,655,321 times
Reputation: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
I never once experienced a sore throat or chapped lips in California, I would in Arizona. I did experience some skin problems that went away in Florida (just minor breakouts along the hair line), I also experienced more coughing after colds in California than Florida, as mentioned. But to compare if a climate is more comfortable, I think it's best done month by month.

January: I prefer Miami.
February: I prefer Miami.
March: By far is better in Miami than in Los Angeles.
April: Generally better in Miami than Los Angeles, comparing April 2016, you can see why.
May: Miami begins to be a little hot and humid here, but coastal LA is cloudy and cool. Miami.
June: Same reason as May.
July: Los Angeles is more pleasant.
August: Los Angeles is more pleasant.
September: Los Angeles is more pleasant.
October: Los Angeles is more pleasant.
November: Miami.
December: Miami.

I think I can buy Nov. to March being more pleasant in Miami. April might be a toss up. I was in Miami in May for a business trip once and the first thing I wanted to do was get the hell out of my "business casual" clothes once the work day was done. Muggy and miserable is what I remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 10:09 AM
 
893 posts, read 558,450 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I think I can buy Nov. to March being more pleasant in Miami. I was in Miami in May for a business trip once and the first thing I wanted to do was get the hell out of my "business casual" clothes once the work day was done. Muggy and miserable.
Compare Miami April 2016:



To Los Angeles April 2016:



Now keep in mind our April 2016 is pretty much dead on average, whereas Los Angeles April 2016 is quite a bit above the historical average.

Which looks better to you? I say an April in Miami easily.

As for May, it's mostly coastal LA that's suffering then. Downtown you will have decent weather.

Last edited by Majami; 04-21-2016 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top