U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM

27 posts, read 199,188 times

Advertisements

My high school/college friends have married and scattered around the country with their families, and I'm now a 33 yr-old single guy just finishing up a medical residency trying to decide where to live. One of my biggest priorities is finding a place to live where the male-female ratio of women aged 25-35 is in my favor.

The usual lists of good cities for singles doesn't take either factor into account. I've just spent the last 4 years of residency in two cities that are ranked high for total # of singles but a huge proportion of those were college age, and girls in their early twenties are too immature for me. I also spent a fair amount of time in Denver in my youth and definitely felt like the truly attractive women there had so many suitors that you had to take a number. I'm not looking a "trophy wife", I favor the naturally cute "girl next door" look, although it's important to me than she is fairly slender.

Thank you for your thoughts-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 AM

43 posts, read 230,293 times
If your a doc, you should be able to skip to the front of the line! I live in Denver now, and have found that the ratio is pretty even among young professionals.

Statistically speaking, you will want to be in large east coast cities. Chicago, NYC, Washington. I think Wash probably has the best ratio.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 PM

1,065 posts, read 2,604,666 times
Gainesville, Florida
52% female 48% male
median age 26.4
Go Gators!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:29 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,775,739 times
Some St. Louis info from City-Data

Males: 163,567 (47.0%)
Females: 184,622 (53.0%)

Median resident age: 33.7 years
Missouri median age: 36.1 years

Races in St. Louis:
Black (51.2%)
White Non-Hispanic (42.9%)
Hispanic (2.0%)
Two or more races (1.9%)
Vietnamese (1.0%)
American Indian (0.8%)
Other race (0.8%)

For population 25 years and over in St. Louis
High school or higher: 71.3%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.1%
Graduate or professional degree: 7.6%
Unemployed: 11.3%

Mean travel time to work: 25.1 minutes

For population 15 years and over in St. Louis city
Never married: 41.5%
Now married: 32.7%
Separated: 4.4%
Widowed: 9.2%
Divorced: 12.3%

St. Louis has some great hospitals as well. I'd think you could find a job in the area.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:36 PM

888 posts, read 106,428 times
1) Go to Census Bureau Home Page
2) Type in the city and state that interest you (on the right, called "Population Finder"). Click on the correct city.
3) Go to the left side of the screen and click on the "People" section (under the heading "Population Finder")
4) Scroll down to "Relationships".
That will then take you to a US Census Community Survey report (for 2006) called "Marital Status".
5) Click on the Marital Status report.
I find that this report is the best for determining singlemale/female ratios. It has all of the major breakdowns (single, married, divorced, ethnicity, etc.)

One note - The survey is updated for 2006 for most large and medium sized cities. However, smaller cities are not covered. In that case, look up the county.

If you find the information useful, please give me some rep points!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 PM

27 posts, read 199,188 times
Quote:
If your a doc, you should be able to skip to the front of the line! I live in Denver now, and have found that the ratio is pretty even among young professionals.
Thanks to everyone for their comments. Denverbulldog-your post about the ratio being even about young professionals is encouraging. When I lived in the Denver area for a summer during college, the ratio definitely seemed skewed toward more men than women, but I suppose as a young professional I might run in a diifferent crowd this time around. Any other general thoughts on the current dating scene in the greater Denver area? Looks, political leanings, etc.
Thanks

Old 02-13-2008, 11:32 AM

5,471 posts, read 14,435,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrock View Post
Thanks to everyone for their comments. Denverbulldog-your post about the ratio being even about young professionals is encouraging. When I lived in the Denver area for a summer during college, the ratio definitely seemed skewed toward more men than women, but I suppose as a young professional I might run in a diifferent crowd this time around. Any other general thoughts on the current dating scene in the greater Denver area? Looks, political leanings, etc.
Thanks
Denver itself has a very skewed male female ratio-- a majority male population. Boulder is even worse. Places like Golden are even worse yet. Any ski town in the mountains will be absolutely outrageous, like over 60% male. The suburbs have better ratios, but aren't exactly the most exciting places for young professionals. Some of the suburbs, Aurora for example are 50-50.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 8,301,986 times
Check out this website Article - Gender in the United States. The data is not broken down by age cohort, but there are some interesting trends on a county by county basis. Overall, it seems that the areas east of the Mississippi have the highest female to male ratio while western states tend to be more male predominant.

Seriously though, as a physician, unless you're a total loser in other respects, you should be a top catch anywhere you go. Pick your next home based on lifestyle preference or job opportunities and you should be fine.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 PM

43 posts, read 230,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrock View Post
Thanks
Dating in Denver is similar to anywhere else. I don't really look at ratios that much, but I think in my area, central Denver, it is even. I think there is a perception of a lot of guys in Denver because guys are more likely to go out than girls to the major nightlife spots. But that isn't the best scene for dating in Denver, I think. Best way to meet girls in an environment that they will give you a shot is things like rec sports leagues, through work, at a neighborhood pub, volunteering, etc.

I think anyone who uses a ratio as an excuse for the lack of dating success in a place like Denver just isn't putting enough effort into it or going to the wrong places. Few people move to Denver for the nightlife, even though it is good. Its definitely not at the center of the social scene. This might be what throws a lot of people off, coming from most other cities where that is the center of the social scene.

The look I think is most frequent look in Denver would be the cute midwestern girl. Personality wise too. People tend to be friendly when you talk to them in the right environment. You'll get a good variety of political leanings in Denver. Neighborhoods like Uptown and Capitol Hill are more left. Lodo/Riverfront Park are probably more right than the others.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:20 PM

858 posts, read 1,978,533 times
For some of us, the higher male-female ratio in Denver isn't a bad thing.

For many of my "girlfriends", I have noticed that they seem to have a new beau every week, where my male friends do have a hard time meeting their ideal mate.

I agree with Vegas in that the suburbs have a generally even ratio, as your population of married couples is dramatically higher. Boulder and other foothills and mountain communities will most definitely have higher concentrations of men.

In all reality, it doesn't really matter where you are when it comes to ratios, as it's all relative. You could be in a city full of women and still not find the right one. It boils down to what you're looking for - physical, mental, financial, family-oriented, etc. - and how much effort you're willing to put forth to meet her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.