U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-10-2016, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
3,017 posts, read 1,654,296 times
Reputation: 3532

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post

Also, bugs are an issue down there. I lived in SUPER clean apartment housing with pest inspections included in the rent and still ended up with bugs on a weekly basis. Then, there are the frogs and lizards that I accidentally stepped on just walking down the sidewalk.

FYI, I'm a California native and given the choice, would choose my home state in a heartbeat (I love the beach). However, I can tell you now that the pay you listed above won't get you much these days, but probably more than NYC.
Where in Fla. did you live? The reason I ask is I have met a few people from Miami who claim they don't have issues with bugs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2016, 11:33 AM
 
270 posts, read 194,931 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Where in Fla. did you live? The reason I ask is I have met a few people from Miami who claim they don't have issues with bugs there.
Orlando. Definitely take my experience with a grain of salt, but that was my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 02:49 PM
 
17,602 posts, read 10,672,016 times
Reputation: 8520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Where in Fla. did you live? The reason I ask is I have met a few people from Miami who claim they don't have issues with bugs there.
I have been in FL just about every month in the year. The Bug issue is inflated. I was just there last week and had no more bugs on my windshield than I get in CA. I am actually frustrated that I have never seen a Palmetto Bug.

I have seen more snakes in CA,more spiders in CA and ... well OK no gators, but then outside of Busch Gardens and such I have yet to see a gator in FL, except at football games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 02:50 PM
 
17,602 posts, read 10,672,016 times
Reputation: 8520
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGoodwin08 View Post
Wait. You earn $80K and have not recently visited either to decide on a life-altering move???

If you are from NY stick with FL which is primarily expats from NY/NJ who are RUDE as heck, rednecks and thugs from Alabama running drugs and guns. Oh, did I forget that English is now a second language and that you will be required to learn Spanish?

That said, Cali is an acquired taste- depending on where you live. Better quality of life and far fewer whackjobs trying to integrate, er dominate...
UH, you must live in a city of 1. The wack Jobs in CA try to control everyone from Sacramento and every city council.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 03:31 PM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,712,743 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
Hi,

I've been contemplating either moving to Florida or California. I know the weather between the two are different and the summers can be unbearable in the summers in Florida. California has great weather for the most part, however, California is so darn expensive.

I checked and since Florida has no income tax I would bring home a little over $600 per month more in my paycheck and the cost of living is cheaper.

California i would lose $600 monthly and taxes are higher but the weather is gorgeous and I have family out there so I'm back and forth with my decision.

In Florida I could afford to live either on or very close to the beach. California would be impossible financially.

What would your choices be and for what reasons?

Thank you
Theresa

You're not kidding the weather is different, and summer in FL starts in March and goes into Dec. I lived in FL a few years and am back in CA(and happy to be back). I tell people out here who have never experienced FL weather(and it is this way 8 to 9 months out of the year) it's like walking into a bathroom fully dressed after the shower has been running on hot for 5 minutes. In another words very uncomfortable most of the year, unlike CA where even during the hot months the mornings start off cool and after the sun goes down you see a drop in temps, in FL it's already 85 and muggy at 8am, gets to 92 and muggy, at 11pm it's still 86 and muggy...so no break.

BTW my car insurance in CA with a 2014 car is about $400 a year cheaper in CA than it was in FL with a 2008. Groceries are also cheaper in CA, so are the utilities. Home ownership is the big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful_mess View Post
Florida. Easier, less stressful, laid back middle class lifestyle with three coasts and multiple cities to choose from that you could reasonably afford.
Really? I take it you never lived in FL. I saw more car accidents and some horrific ones in a few years in FL, than I did in over 20 in CA....so much for less stressful. I saw "stunts" on the highways in FL(which are narrow and not well planned like CA) that driving became actually frightening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, you couldn't get farther away from your relatives in the US. Interesting choices.

And if you think there are rednecks in CA, wait till you meet the ones in FL.
LOL!!!!!!! I used to call FL "Jerry Springer Country", weird mix of people. But I really didn't know what white trash was until living in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 03:39 PM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,712,743 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I have been in FL just about every month in the year. The Bug issue is inflated. I was just there last week and had no more bugs on my windshield than I get in CA. I am actually frustrated that I have never seen a Palmetto Bug.

I have seen more snakes in CA,more spiders in CA and ... well OK no gators, but then outside of Busch Gardens and such I have yet to see a gator in FL, except at football games.

You're full of beans. FL gets "love bugs", huge invasions twice a year. They get all over your car and if you don't get them off can eat the paint. They actually fly together and are like locusts coming at you.

I learned in FL very quickly, you never put your hand in the mailbox because you don't know what crawled up in there.

I saw bugs in FL of all shapes and sizes, and of course the Palmetto bugs(flying cockroaches), here in CA I get an occasional small spider in the house.

Now I never saw a gator either, but bugs, I have lived in 5 states and I have never seen anything close to what FL has.

So let's not make up stories. FL is a sub-tropical climate, of course there are more bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Aliso Viejo, Orange County, CA
4,985 posts, read 6,388,950 times
Reputation: 4096
Florida does have a reputation for being "bugsy:"
Florida worst state for bugs
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/s...26/daily8.html
"If you’re on the lookout for ants, termites and cockroaches, then the Sunshine State is your place to be.
A new survey of homeowners nationwide shows Florida is the worst state for bug problems, with Louisiana and Texas close behind."

The list tends to change by year, but still:
These Are the Most Vermin-Filled Cities in the U.S. - Bloomberg
Roach motels, mouse traps and rat nests
"Tampa, Fla., is among the roachiest big cities in America. Seattle may be the rattiest. Philadelphia has more mouse sightings per housing unit than any other U.S. city. These are some of the filthy highlights from the U.S. Census Bureau's biennial accounting of rat, mouse, and cockroach sightings across the country. The most recent numbers, collected in 2013, were released last month."

Last edited by pacific2; 04-10-2016 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 08:05 PM
 
17,602 posts, read 10,672,016 times
Reputation: 8520
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Florida does have a reputation for being "bugsy:"
Florida worst state for bugs
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/s...26/daily8.html
"If you’re on the lookout for ants, termites and cockroaches, then the Sunshine State is your place to be.
A new survey of homeowners nationwide shows Florida is the worst state for bug problems, with Louisiana and Texas close behind."

The list tends to change by year, but still:
These Are the Most Vermin-Filled Cities in the U.S. - Bloomberg
Roach motels, mouse traps and rat nests
"Tampa, Fla., is among the roachiest big cities in America. Seattle may be the rattiest. Philadelphia has more mouse sightings per housing unit than any other U.S. city. These are some of the filthy highlights from the U.S. Census Bureau's biennial accounting of rat, mouse, and cockroach sightings across the country. The most recent numbers, collected in 2013, were released last month."
My windshield disagrees and .... I was just in Tampa for 5 days.

Beautiful weather too, high 70's to low 80's nice breeze and minimal humidity.Loved it. Mind you July and Aug are different in the South of FL and central FL, but the coasts are a bit different especially the East Coast in the middle of the State. Mind you, I still prefer CA weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 08:07 PM
 
Location: On the water.
13,029 posts, read 7,584,640 times
Reputation: 10435
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
My windshield disagrees and .... I was just in Tampa for 5 days.

Beautiful weather too, high 70's to low 80's nice breeze and minimal humidity.Loved it. Mind you July and Aug are different in the South of FL and central FL, but the coasts are a bit different especially the East Coast in the middle of the State. Mind you, I still prefer CA weather.
Your windshield is an anecdotal anomaly in relation to scientific observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 08:12 PM
 
Location: LA, CA/ In This Time and Place
5,433 posts, read 3,512,964 times
Reputation: 5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
I work from home as a Nurse doing Case Management for a large insurance company in NYC. My salary is $81,100/year so I don't have to worry about looking for work in Florida.

Right now in NY I'm renting a small, 830 sq foot, 3 bedroom home for $1100. I can do with just 2 bedrooms. It's just me and my 2 dogs.

I don't have that good of a relationship with my immediate family in NY and the California family I've only seen a handful of time in the past 20+ years.

I want to live in a very nice area close to a beach with nice shopping centers/stores. Not run down mini malls with scummy laundromats.
Your income says you can afford living in a place like Los Angeles or San Diego. Take your chance, you are singles with two lovely dogs, you have p,entry of income to yourself and would be well in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top