U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 PM

2,832 posts, read 4,724,141 times

Advertisements

Oh, don't worry. As a young doctor you'll soon have your choice of red hot women (the ones who used to reject you and thought you were a dorky nice guy) once you learn how to communicate that you're a physician early on in a conversation without making it seem like you artificially injected it into the conversation (and even then, in many cases, it won't matter). You'll also get lots of responses if you mention that in personal ads. In general, women are happy to go golddigging or at least wouldn't mind it. Also, supposedly, our colleges and universities are pumping out more female graduates than male graduates, and college educated women do not want to settle for blue collar men without college degrees (do the math). (Wish it were like that when I was younger.)

I agree with what a previous poster said. In your case, figure out what state and city you'd like to live in and go. Also, remember to bring a stick to fend off all of the women who will swarm around you. And...make sure you don't get any women pregnant because they'll be likely to carry any pregnancies they have with you to term merely to get high child support payments from you. (Who needs to work when the father of your child is a wealthy doctor?) I envy the good time you're in for; you could probably have three different women every night if you wanted (and if you had the time and energy).

I was a naive retarded moron when I was an undergrad and ended up pursuing a science Ph.D. when I should have been able to easily get into medical school had I pursued that route. I've been ruing my stupidity ever since and living in my Aspergers-induced underemployed-involuntarily-out-of-field-and-now-unemployable-in-field poverty. Now I'm too old to gain admission even if I had a perfect MCAT score because I'd flunk the admissions interviews. "So...you have all these other degrees...why would you want to become a doctor if not to make money?" (I'm not sure how I could convincingly provide a bogus, altruistic answer at this point.)

Yes, I'm jealous, as are most men who have to settle for slummin' and dating down. Best of luck to you, and I hope you enjoy having your choice of women. Be very selective, require marriage candidates to have an advanced degree and brains, and sow your wild oats without remorse, but just don't knock anyone up. (Perhaps you could get a vasectomy that could be reversed later.)

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 02-20-2008 at 12:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 12:39 AM

2,832 posts, read 4,724,141 times
I used to contemplate the issue of male-to-female ratios years ago before I got married and even induced what may be an original theory or observation that I've never seen mentioned in print nor heard spoken.

First off, it should be pointed out that you will almost always find a higher ratio of women to men simply because women tend to outlive men. However, sadly, about 106 men are born for every 100 women and not enough men have died (wars, suicide, violence, on-the-job deaths, vehicular accidents) until the mid-forties for those numbers to even out, so it's always going to be rough for men in their mating years. (However, since more men are in prison than women, we might regard them as having been removed from the market.)

The relevant ratio is the ratio of men and women your age +/- 5 years. Actually, married men and women are technically off the market, so the relevant ratio is the ratio of men and women who are unmarried in your age range.

Although some people tend to dismiss the issue of the male-to-female ratio as being unimportant, it's actually much more significant than what it appears to be simply because women and men remove each other from the "market for romance" in a 1-to-1 ratio, leaving a relatively larger oversupply of whichever sex is present in greater numbers (almost always men in the below age 40 categories). Men also tend to marry younger women (better bodies) and women tend to prefer older men (more wealth), which means that you have additional competition from outside of your age range. However, that can work for or against you depending on the trends in the number of people born in your age range (more on that later).

So, for example, consider a town with 100,000 people in your age range. Let's say that 51% of them are men and 49% are women, so we have 51,000 men and 49,000 women. Let's suppose that 60% of the women are married (some to older men) and that 50% of the men are married. Now let's remove them from the market. We now have: 25,500 men and 19,600 women. If 75% of those people are in relationships and "off" the market, that leaves us with: 6375 available men and 4900 available women, or an excess of 1475 men (23.1%) who will have to suffer from that Hawain disease known as Lackonookie. So, the male-to-female ratio really can matter.

One issue is the overall population trend amongst people in your age range. (Here is my original thought.) If men tend to date down, then it's better for men if the trend is for the population to be increasing over time after their date of birth, meaning that more younger women were born after them than men their age. However, the opposite is also true, if the population begins shrinking, then those men are screwed (or, rather, not getting screwed) because they'll be fewer younger women for them.

If you're a male, there isn't much you can do if you were born at a bad time other than to build a good physique, develop excellent social skills, earn a good income, and improve your social status. You can try to date older women, but good luck with that. Women, on the other hand (who were born during a trend of increasing births), can swallow their pride and consider dating men their own age or men who are younger.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:02 PM

27 posts, read 198,819 times
Thanks to everyone for their posts. Helps put things into perspective, and the advice to simply live where I'd want to live anyway is probably the best way to go. I've spent so much time wandering around the country for college, med school, residency, and fellowship that I would like to just stay someplace for a while, so I want to make that choice count.

Couple thoughts I want to pass on to Bhaalspawn regarding -
Quote:
I was a naive retarded moron when I was an undergrad and ended up pursuing a science Ph.D. when I should have been able to easily get into medical school had I pursued that route. I've been ruing my stupidity ever since and living in my Aspergers-induced underemployed-involuntarily-out-of-field-and-now-unemployable-in-field poverty. Now I'm too old to gain admission even if I had a perfect MCAT score because I'd flunk the admissions interviews.
Med schools love Ph.Ds, even ones that have been out a while. I had two in my class and 2 guys in their 40s (one was the same guy). Just tell the interviewer you want to do research (with the MD being the best way of understanding the clinical/research issues out there) and you're golden.
Convincing your wife that its worth it to be a poor student/resident for 7-10 years will be the harder challenge. But then, all three of the guys I mentioned above were married. Good Luck-

Old 11-01-2009, 08:48 PM

276 posts, read 477,916 times
Hi everyone,

I apologize for 'resurrecting' an old thread, but it bears a lot of relevance to my life right now (in fact I found it via Google) and I was wondering if I could get any further information/theories on my particular situation (more on that below).

I first wanted to complement the user Bhaalspawn on his superb post from 02-20-2008. I'm not sure if "Bhaalspawn" still posts here, but science indeed backs up his claim that men born prior to a baby boom generation (pre-baby-boom-men) enjoy a lot more dating opportunities because there are more women available to them, coming directly from the next (younger) baby boom generation. The situation is exactly the opposite for men who are actually part of the baby boom generation. These men have a much more limited pool of women to choose from, because the next (younger) generation is smaller. So indeed, being born "at the right time" can have important consequences for a male.

I came here to ask a question regarding my personal situation and see what statistics/data have to say about it. I'd appreciate some opinions.

I'm currently a 29-year-old single guy, living in Washington DC, supposedly the place with the "best" male/female ratio in the country from a male point of view.

Nevertheless, this year (2009) has been absolutely terrible for me in terms of dating, despite trying my best to meet women, for one simple reason: There are almost no women/girls at any bars, clubs, or other "meeting places" right now. I currently see a lot of frustration coming from males at these establishments, as they try to compete over the almost non-existent females. It is baffling why marriage-age girls seem to have completely abandoned the "mating terrain" this year.

But interestingly, the years 2005 and 2006 were superb for me in terms of dating in DC. I distinctly remember that during these two years, the bars were packed with women, and I serially dated quite a few girls. Opportunities seemed endless, and not just in DC. I visited NYC a few times during this period and even there, women seemed to be everywhere, I seemed to be surrounded by them all the time.

I'm trying to find some scientific/statistical explanation, based on the theory that I'm on the "receiving end" of some social or economic trend which affects the dating landscape. Some theories:

- The "young-and-dating" generation (say, early 20s) had more females in '05/'06 than now (i.e. a "better" sex ratio at that point in time). Not impossible, but I haven't been able to find anything to back this up.

- The recession has affected people's going-out habits, and people don't go out as much.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Eugene80; 11-01-2009 at 08:59 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 02:06 AM

9,211 posts, read 12,366,786 times
You're 29 now.

Many of the women in your ballpark are reaching marryin' age, thus depleting the pool.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 2,267 times
go to new york city. You'll be gold.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:43 PM

12,535 posts, read 13,845,059 times
Austin, Tx.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,377 times
i dont know what all you guys are complaining about. i am decent, fun, pretty, and 35 yrs old and i have been having a very hard time finding anyone for myself. its all women everywhere you go. there is probably 4-5 females for every male out there. its tough to find a decent person to date. at this age i would like to find a serious person who is willing to settle down and get married soon. dont believe in endless dating.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,496 times
Dreams-n-hope what city do you live in? If you advertise this mystical land of a female to male ratio of 4 to 1 then I guarantee guys will move there in droves. I've lived in many parts of the country and everywhere has more guys than girls. I've never been to a single bar, club, pub, or other social hangout and seen more girls than guys. That said, the west coast is loaded with guys so if you don't like where you're at then I'd suggest moving to Los Angeles or San Diego or really any part of California.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:13 AM

3,242 posts, read 1,454,003 times
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC. The number of beautiful friendly women there is insane, its probably the best place to be a single man in America. You'll just see beautiful women everywhere and they are nice, there's a massive shortage of men and its a place where a lot of beautiful women made the first move to me. The economy isn't the best there but the dating scene is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.