U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 09:07 PM

8,556 posts, read 8,891,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
Although I'm selling my Brentwood home I'm keeping my Indian Wells home. I've had too many people tell me that they wish they could come back to California but couldn't afford to. We have always loved the desert as much as the beach. In Southern California going to the beach is just not fun anymore.

Good idea. I think a lot of your direct experience of course is living in the heart of LA. When I was a kid we lived in Redondo Beach for 3 years so I know the south Bay well and my son goes to UCLA now. That may skew your view a little bit. I think the beaches outside LA are still relatively quiet. Central coast is fantastic, Santa Barbara even much of SD, Orange & Ventura Counties. And of course going north.
I did enjoy Florida but for a Californian I had a hard time being on the east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
You just have to choose the right small property in the heart of the city.

[IMG][/IMG]

My "tiny" 5500 s.f. lot with a 1800 s.f. 88 y.o. seven room (beautiful Spanish Revival) house.

Got the woods out back, the village out front and the city and sea a couple of miles down the hill.

Edit: and with amazing neighbors with whom we hang out with in the neighborhood/city venues and in each other's houses and gardens all the time a short walk away- all while we respect each other's privacy.

Different strokes for different folks to be sure and I respect all choices but there are amazing choices yet available in coastal urban California, for a price.

Very nice....love it.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:10 PM

13,003 posts, read 7,574,795 times
I live blissfully in approximately 64 square feet of waterfront living space - plus some additional storage in the hulls and lazarette - and can change my views on a whim.

The thing about T. Damon's space, and my space, compared to murfslaw's space - is murfslaw's lifestyle relies on inequitable and unsustainable use of resources.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:32 PM

585 posts, read 681,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Good idea. I think a lot of your direct experience of course is living in the heart of LA. When I was a kid we lived in Redondo Beach for 3 years so I know the south Bay well and my son goes to UCLA now. That may skew your view a little bit. I think the beaches outside LA are still relatively quiet. Central coast is fantastic, Santa Barbara even much of SD, Orange & Ventura Counties. And of course going north.
I did enjoy Florida but for a Californian I had a hard time being on the east coast.
I never thought of the house being located in the heart of the city. We are on a bluff overlooking the southern edge of Rustic Canyon and our view to the west is Will Rodgers Staet Beach. We watch the sun set most evenings. I know Redondo Beach well as my office was in Manhattan Beach for nearly 30 years.

Go Bruins!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I live blissfully in approximately 64 square feet of waterfront living space - plus some additional storage in the hulls and lazarette - and can change my views on a whim.

The thing about T. Damon's space, and my space, compared to murfslaw's space - is murfslaw's lifestyle relies on inequitable and unsustainable use of resources.

Not everyone can live on a boat...hope you're not leaking any oil

Old 04-09-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
I never thought of the house being located in the heart of the city. We are on a bluff overlooking the southern edge of Rustic Canyon and our view to the west is Will Rodgers Staet Beach. We watch the sun set most evenings. I know Redondo Beach well as my office was in Manhattan Beach for nearly 30 years.

Go Bruins!

I guess when I say heart of the city, its in reference to the beach access. West LA/Santa Monica is definitely urban crowded beaches, but Im sure the view is fantastic up there....

Old 04-09-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Not everyone can live on a boat...hope you're not leaking any oil
Right It's definitely not for most people. Thankfully, too!

No oil leaks on my boats. Ever. Even if I were that lazy, I'd never get away with it these days. Marina managements and Coast Guard would have my sorry butt in a sling with a quickness.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:58 AM

11,845 posts, read 3,230,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I agree with ExpatCA re the Tampa Bay area. I have been there during each of the four seasons, and I haven't had an issue with bugs.

Re humidity, I like humidity. Given that, and trying to give advice...going by how the air feels/IMO if you are okay with how humidity feels in many of the states in the NE part of the U.S., then you will be fine anywhere in the northern half of Florida. If you feel that you could tolerate more humidity, then the southern half of Florida opens up to you.

If you want to avoid Bubbas (LOL), to make choosing easier, I'd avoid the Panhandle. Orlando is great for some things, but obviously not if you want to be near the beaches.

My suggestion...Pinellas County (part of the Tampa Bay area)....specifically Dunedin, Palm Harbor, and Tarpon Springs. Crime is pretty low. Great access to the beaches on Honeymoon Island (via Causeway Caladesi Island, and Clearwater Beach. The Pinellas Trail (an old railroad right of way) goes North/South through Pinellas County, and you could run or walk your dogs along the trail. IIRC, Pinellas is the most densely populated county in Florida. Clearwater Beach especially can get crowded. The great thing though is that Florida allows people to drive scooters with engines up to I think it is 50ccs or 60ccs...might be 75ccs with just a regular DL...don't have to pass a motorcycle test. With one of those....much quicker re getting to beaches when there is traffic. Much north of Tarpon Springs...say Holiday or north of Holiday.....Bubbas. Safety Harbor is great as well, but it is on the bay, rather than St. Joseph's Sound, so farther away from beaches on the Gulf. Re extra work, Bay Care Health System has four hospitals in the general area...2 in Dunedin, 1 in Safety Harbor, and 1 in Clearwater. The air in the area is pretty good too, much better than say at Apollo Beach on the other side of the metro near I-75 and, IIRC, a power plant.

St John's County (St Augustine, etc.), south of Jacksonville is also nice, but I don't like the water and the beaches as much as the beaches on the Gulf side of Florida.

From the Tampa Bay area, you can also take day trips south to Sanibel Island and Captiva Island.

So, given your particular situation, I think Florida is a better choice than California....and, like expatCA, I am a native Californian (I currently live in Texas).

Re above ^^^^^

Typo that the system won't let me correct...

Honeymoon Island (via Causeway Blvd), Caladesi Island, and Clearwater Beach.

NOT

Honeymoon Island (via Causeway Caladesi Island, and Clearwater Beach.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:49 AM

270 posts, read 194,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
My salary is $81,100/year so I don't have to worry about looking for work in Florida.

I want to live in a very nice area close to a beach with nice shopping centers/stores.
I didn't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but OP, you are aware that wages in Florida are ridiculously low, right? Are you sure you can get the same pay in FL?

Also, bugs are an issue down there. I lived in SUPER clean apartment housing with pest inspections included in the rent and still ended up with bugs on a weekly basis. Then, there are the frogs and lizards that I accidentally stepped on just walking down the sidewalk.

If a beach is your only requirement, have you looked into the Carolinas? My understanding is North Carolina has nice beaches and from my understanding tolerable weather.

FYI, I'm a California native and given the choice, would choose my home state in a heartbeat (I love the beach). However, I can tell you now that the pay you listed above won't get you much these days, but probably more than NYC.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
I didn't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but OP, you are aware that wages in Florida are ridiculously low, right? Are you sure you can get the same pay in FL?

Also, bugs are an issue down there. I lived in SUPER clean apartment housing with pest inspections included in the rent and still ended up with bugs on a weekly basis. Then, there are the frogs and lizards that I accidentally stepped on just walking down the sidewalk.

If a beach is your only requirement, have you looked into the Carolinas? My understanding is North Carolina has nice beaches and from my understanding tolerable weather.

FYI, I'm a California native and given the choice, would choose my home state in a heartbeat (I love the beach). However, I can tell you now that the pay you listed above won't get you much these days, but probably more than NYC.
She says she'll earn the same wherever she lives due to working remotely.

That said, several posts here have protested that they have no issues with the bugs. Peter's experience matches mine (and many others'). I have not spent much time in Florida but I did a couple of special training TDY assignments (military) in several locations: Jacksonville, Panama City, and Key West. More bugs than where I grew up in Minnesota which is infamous for savage mosquitoes and black flies and ticks, chiggers, (and did I say ticks?). Y'all are welcome to your "no problems with bugs". I hate 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or