U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2016, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,254 posts, read 1,630,168 times
Reputation: 2893

Advertisements

The more I research it and from personal experience having spent time in both places, I prefer Florida over California.

California is completely detached from reality. The state is going through a massive economic boom currently but they have used the economic boom to expand all these programs, to increase minimum wages to $15, have in some jurisdictions a dozen days of sick pay.

California loves to manufacture social problems. They have lots of homeless because they like regulation. They have lots of poverty because they spend alot on welfare instead of having a robust middle-class job market like Florida.

Florida cities smell wonderful and are lush and green with little pollution. Los Angeles while not as polluted as people think, still smells a bit weird and there is an ugly brown cloud.

Florida also has a very reasonable cost of living and very low-taxes and needless regulation. The houses going for $200,000 in Tampa Bay and Orlando suburbs are far nicer with more land then those $800,000 mail-order catalog homes in Los Angeles and San Diego on tiny lots.

Most of the health-care facilities from the outside look outdated and ghetto compared to the ones in Florida. But then again the hospitals in California are unionized with 150,000 a year nurses and it's a bastion of low-reimbursement Medicaid and CHIP patients.

As a person with no kids, I love the fact Florida has many middle-class areas that there are few screaming children. I can go an entire day in Pinellas County or Sarastoa County and hear no screaming un-ruly kids.

The only way you get away from loud, screaming families with huge numbers of children in California is to go to a very rich area.

Outside of the elite areas in California people are always sneezing and coughing in the state. When I was in Florida people seemed healthy and I hardly heard any sneezing and coughing when out and about.

California also besides a few small areas is a terrible place to be single compared to Florida. Californians have big families although the housing prices are luckily putting a damper on that as of late. Every time I go to California it seems to be just families with kids outside of the Westside LA and the coastal areas in San Diego.

As a single person I can rent a room in a private house or have roommates for a low price in California but the housing prices are absolutely hillarious in Southern California.

Californians have a mentality that there current economic boom will never end despite it traditionally being a boom and bust state.

I also find Californians much more unattractive physically and attitude then the people in Florida.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 04-23-2016 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2016, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,995 posts, read 1,639,780 times
Reputation: 3459
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Aaaaand the State they live in has minimal impact on an individuals weight, as it is the attitude of the person that impacts obesity. You eat too much, it matters not where you live. You eat a decent diet (not a rigid diet, just wise eating choices) and you will NOT be obese. Exercise is important and both CA and FL offer a lot to do year round. The slight difference can be based on several other factors such as CA potentially having a higher Asian population than FL, as an example, plus a higher Black population. It would be interesting to see the obesity rates by ethnicity.
.
Of course, it is up to each individual to consume a healthy diet, etc. Though you can't control what others do, you can certainly live a healthy lifestyle in either state. No argument there.

The reason for posting the obesity rates by state was in response your post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Oh, if you are really overweight humidity will be an issue for sure. probably explains why the last time I was in CA and at the beaches (last year) the majority of the people were overweight. Not so much in FL but CA is now way worse than when I grew up in CA, and I lived at Newport Beach in the Summers. Not really a State problem as much as the volume of junk food in every class of restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 07:42 PM
 
893 posts, read 555,002 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Yeah, Hawaii is a more popular warm weather/water destination for Californians than Fla.
Cabo San Lucas is an even more popular warm water destination and is closer. You can also *drive* to the sea of Cortez (San Felipe).

But there is something about living near warm water as opposed to sitting in a plane for 4 hours to visit it. Just was scuba diving today in fluorescent blue waters off Key Largo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 10:02 PM
 
Location: LBC
4,155 posts, read 4,481,432 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Aaaaand the State they live in has minimal impact on an individuals weight, as it is the attitude of the person that impacts obesity. You eat too much, it matters not where you live. You eat a decent diet (not a rigid diet, just wise eating choices) and you will NOT be obese. Exercise is important and both CA and FL offer a lot to do year round. The slight difference can be based on several other factors such as CA potentially having a higher Asian population than FL, as an example, plus a higher Black population. It would be interesting to see the obesity rates by ethnicity.

Just found this.Special Report: Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Obesity - Black Communities

African American adults are nearly 1.5 times as likely to be obese compared with White adults. Approximately 47.8 percent of African Americans are obese (including 37.1 percent of men and 56.6 percent of women) compared with 32.6 percent of Whites (including 32.4 percent of men and 32.8 percent of women).2

That directly impacts FL.
For that analysis have any value, you would need to continue breaking down each respective group by state/region in order to support your premise local culture does not affect likelihood for any group or subgroup to be obese.

And you would also need to look at rates other than African American, as the rate of obesity among Latinos is nearly that of African Americans nationally, and exceeds it in the childhood rate, and Latinos comprise double the population in CA as compared to FL.

Special Report: Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Obesity

About the only fair generalization to be made in comparing two massive state is: obesity is a serious problem in California, and its even worse in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 08:04 PM
 
3,539 posts, read 1,513,328 times
Reputation: 2984
FL over CA hands down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Westminster/Huntington Beach, CA
1,780 posts, read 1,242,179 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Wild fires can occur everywhere. However CA gets them virtually every year and not just in isolated areas. I watched several fires from my front porch in Riverside County and they were not that far from my home and many homes burned. Ditto in SD County. It is common while in FL it takes a special drought, etc. yes more lightening in FL, but still a very rare event. Then the mud slides .....
True, but there are those of us who live within the urbanized areas 10-15 miles of the coast, where a wildfire is basically impossible. The LA basin is largely devoid of open hills until you get into Orange County, tiny parts of Palos Verdes peninsula, And obviously areas around the SaMo and San Gabriel Mtns.

Wildfires and CA go hand in hand. Just enough precip to have native brush and grasses, but not enough to keep the risk of wildfires out. That and the fact that our climate has a wet season along with an extremely dry season (precip wise not humidity). CA could might as well be "Wildfire Alley", but you do have the option to live in an area where there is a 0% chance of one affecting you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 05:20 PM
 
585 posts, read 678,878 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
True, but there are those of us who live within the urbanized areas 10-15 miles of the coast, where a wildfire is basically impossible. The LA basin is largely devoid of open hills until you get into Orange County, tiny parts of Palos Verdes peninsula, And obviously areas around the SaMo and San Gabriel Mtns.

Wildfires and CA go hand in hand. Just enough precip to have native brush and grasses, but not enough to keep the risk of wildfires out. That and the fact that our climate has a wet season along with an extremely dry season (precip wise not humidity). CA could might as well be "Wildfire Alley", but you do have the option to live in an area where there is a 0% chance of one affecting you.
Where the heck is SaMo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,934 posts, read 1,698,330 times
Reputation: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
Where the heck is SaMo?
LMAO! SaMo=Santa Monica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 09:42 PM
 
585 posts, read 678,878 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
LMAO! SaMo=Santa Monica

I was born and raised in Santa Monica! I have lived in Brentwood all of my adult life. I still stay in touch with my Santa Monica High School friends. You freaking transplants and wannabes are making this crap up. As a local I have never heard the acronym SaMo before. It's like the acronym "Cali" which is a city in Coloumbia not the state of California. Now I'm LMFAO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Westminster/Huntington Beach, CA
1,780 posts, read 1,242,179 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
I was born and raised in Santa Monica! I have lived in Brentwood all of my adult life. I still stay in touch with my Santa Monica High School friends. You freaking transplants and wannabes are making this crap up. As a local I have never heard the acronym SaMo before. It's like the acronym "Cali" which is a city in Coloumbia not the state of California. Now I'm LMFAO!
Lol. I've never lived in Santa Monica, but I'm SoCal born and raised, so your in no place to call me a wannabe or transplant. That's funny you say you went to Santa Monica High, because a few locals I know have been calling it SaMo High for decades.

I used it whilst typing, because it's easier on a phone and shortening it to SM wouldn't distinguish it enough for those reading from other states. So you don't have to look at it so culturally, got it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top