Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:15 PM

5 posts, read 2,910 times

Advertisements

First off, I'm a 25 year old male. I've lived in GA my whole life and of course I've always wanted to up and live but never did. Last year I was working in Savannah, GA and have to say...I love the IDEA of Savannah but some things prevent me from moving there. I love the idea of commuting by bike and/or getting around town in general. No better feeling than ditching the car to walk/bike from place to place and boy did I love the many options of where to eat. The biggest disappointment was definitely the rest of Savannah, GA outside of the main area. Specifically, River Street or just the general tourist area. I will say this though, the crime is pretty bad there. If it weren't for the college...it would be worrisome to travel around town but I digress. The main point of this all is to try and gather a list of bike friendly/commute cities or towns that have diverse restaurants and overall newish ammenties. I don't mind going a little further away for a few things but nothing too crazy. I have been looking into this quite a bit but hoping for a more personal feedback versus numbers or grading system to help. I know it would be easier to just go visit but with work and bills I can't visit them all. By all means, if you have any questions ask away. This is my first post so I'll take any constructive criticism you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 07:39 PM

5,248 posts, read 5,960,240 times
Welcome

There are lots of places that have those things you listed, in order to narrow it down can you tell us a little more about what you're looking for? Right now I count Bike Friendly, Restaurant offerings, and Over all newish amenities(what exactly do you mean by this one?).

What kind of climate are you looking for? Do politics matter? Do you want to be closer to large bodies of water and nature ect..

These kind of things can help narrow it down.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,951,941 times
Almost any smaller city or mid-sized city college town will likely have a walkable, trendy area with lots of younger people, food choices and bike lanes. But as mjlo suggested, need more of the wish list.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:02 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,262,905 times
Davis, CA.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:39 AM

I would prefer to be within driving distance, about 30min drive. As far as nature goes, if there are parks around then I can go without wooded areas. At least with parks you can have the option. When I mentioned bike friendly, it was more towards an option to travel primarily by bike in and out of town. Climate can be important but as long it's not snowing every day I'll be fine overall. I guess by newish ammenties is just general franchise business since I know smaller towns are miles away from anything big.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
I definitely agree regarding the college town aspect and would suggest places like Boulder CO, Eugene OR or Corvallis OR. Boulder has the reputation of being expensive but there are even bike-friendly smaller towns nearby such as Louisville which are reasonably-priced and well within 30 minutes of Boulder. Eugene shares a similar reputation for cost but you might find Corvallis a good less-expensive option.

Explore | Downtown Boulder, CO
Welcome to Historic Downtown Louisville, Colorado
Visit Corvallis, Oregon: Bike It. Hike It. Enjoy It!
Explore | Downtown Eugene, Oregon | Events, Lifestyle & Culture

Old 04-07-2016, 05:24 PM

I'll definitely have to look into those areas. I've already come to terms with the cost of living being higher than what I'm use to because I'm paying next to nothing where I'm at. I've been considering checking out California, hear good things about it there overall.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:27 AM

226 posts, read 255,380 times
Corvallis is not cheaper than Eugene.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:29 AM

I'm actually planning to check out a few towns in South Carolina. Specifically, Greenville and Mount Pleasant. I'll be passing through Charleston so I'll probably check it out too

Old 04-09-2016, 12:25 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palekids View Post
I'm actually planning to check out a few towns in South Carolina. Specifically, Greenville and Mount Pleasant. I'll be passing through Charleston so I'll probably check it out too
You might also look at Columbia. It's the most progressive city in the state with a lot of growth happening and has some very appealing core/downtown neighborhoods you might like too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.