U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 10:26 AM

17,590 posts, read 10,656,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Yeah, humidity is better on the skin. But the Mediterranean climate is simply more pleasant for day to day living. In my 20's I lived in the NYC area and Wash, DC. I detested the summers. Granted I am older now and I might be able to adapt better. Generally speaking there is no need to "adapt" to So. Calif. summers. They are so damn pleasant. A co-worker of mine from Connecticut commented recently, "When I first moved to LA, I thought wow, no humidity here. I could live here forever."

How old are you? Rising obesity is a national issue. However, California has a lower adult obesity rate than Florida and it has one of the lower obesity rates in the nation.

States with the Lowest Obesity Rates: The State of Obesity
Oh I agree I prefer low humidity, but it is really a personal choice as to what you want and can tolerate. In this respect CA wins by a bit, but other factors do come into play.

Now State to State, CA may be better obesity wise, but having spent a lot of time at beaches in SoCal and FL, more tubby people show up at the beach in CA these days. Bad everywhere for sure and far worse than when I was a teenager (60's)

When it comes to beach weather, FL wins hands down on two major points. More warm days (So and Central FL) and much warmer water than CA ever has and one can chose the temp by choosing the part of FL to go to the beach at, very warm to nice. In CA it goes from cold to frigid.

CA has MTNs and deserts if that is important to someone. But I can go to some of the most beautiful mountain areas in the world with just a few hours drive from FL (I do not live in FL right now), the Smokies. I hate desert, so CA can keep all it wants.

Neither State is "better" than the other, just different and better or worse in different areas of concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 10:30 AM

17,590 posts, read 10,656,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I think I can buy Nov. to March being more pleasant in Miami. April might be a toss up. I was in Miami in May for a business trip once and the first thing I wanted to do was get the hell out of my "business casual" clothes once the work day was done. Muggy and miserable is what I remember.
To me may and June are a toss up. July, Aug and Sept are better in general in SoCal, but not a big deal if you are at the beach. Now July, Aug, Sept in Bakersfield or Fresno as an example ............ FL wins even in most areas except in the very center just above the Everglades. FL (southern and central) are not that far from the water and both sides send sea breezes to the interior, kinda like living in Escondido or Murrieta, CA where we got sea breezes almost every day. Now if no breeze then ............. plan on sweating in FL.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:33 AM

2,648 posts, read 4,829,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post

Which looks better to you? I say an April in Miami easily.

As for May, it's mostly coastal LA that's suffering then. Downtown you will have decent weather.
LA looks much better! At least it cools down at night. Miami looks like a humid hell. Suffering=any temperature above 80F!

Old 04-21-2016, 10:37 AM

893 posts, read 557,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
LA looks much better! At least it cools down at night. Miami looks like a humid hell. Suffering=any temperature above 80F!
Well I strongly disagree, right now I'm comfortable in my shorts and Hawaiian shirt in my place. It's actually not humid, the dew points have been quite low the entire month of April, it actually feels quite cold at night I need a duvet to be warm.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:15 PM

3,015 posts, read 1,651,247 times
Quote:
Compare Miami April 2016:

To Los Angeles April 2016:

Now keep in mind our April 2016 is pretty much dead on average, whereas Los Angeles April 2016 is quite a bit above the historical average.

As for May, it's mostly coastal LA that's suffering then. Downtown you will have decent weather.
Well taking a look at the "average" highs and lows (Wikipedia) I see the following for April.

Miami Beach:
79 - 69

Miami (MIA):
83 - 68

LAX:
66 - 54

Downtown LA (DTLA):
73 - 53

I'll take Miami Beach and even Miami (MIA) over LAX's April readings for sure.

DTLA is a closer call but I'd still give Miami Beach the edge as long as the humidity is not too crazy in April. So yes, I'd say: Miami from Nov. through April. I'd wish for slightly cooler April evenings in Miami (low to mid 60's).

Though, April 2016 has been great in LA east of La Brea Ave, esp. the evenings.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:15 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,404,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I live really inexpensively on a boat
Telemutt do you have any posts detailing your house boat situation? Sounds interesting.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:25 PM

8,551 posts, read 8,889,059 times
Quote:
Compare Miami April 2016:

To Los Angeles April 2016:

Now keep in mind our April 2016 is pretty much dead on average, whereas Los Angeles April 2016 is quite a bit above the historical average.

LA, easily. No humidity to

Old 04-21-2016, 06:33 PM

176 posts, read 179,050 times
FLA is mind-numbingly flat, that make it unlivable for me.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:16 AM

75 posts, read 78,355 times
Funny, I feel the same way about the cold water in California. Body numbing and a big thumbs down for me.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:32 AM

893 posts, read 557,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
LA, easily. No humidity to
I can't argue preferences, it's like arguing if an apple tastes better than an orange. But I prefer to be comfortable - i.e not needing a jacket to remain warm. Looking at LA's April, about half the nights I would need a jacket and a couple of the days as well. But what's even worse is the constant change in temperature. Some days 80s, others 60s, then back to 80s? That's like Miami in January and it gives me a headache. I prefer the climate to be stable and steady, so I don't need to constantly watch the forecast to have to plan my week.

Oh yeah, some humidity is good. Completely dry air is harsh on our lungs, skin, and all mucous membranes. This is why people develop nose bleeds in Arizona. Humidity is only a problem when it makes a hot day feel even hotter because your body's mechanism of sweating is not working. Thankfully Miami this April has been absolutely beautiful, breezy and low-mid 80s. Paradise weather basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or