U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:19 AM

96 posts, read 80,649 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been contemplating either moving to Florida or California. I know the weather between the two are different and the summers can be unbearable in the summers in Florida. California has great weather for the most part, however, California is so darn expensive.

I checked and since Florida has no income tax I would bring home a little over $600 per month more in my paycheck and the cost of living is cheaper.

California i would lose $600 monthly and taxes are higher but the weather is gorgeous and I have family out there so I'm back and forth with my decision.

In Florida I could afford to live either on or very close to the beach. California would be impossible financially.

What would your choices be and for what reasons?

Thank you
Theresa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 08:55 AM

25,630 posts, read 30,453,311 times
Taxpayer? California.

Need a job? Florida.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:55 AM

3,006 posts, read 4,088,501 times
Here is my take on Florida having lived in California until the late 1970's.

You don't want to hear my observations on current day California!!

My pick would be somewhere else!!!

usbackroads™: Innocents.....Back East, Florida.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:35 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,127,425 times
Florida is my back up plan if California becomes REALLY unbearable on unaffordable. Doesn't look like that's going to happen. FLA wages are abysmal compared to California. I wouldn't buy in FLA just rent due to hurricanes and global warming. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:35 AM

901 posts, read 860,092 times
Family proximity can have tremendous value that makes spending more money worth it - but the question is how much value? How close are you to those CA relatives? And are you old and potentially soon in need of family help? Would they do anything for you?

If not that close to them, and money is really tight, CA is just not a good choice. It's beauty and weather (btw, the weather is only awesome on parts of the coast; it's very, very hot inland, and the north coast is foggy) does not compensate for being poor. No place does. It's not worth dropping down 2 economic classes to have awesome weather.

What are your living space needs? That relates to cost. Are you aware that CA is not only much more expensive for a dwelling of a given size in bedrooms, it's also much smaller in square footage. And lot sizes are small if you choose a single family house.

Re: jobs, do you work, and what do you do for work? That is a factor. Generally the only non-insanely expensive places in CA are very far from jobs.

In FL, it's more spread out, so depending on your work (if you work) you would want to choose your region carefully.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 AM

12,963 posts, read 7,559,302 times
OP, how's your relationship with bugs? Buddies?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:58 AM

37 posts, read 37,119 times
Florida. Easier, less stressful, laid back middle class lifestyle with three coasts and multiple cities to choose from that you could reasonably afford.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:03 AM

18,124 posts, read 23,000,049 times
Well, you couldn't get farther away from your relatives in the US. Interesting choices.

And if you think there are rednecks in CA, wait till you meet the ones in FL.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:25 AM

96 posts, read 80,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Family proximity can have tremendous value that makes spending more money worth it - but the question is how much value? How close are you to those CA relatives? And are you old and potentially soon in need of family help? Would they do anything for you?

If not that close to them, and money is really tight, CA is just not a good choice. It's beauty and weather (btw, the weather is only awesome on parts of the coast; it's very, very hot inland, and the north coast is foggy) does not compensate for being poor. No place does. It's not worth dropping down 2 economic classes to have awesome weather.

What are your living space needs? That relates to cost. Are you aware that CA is not only much more expensive for a dwelling of a given size in bedrooms, it's also much smaller in square footage. And lot sizes are small if you choose a single family house.

Re: jobs, do you work, and what do you do for work? That is a factor. Generally the only non-insanely expensive places in CA are very far from jobs.

In FL, it's more spread out, so depending on your work (if you work) you would want to choose your region carefully.

I work from home as a Nurse doing Case Management for a large insurance company in NYC. My salary is $81,100/year so I don't have to worry about looking for work in Florida.

Right now in NY I'm renting a small, 830 sq foot, 3 bedroom home for $1100. I can do with just 2 bedrooms. It's just me and my 2 dogs.

I don't have that good of a relationship with my immediate family in NY and the California family I've only seen a handful of time in the past 20+ years.

I want to live in a very nice area close to a beach with nice shopping centers/stores. Not run down mini malls with scummy laundromats.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:25 AM

190 posts, read 301,824 times
Your choice? Florida or California

California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or