U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 01:51 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,121,351 times

Advertisements

Depends. Looking at a basic indicator, food and clothes cost 6-7% more in HI. Housing, transportation, and entertainment are 16-33% less than San Fran.

Island sickness, only you can answer that. I have friends who have lived there for years and never tired of it.Other can't wait to get somewhere else. IMO, a lot of that is how you condition yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 01:18 AM

3,063 posts, read 1,808,546 times
Yeah, it's called Oakland, CA

Old 04-09-2016, 11:14 AM

54 posts, read 26,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Yeah, it's called Oakland, CA
Isn't this city has a super high level of crime?

Old 04-09-2016, 12:32 PM

21,196 posts, read 30,388,339 times
How about Arcata CA up in Humboldt County? If Redwoods pass as "tall pines" (which they are in essence) it hits the rest of your criteria.

City of Arcata, Arcata/Blue Lake, Humboldt County, California

Old 04-09-2016, 04:28 PM

84 posts, read 263,216 times
Eugene, Oregon

Old 04-10-2016, 01:08 PM

3,063 posts, read 1,808,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by permanent alien View Post
Isn't this city has a super high level of crime?
Just don't do drugs and steal drugs, you'll be fine.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:29 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,140,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I have no problem with stoners in general, but the place is a bit a of magnet for all-purpose deadbeats, which blows.

Prescott is nice.

Yeah, ummm, well, most of the hippies have fled the area. These are stereotypes of Santa Cruz that are just silly.
UCSC is here. There are many educated and "successful" people all over the county.
Not to mention that it's been infiltrated / invaded by Silicon Valley people. And it's not a magnet for "all-purpose deadbeats" although, because Santa Cruz is a small city, it has the problems that all cities have and homelessness is one of those problems.
It's extremely expensive, it's gentrified and yuppified.
I still live in the county. One should always consider the entire county and not limit oneself to S.C. proper. There are many good things about living on the MOnterey bay.
And the tall trees are redwoods and not pine trees.
Although there are some pines around.
I don't think that this area is what you have in mind o.p.. And most of coastal CA is either extremely expensive or perhaps not where you'd want to live due to isolation and joblessness and crime in a few of the more northern ca communities.
There are communities all over the west that come close to meeting your criteria although you'll have to tolerate some lower temps at times.
I'll post more tomorrow. Gotta run.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:38 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,140,002 times
Ashland, Oregon although i don't know how close you need to be to a city.

And you have some conflicting criteria.

City of Ashland, Oregon - HOME

Old 04-11-2016, 05:45 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,024,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by permanent alien View Post
sounds nice, but expensive

I think the sun there isn't moderate, but very hard (maybe I'm wrong, but isn't there is a drought?)

I haven't seen much of a downtown when I was there (it was awhile age, maybe something changed though)

is these criteria are only for California? What about other places. In the other topic ppl suggested Lexington. Is there too harsh climate?

What about OR and WA is there really raining everyday like 7 month a year (like some people say)?
The midwest (Ie Lexington) can get blistering hot/humid during the summer.
As other poster have mentioned, your criteria pretty much limits you to coastal california.

The big trees are on the northern part. the pleasant weather in the southern part (although the weather in the bay Area is also very pleasant)

the Drought is a cyclical thing... You learn to live with it...

Old 04-11-2016, 05:47 PM

3,945 posts, read 2,220,538 times
But Ashland gets hot summers with an average high of 87.6F in July and a record high of 108F in Aug and 5 months with record highs above 100F https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashland,_Oregon I still think that the best fit would be coastal CA south of San Fran and the area within the Olympic rain shadow Olympic Rain Shadow - Information and Resources
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.