U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 05:54 PM

96 posts, read 80,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You can make it in both States if you are careful. In FL you will be closer to beaches and be able to visit them more often as the "season" is longer and the water warmer. In CA you are likely to live further from the Beach. How important is that to you? Oh, by the way I am in FL now and in the Tampa area and .... no bugs to speak of and my windshield looks like it did no SoCal as to dead bugs. So. FL has them but the claims of a jillion bugs everywhere is a bit ... well let us say inaccurate. Been here twice this year so far and in about every month over the last few years and strange but, I have yet to see the famous Palmetto bug. OF course I avoid So FL, so that may explain it. Saw alligators ............ at Busch Gardens.
I would love to live close to a beach, at least within a short 5-10 min driving distance but closer is better. At this time in my life I've worked very hard to get where I am and I've always wanted to live close to a beach. The only thing about Florida is the humidity. So each state has it's pros and cons. I'm thinking with the breeze from the ocean there shouldn't be too many bugs. Alligators I can do without. I don't care if someone gave me a house for free I wouldn't take it if alligators were around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 06:03 PM

[quote=moWoW;43624371]Well we currently live in Los Angeles and we are contemplating moving to Delray Beach/Boca Raton Florida this summer. I must say I love California there's a lot to do here within driving distance (depending on traffic which can be daunting) within 2 hours you can be in the desert, mountains or beach. It's also very pretty (mountains, hills, sunshine, beach, although city street are dirty). The weather is amazing, pretty mild all year around in Southern California. Living in Los Angeles is not a charm by all means. I live in West L.A. (10 minutes front the beach) and home prices are above a million for 1200sq. ft. home, real estate is so crazy that's why were thinking of moving. We've grown out of our townhouse and don't want to spend a million dollars on a small home (that is if we could find one). There's a lot of homeless people rummaging through trash on a constancy basis, which drives us nuts. Traffic can be tough, but you'll work from home so that won't be an issue. I actually like the people in general and have a great group of friends, but L.A. has become almost unlivable. Rents are expensive as well. If you have money you can have a good life. 80,000 isn't a lot in a big city, but you can live ok. I really like San Diego County (Carlsbad, Del Mar, La Jolla, etc.) if we were to stay in California. My other half doesn't want to live in Calif because taxes, smaller homes, etc. Since you are flexible I would say CALIFORNIA.

We went to Delray Beach/Boca, FL a few weeks ago and really liked certain things about it. You can get an amazing home with a pool in a gated community with all the amenities (tennis, pool, rec center, golf, etc.) for a quarter of what you'd get in Los Angeles. The roads are wide open and clean. The beach was much prettier than L.A. beaches (San Diego has nice beaches). It's an easier lifestyle although without living there I can't really say anything about the people. I do hear the weather and bugs are awful. I'm still struggling with our possible move, but we can't move anywhere in L.A that makes our lives better - I think Florida would allow us to. Good luck.[/QUOTE

I understand, finance is my first concern. I wouldn't really enjoy an area if I lived in my paradise because if it was too expensive i would be worrying so much about finances I would be stressed all the time. And If I had to work another job to pay my bills then I wouldn't have the time to enjoy the outdoors. That makes sense to me.
With the economy getting worse I think we need to think about finances first. I think you're making a good decision. Living a stress free is priceless. Good luck on your move.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:19 PM

3,546 posts, read 2,238,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
I don't like bugs at all!!!
Google "Florida Bugs"

Your choice? Florida or California-download.jpg

Welcome to California !

Old 04-06-2016, 07:14 PM

12,963 posts, read 7,559,302 times
Quote:
OMG, The alligators scare me. I won't live near a canal. I will try to live close to the beach as possible because there are no gators there. I would worry about my dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Oh, by the way I am in FL now and in the Tampa area and .... no bugs to speak of and my windshield looks like it did no SoCal as to dead bugs. So. FL has them but the claims of a jillion bugs everywhere is a bit ... well let us say inaccurate.
It's winter. They're there but in few numbers. They'll be back in full force soon. Look it up.

Ok. Bugs are a problem. Gators are a problem.
How about rednecks?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:24 PM

9,809 posts, read 7,720,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
It's winter. They're there but in few numbers. They'll be back in full force soon. Look it up.

Ok. Bugs are a problem. Gators are a problem.
How about rednecks?
LOL agreed.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:34 PM

1,180 posts, read 727,707 times
Quote:
I would love to live close to a beach, at least within a short 5-10 min driving distance but closer is better. At this time in my life I've worked very hard to get where I am and I've always wanted to live close to a beach. The only thing about Florida is the humidity. So each state has it's pros and cons. I'm thinking with the breeze from the ocean there shouldn't be too many bugs. Alligators I can do without. I don't care if someone gave me a house for free I wouldn't take it if alligators were around.
You know, you might want to check out the North Carolina/South Carolina coastal area rather than Florida. The Atlantic has a better climate than the Gulf and the Carolinas are far enough north of Florida to be cooler. I stayed in St. Augustine, Fl which is on the Atlantic side in late June and the Atlantic breezes made it quite tolerable...nice even.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:38 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,858,194 times
Quote:
I don't like bugs at all!!!
What about snakes?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Google "Florida Bugs"

Attachment 167965

Welcome to California !

Are you kidding me? Are they really that big or is that photoshopped? It's almost the size of a cat.

I don't know if i can live in an area with bugs like that. ARe they really all over the place? Please tell me there not>

Old 04-06-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
What about snakes?

I don't like any of them, snakes, bugs, mosquitos, spiders, gators, bobcats ( I heard bobcats are also in California) Doesn't California have black widows and scorpions or is that just Arizona and New Mexico?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
You know, you might want to check out the North Carolina/South Carolina coastal area rather than Florida. The Atlantic has a better climate than the Gulf and the Carolinas are far enough north of Florida to be cooler. I stayed in St. Augustine, Fl which is on the Atlantic side in late June and the Atlantic breezes made it quite tolerable...nice even.

I thought about one of the Carolinas but I don't know anyone that lives there. It's hard moving somewhere by myself and not knowing anyone in the state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or