Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 11:34 AM

83 posts, read 77,872 times

Advertisements

Who in heavens name would stay away from FL because of 'gators???
WE EAT THEM DOWN HERE!
Ah, and you better like the heat like me if you wanna be happy year round.

So please, please go somewhere else to live if you have any doubts whatsoever.. it's getting too darn crowded in season lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 11:54 AM

46 posts, read 38,523 times
Most of Southern California gets hotter than Florida. I need some days with 100+ and can't Florida can rarely get there summer.
Even the coast of LA gets over 100 in heat waves and the valleys get it most days in summer. DTLA gets about 15 days over 100F per year, sometimes as late as November.
Most inland areas of LA have average highs over 90 in summer and more days above 90 than any part of Florida
Palm Springs can guarantee 100 + on any given day between June and September.
Most of LA has gotten pretty close to 100 in winter.
90s happen almost every winter in LA and Miami has not seen 90 once in winter.

Florida is prone to cold snaps and freezes.
Miami's the warmest part of Florida and their record low is 27F.
The rest of Florida has seen record lows much colder, parts have even seen lower than 0F.
Santa Monica's record low is 33F and has never once even seen a freeze.
DTLA's record low is 28F and still warmer than Miami's record low.
DTLA has seen more days over 110F than nights below 32F
Miami only got to 100F once LA has thousands of times.

LA blows all the cities in Florida away when it comes to monthly record highs and Santa Monica beats the entire state when it comes to having warmest record lows.

Florida is totally overrated for heat.
if you like it hot, Southern California is the place to be.

Last edited by SoCalHEAT; 04-13-2016 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 12:27 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHEAT View Post
Most of Southern California gets hotter than Florida. I need some days with 100+ and can't get there even in summer.
Even the coast of LA gets over 100 in heat waves and the valleys get it most days in summer. DTLA gets about 15 days over 100F per year, sometimes as late as November.
Most inland areas of LA have average highs over 90 in summer and more days above 90 than any part of Florida
Palm Springs can guarantee 100 + on any given day between June and September.
Most of LA has gotten pretty close to 100 in winter.

Florida is prone to cold snaps and freezes.
Miami's the warmest part of Florida and their record low is 27F.
The rest of Florida has seen record lows much colder, parts have even seen lower than 0F.
Santa Monica's record low is 33F and has never once even seen a freeze.
DTLA's record low is 28F and still warmer than Miami's record low.
DTLA has seen more days over 110F than nights below 32F
Miami only got to 100F once LA has thousands of times.

LA blows all the cities in Florida away when it comes to monthly record highs and Santa Monica beats the entire state when it comes to having warmest record lows.

Florida is totally overrated for heat.
if you like it hot, Southern California is the place to be.

Depends on where, you're only talking extreme times and you're discounting high humidity.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:31 PM

96 posts, read 111,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
What is that old saying.....'birds of a feather flock together'. I imagine you spent time with people who dislike the humidity as much as you do..

"Plenty of people hate the many, many months of humidity"....hmm. Did I post that no one (besides you) hates the humidity in Florida?....No. Did I post that no one besides you thinks the heatwave lasts for 8 months?...No. What I posted was "Uncomfortable humidity 8 months a year...perhaps for someone who is super sensitive to humidity...but not for the average person". I also wrote that given what you wrote about 'the 8 months', that I imagined you lived in South Florida.

I'm providing a link below, entitled: 'An Analysis of the Beginning, End, Length, and Strength of Florida's Hot Season'...this is an academic analysis that comes from the Florida Climate Center, Office of the State Climatologist, at Florida State University.

They took data from 36 different locations all over Florida for a period of 58 years. Among other things, they identified the Mean Length of the Hot Season (in number of days), the Mean Beginning Day of the Hot Season, and the Mean Ending Day of the Hot Season.

Lets say 8 months is 240 days. All of the 36 locations (except for 1, Titusville) that have a Mean Length of the Hot Season of 240 days or longer are either in South Florida, or they are inland.

Tarpon Springs (1 of the Tampa area towns I mentioned) = 172 days (under 6 months)..not 8 months.
Tampa = 174 days (also under 6 months)...not 8 months.

In one of her later posts, the OP mentioned that she might try the Jacksonville area re less humidity. Jacksonville (at 144 days.....30 days shorter than Tampa and 28 days shorter than Tarpon Springs) is the third to the lowest out of the 36 locations in Mean Length of the Hot Season (in number of days).

The OP san use just the tables and maps within this link to help guide her, and she can also read the academic text that explains their methodology if she is so inclined (which includes why inland usually = hotter).

climatecenter.fsu.edu/topics/specials/floridas-hot-season

I already explained in my previous post how to avoid US 19....use ALT 19...and that at least two of the hospitals I mentioned in a previous post before that are closer to ALT 19 (US 19 Alternate) than they are to US 19.

A non specific generalization for a whole state. Really?

I'm a San Francisco Bay Area native, and I also lived in Newport Beach, California for 7 years. I moved to the Houston Area in 2008.

I agree that some of Florida is humid for longer than both Houston and New York in an average year, and I don't doubt that you sincerely feel the way you do because of your reaction to the humidity, I just think your response is an outlier, not near the mean.

Rather than the two of us going back and forth, the OP can look at the academic link I provided, and use data to help decide. Given that the OP mentioned she might be leaning toward Jacksonville, and that my link shows that, on average, the hot season in Jacksonville is about a month shorter than in Tampa or Tarpon Springs, she seems to have good instincts...she'll figure it out. As she mentioned, she can also move to California if she decides she doesn't like it. If the OP decides on the Jacksonville area, she can always take long weekends to The Tampa Bay Area, or Orlando, or Lee County to see if she likes any of those areas and experience the humidity for herself.

**Apology to the OP......My link won't embed, but the City Data system did accept the URL (last line before Seain Dublin's line that starts 'US 19 is one of the'), so you can just type the URL into a search engine and the page will come up.

Great, thank you for the link. Good information. Now I'm going to check reviews for medical

Old 04-13-2016, 12:46 PM

46 posts, read 38,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Depends on where, you're only talking extreme times and you're discounting high humidity.

I love heat both humid and dry heat and hate cold with a passion.
I haven't met a hot day I didn't love.
Phoenix has slightly better summers for me than LA but do know parts of LA (if you get the right microclimates) gets more heat anywhere in Florida.
My dream is for LA to hit 120F in summer and it could easily happen in my lifetime
I also know that I can avoid ever seeing a freeze again more in the right parts of LA than anywhere in Florida.
I doubt I'll ever see another freeze in DTLA in my lifetime nor will Santa Monica ever get one.
Miami will be certain to get another freeze within a few years.
LA will always win for the HEAT and not seeing cold.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:14 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Trigger-f has, as usual, posted factual info without the personal opinion attached.

I live in the FL, Tampa Bay region. I havent seen a "hot" day since October.
It's getting warmer here this time of year due to the earth's revolution around the sun so summer will be here soon. Right now in Tampa it is 86f with 48% humidity

The facts about weather can be found at https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

In August it will be a bit warmer with daytime temperatures hovering in the 88-92 degree range. At night it will be in the mid 70's. The humidity ranges from 57% to 93% over the course of a typical August, reaching as high as 100% (very humid).
The air is driest around August 25, at which time the relative humidity drops below 63% three days out of four; it is most humid around August 30, rising above 88% three days out of four.

Alligators are not out walking the streets in in FL. They are found in most lakes. In the 27 years Ive lived here I have only seen an alligator while canoeing down a river and at a lake in Sanford FL. Ive never seen one out of the water in the wild.

Bugs do not dominate the atmosphere. Most bugs live in the ground. Here is a list of the top 30 FL insects. Top 30 Most Common Bugs In Florida - BugOfff.com

As with anywhere in the U.S. Health care varies throughout the state. The biggest and best hospitals are in major cities. The doctors here are just as good as doctors anywhere else. The idea is to find a doctor you like out of the thousands of choices.

FL is a very nice place to live. It is warm throughout the state most of the year and after a person acclimates to FL weather they find temperatures under 50f to be chilly.

A note on air conditioning. If you have an ac unit that runs 24/7 either your ac is too small for the space being cooled, it is defective or your house has windows and doors that are leaking air in/out. It may also be a lack of proper insulation in the attic.

What needs to be kept in mind that people have different weather preferences. For FL people need to enjoy warm/hot weather. People in Maine need to enjoy cold weather.

When deciding on a location to live consider the hard facts and not the personal opinions of some who may have lived in the place yo are considering as your wants and needs most likely not match yours.

When using a system such as City-Data, you will find large swings in opinions on everything from A-Z. It is best to seek out factual information and use it to get an idea of the aspects of a particular place.

Last edited by Spring Hillian; 04-13-2016 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 01:36 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
No OP is a poster..

Visitors in the water? You mean most stay on the beach because the water is too cold (hence the sea lions etc..)? Cold water + sea lions/seals = great whites.. I'll give you $100 to get in the water when sea lions are present or at night. See what happens.. I bet the experience will be more traumatic than seeing a gator in a lake in FL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymatter46 View Post
Who in heavens name would stay away from FL because of 'gators???
WE EAT THEM DOWN HERE!
Ah, and you better like the heat like me if you wanna be happy year round.

So please, please go somewhere else to live if you have any doubts whatsoever.. it's getting too darn crowded in season lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Trigger-f has, as usual, posted factual info without the personal opinion attached.

Alligators are not out walking the streets in in FL. They are found in most lakes. In the 276 years Ive lived here I have only seen an alligator while canoeing down a river and at a lake in Sanford FL. Ive never seen one out of the water in the wild.

Bugs do not dominate the atmosphere. Most bugs live in the ground. Here is a list of the top 30 FL insects. Top 30 Most Common Bugs In Florida - BugOfff.com

When deciding on a location to live consider the hard facts and not the personal opinions of some who may have lived in the place yo are considering as your wants and needs most likely not match yours.

When using a system such as City-Data, you will find large swings in opinions on everything from A-Z. It is best to seek out factual information and use it to get an idea of the aspects of a particular place.
Y'all forgot the part where the sign instructs the audience to "Laugh!"

Sheesh. Makes a person wonder if another thing Floridians lack is humor. Lots of teeth and scales aren't worth a damn without a funny bone.

Nevermind.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:59 PM

Could you tell us how FL roads are not planned well? I can go coast to coast on several major roadways in my area (SR 50, SR 44, SR 60) and north and south on US 41, US1, I95, I75, the FL turnpike to name a few.

Where I live I can walk from Publix supermarket to CVS, Wal-Mart and Winn Dixie supermarket as well as a number of other shops and services. That areas is 2 miles from my house. The post office, library, tax collector, drivers license office, utility company are all a short drive away. ]

My dentist is 5 miles from my house but I have at least three in my immediate area. MY GP is within walking distance of the Publix/CVS/Wal Mart/Winn Dixie area. Oh, yes. We have traffic lights at most major/busy intersections. Stop signs on the corners too!

I guess it depends on where you choose to live.

I dont know when US 19 was the nations most deadliest highway in America or what part of it was (it runs from Erie, Pennsylvania to Memphis, Florida, which is just south of St. Petersburg). US19 does not make the "top 10" lists of recent history.

http://blog.upack.com/posts/10-most-...oads-in-the-us

America's Deadliest Highways | CDLLife

10 Most Dangerous Roads in America | When On Earth - For People Who Love Travel

Also, no city in FL makes the top 10 with "sprawl"

Urban Sprawl in the US: The 10 Worst Offenders | ArchDaily

10 U.S. Cities With The Most (and Least) Urban Sprawl | Care2 Causes

The U.S. Cities That Sprawled the Most (and Least) Between 2000 and 2010 - CityLab

You should get your Florida "facts" straight before making wild statements about FL like "they don't impound cars in Florida"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So let's see you moved to a small podunk town in CA and you compare it to major cities in FL?

Ridiculous comparison. Gainesville is a university town, it's not the norm for Florida.

Sorry, I did way more driving in FL because everything was all over the place, CVS one way, Publix another direction. And traffic lights. My dentist was only about 3 miles from my house, it took me 20 minutes to get there. I never saw so much uncontrolled sprawl, it's like no planning or thought went into where places were built.

Here in CA I have Target, Vons, the library, and Trader Joes all within a mile or so. I can run errands here much quicker.

FL roads are designed poorly, they may be smoother in some places but they're not planned well. Southern CA has a freeways system that interconnects, granted some are need of repair, but I get around here quicker than I did in FL.

The scariest driving I ever had to do was in FL. You have Grandma Jones(of course in the left lane) doing 20 miles below the speed limit, and here comes up on your bumper a 16yr old with a full license(because FL allows that) driving their 95 Honda Civic with no muffler who thinks they're in NASCAR.

Everyday, and I mean EVERYDAY I saw some scary stunts, and again saw more crashes(including fatalities) in a few years in FL, than in 20 years in CA.

And don't even get me going on the tailgaters there. Every once in awhile you get a jerk here. FL was "jerk central" when it came to drivers.

Ever drive US 19? One of the deadliest highways in the US. They actually have bumperstickers down there "Pray for me I drive 19"....you can have FL.

Bingo. Someone moves to the middle of nowhere and than complains about having to drive to get places.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Y'all forgot the part where the sign instructs the audience to "Laugh!"

Sheesh. Makes a person wonder if another thing Floridians lack is humor. Lots of teeth and scales aren't worth a damn without a funny bone.

Nevermind.

"Bugs are a problem. Gators are a problem.
How about rednecks?"

Sorry you have a pusillanimity with alligators and insects.

If you were ever to meet a "redneck" you would find them to be the most honest, generous, accommodating and friendly people around.

It's funny how people who never really lived in FL know so much misinformation about the place.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
"Bugs are a problem. Gators are a problem.
How about rednecks?"

Sorry you have a pusillanimity with alligators and insects.

If you were ever to meet a "redneck" you would find them to be the most honest, generous, accommodating and friendly people around.

It's funny how people who never really lived in FL know so much misinformation about the place.

Then they wouldn't be rednecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.